Nova Scotia Election Poll

Who will win in Nova Scotia?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
The NDP should win it unless something dramatic happens.

Both parties seemed to have made the mistake of dismissing the Liberals as a spent force.

I don't think so the Liberals are in the background screaming look at me. I mean honestly the leader looked like a robot tonight I don't think he won any votes.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone in Nova Scotia campaigning to reduce the size of their government? Why do you need so many representatives? Population less than Calgary (or Edmonton, or Ottawa, or whatever). Over 50 representatives. Why?

Maybe the Maritime provinces need to merge up and reduce their overhead. It would be a great step on being a little more self-sufficent.

PEI - 27 members

NS - 52 members

NB - 55 members

For a total of 134 members representing 1,828,252 people. That's absurd. Ontario has fewer MPPs (107). Or Alberta at 83. For example.

That's huge government out East. You could cut that in half and save a ton of cash/taxes. Is anyone proposing such measures? Or are they all too concerned with being able to help out their political friends with lucrative jobs?

By that logic, geoffrey, would a single person be the only legislator a town of 15,000 would need?

Or perhaps, the amount of knowledge required to do the job decreases arithmetically in proportion to the number of people being represented? If so, surely the Premier of Prince Edward Island can handle the workload of his entire goverment by himself, seeing as a Federal Cabinet usually weighs in at around 30 members, and Prince Edward Island is 1/30th the size of the country.

You must consider the dynamics of the group involved before you can determine what is the appropriate number of representatives.

Just saying it seems awfully wasteful to have provinces smaller than many cities. Why not amalgamate them and save Canadians money? We pay alot in transfers to these provinces, I have to wonder if much of that is to support these governments. The Maritimes would probably be alot more financially healthy as one entity rather than a splintered group.

I'd make the same argument out here with Alberta and BC. Together we'd have considerable influence on Ottawa. Apart, we have none. It's not an anti-East argument, just a common sense one.

With that logic...we should jsut amalgamate the entire country...I know you'd love that, right? All the decisions could be made in Ottawa...or better yet...right in the middle, in Winnipeg.

What? I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. That wasn't my logic at all.

What? I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. That wasn't my logic at all.

Sure it is. Why should we waste money on other elvels of government...lets just have one giant administrative centre. It would sve us tons of money. We shouldn't let things like the Constituion and the agreements that were signed during Confederation keep us from saving money after all.

We have provinces, and the provinces that we do, for a reason. We can't arbitrarily decide to start amalgimating them because we don't think that there are enough people living there to justify their provincial existance.

BTW, Albertan and BC will both be getting larger voices when the electoral lines redrawn very soon...or corse Ontario's seats will grow by more than the other two will grow combined...and Ontario will still be getting short changed by about 10 seats.

I don't see what Nova Scota, with a per capita GDP of $36,500 or New Brunswick, with a per capita GDP of $36,500 would want to merge with PEI, with a per capita GDP of $33,700....putting the three poorest provinces together won't make them rich I don't think. Now, I'm sure they'd all love to merge with Newfoundland and Labrador though, give it's $62,000 per capita GDP.

I also don't see why Alberta, with a per capita GDP of $81,400, would want to merge with British Columbia, with a per capita GDP of $45,500. You'd be giving up one thing for another...and I doubt you'd like it.

Ok. the vote is today... I think... and it looks like the MLW pundits were ahead of the curve. Originally it looked like a mix bag, but there were a number here (NOT ME) who suggested an NDP government and a larger number suggested there was going to be a Majority government in NS.

All the articles heading into todays vote that I have glanced at, appear to support that position.

So..... If the NDP win a Majority today ... congratulate yourself.

If the NDP win a Minority today... (I told you so)

and if any other government gets control.... Those minority MLW predictors can pat themselves on the back, and rub the noses of all the mainstream polls.

We shall see.

So..... If the NDP win a Majority today ... congratulate yourself.

If the NDP win a Minority today... (I told you so)

I said NDP victory but I just don't enough about the local riding fights to say if it will be majority or minority. The Liberals could be the spoilers.

The federal NDP should take note about how to run a centrist campaign from Nova Scotia.

I said NDP victory but I just don't enough about the local riding fights to say if it will be majority or minority. The Liberals could be the spoilers.

The federal NDP should take note about how to run a centrist campaign from Nova Scotia.

Well, I don't know alot about the Province either, so I made a guess based on some news reports there.

There seemed to be a run on elections in various provinces etc, so I thought it would be fun to put up a poll for as many as I was aware of.

Coming up next, Progressive Conservative Leadership race in Ontario.

(Sorry about that Sask NDP leadership race, now over an done.)

Thar hasn't exactly worked out on the federal front. You think it will work provincially?

Considering 80% of NDP donations come from real people, while only 45% of the Liberals do I think they will be in big trouble. Although they do have those millions in kick backs they got in the 70 and 80' from the tolls and liquor stores it might take a while.