Commercializing Flash Mob Dances

August1991

Perhaps I have this wrong,
started this in January with a clip in Liverpool.

Already posted it.

Now,
in the Antwerp Station for a Belgian reality TV show.

I've seen it but it isn't a flash mob but a rehearsed dance piece in both cases in a public space.

Edited by jdobbin

Perhaps you've confused "Flash Mob dances" with "Flash Dance mobs"? :)

Indeed, these appear to have taken a lot of rehearsal and planning, which is anathema to the concept of "flash mob", which is to be spontaneous and random.

-k

Already posted it.
Link?
Perhaps you've confused "Flash Mob dances" with "Flash Dance mobs"?

Indeed, these appear to have taken a lot of rehearsal and planning, which is anathema to the concept of "flash mob", which is to be spontaneous and random.

I don't know if I want to get into the finer points of word order or the meaning of "spontaneous".

----

Any general message to get people to show up at an event is not "spontaneous". If in advance the people have an idea of what to do once there, the claim of spontaneity is weaker.

Rather, I am intrigued by the commercial implications of this idea. Years ago,

involving many people singing a song.

Such an advertisement signals that the corporation is capable of organizing different people to work together well. That's a valuable signal.

----

BTW, markets don't organize individuals the way these videos (or corporations) do. It may seem nice that the people all dance and sing together but in fact a society does not work best when we are all forced in regimented fashion to harmonize and dance in identical patterns.

Society works best when we each do our thing and deal with one another through markets with numbered prices.

Edited by August1991

The song in the Belgian one was better, IMO.

n fact a society does not work best when we are all forced in regimented fashion to harmonize and dance in identical patterns.

And yet, we enjoy watching performances of all types where people move in unison: theatre, dance, military parades, etc., etc. We like our individual freedoms, but must also feel safe knowing there's still an underlying structure of uniformity that keeps chaos at bay.

• 3 weeks later...