Canada's child victims can't be forgotten

tango

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the sickening secret of Canada: We are supposedly a leader in human rights, but we have perpetrated many crimes against Indigenous Peoples in Canada.

And it still continues today?

What does Canada do today that is so horrible? It provides billions to its indigenous peoples.

Is it too difficult to see that doing so is just as genocidal. Indigenous people need to be given equal status with the rest of Canada's citizens. They must have the right to contribute to the society by paying the same taxes, owning private property not collective property, they must have the right to live as the rest of the citizens of Canada, demanding less taxation and regulation in our lives. But are the benefits of free money too much to give up?

hmm just reading through this thread....

Yes, the white christian fold ensured the deaths and disappearance and destruction of an indigenous culture.

But! It was done for all the 'right' reasons, god, country, religious and ethnic superiority????

So why question these actions?

Right august 1991?

well tango, interesting topic, but the people who believe they are superior in every way shape or form, don't like to have their ugly little imperfections pointed out to them.

It causes them to go into finger pointing denial mode.

Things may not have been perfect in the past but now they are because we learn from our mistakes. Or are we repeating history by remaining the ogres we were by leaving you to self-governance? Obviously, we don't mind paying if you don't wish to join the society and would rather just live off our taxes.

Should we abolish the Indian act and just make Natives all citizens, would that be too mean?

Times have changed and it will not happen again. However modern day life is not a one way street.

I refuse to apologise for the mistakes my forefathers may have - may not have - made.

When decisions are made under the rules of the day - and the rules change through time - people have to change with them.

Lots of advantages for the Indian today should s/he decide to take advantage of it.

Lots of other cultures maintain their culture and are part of modern society - perhaps the Indian needs to consider change as part of the modern era.

Borg

Edited by Borg

Times have changed and it will not happen again. However modern day life is not a one way street.

I refuse to apologise for the mistakes my forefathers may have - may not have - made.

When decisions are made under the rules of the day - and the rules change through time - people have to change with them.

Lots of advantages for the Indian today should s/he decide to take advantage of it.

Lots of other cultures maintain their culture and are part of modern society - perhaps the Indian needs to consider change as part of the modern era.

Borg

My forefathers never had black slaves and once in a while this mentally ill black kid walks down the street ready to spit on me or kill me if he could... You might never get rid of institutional hatred or racism..I remember a black grandmother approaching me and saying " our children will be your worst nightmare".. Parents and grand parents teach our natives and blacks to utterly hate whites..so they cut their own throats.

Borg

The reality is that the thinking behind the residential schools is ever present in the same kind thinking of bureaucrats today.

Now they call it "child welfare" and the CAS among others is stealing children from aboriginal families and whisking them far away from their extended families, community and culture into foster care. There are more native children in foster care today than all of those that went through the residential schools. The number one reason for removing native children: poverty (and issues surrounding poverty). This is illegal according the UN and poverty cannot be used to remove children from their homes.