Top Liberal denies Coalition exists!

Read the article, it's right in the article. Thank you madam.

I read the actual article and there was no backing out, only clarification. The original Coalition is only off the table because it named Dion as PM. And, it's not 60% against; only in Alberta at 65%, and 63% in favour in Quebec - 49% against nationwide. Her interview was cherry picked.

Look ,this coalition was a stupid thing for the Liberals to get involved in . Iggy read the pols and said lets get the heck out of here. He is smarter than Dion you know! But I remember the press conferences and all the talking heads from the coalition who were rock solid on the coalition with Jennings leading the charge . Iggy saved the Liberals from themselves. The talking heads have been issued new song books by Iggy. Remember Orwell`s 1984? War is Peace ! we were never at war with Eurasia!LOL

Look ,this coalition was a stupid thing for the Liberals to get involved in . Iggy read the pols and said lets get the heck out of here. He is smarter than Dion you know! But I remember the press conferences and all the talking heads from the coalition who were rock solid on the coalition with Jennings leading the charge . Iggy saved the Liberals from themselves. The talking heads have been issued new song books by Iggy. Remember Orwell`s 1984? War is Peace ! we were never at war with Eurasia!LOL

Iggy never really liked the idea of the Coalition, but the thread is about whether the Coalition ever existed. Ms. Jennings clarified that the recent Coalition was not with the Bloc; only the Liberals and NDP; with the Bloc's promise not to overturn the new gov't in a non-confidence vote.

This was not at all like Harper's Coalition in 2004, which INCUDED the Bloc.

The article is pretty clear, but Mr. C picked up on a couple of sentences and then got tunnel vision.

It appears that nobody thought to tell Gilles that he wasn't part of the coalition - in fact, he seems to believe that he's in charge of it!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe says his party's coalition with the Liberals and New Democrats is just as robust as it was before the Governor General prorogued Parliament in December.
He said the coalition, formed last month, has presented the best strategies to guide the country through the economic crisis. "And most of those proposals came from the Bloc," Duceppe said.
Edited by OddSox

I honestly believe that those who are passionately opposed to the Coalition are the Coalitions's best campaigners. They just don't get it. I mean they use silly terms like 'The three amigos' - which I thought meant three friends. I hear 'Bloc led Coalition'; 'Three Blind Mice' - no idea what that one means.

Bottom line - 2008 - NDP/Liberal Coaltion supported by the Bloc on confidence motions only. This actually takes power away from the Bloc who can suggest but not dictate in regards to things like budgets. What is Duceppe going to tell Quebecers as he makes his cross-province trek? 'I caved'. 63% of people in Quebec want the Coalition, so it would be political suicide for him to try to discredit it. He just has to assert himself so that he doesn't lose his core support. Remember, the latest poll has Ignatieff at 39% and Duceppe at 29% in the province (The Conservative have dropped to 17%).

I liked Ignatieff's remarks: "Ignatieff has said the Liberals would support a "modest" temporary deficit to stimulate the economy, but has refused to specify exactly what "modest" means..... Ignatieff has warned against the perils of some of the stimulative measures expected in next Tuesday's budget, including broad-based tax cuts and a $40-billion deficit -- a figure projected by officials close to the prime minister." This will please Red Tories.

And Duceppe: "Duceppe, meanwhile, also cast doubt on the idea of wide-ranging tax cuts. "He's talking about tax cuts like it's a magic recipe," he said of Harper. "We have seen the application of this magic recipe in the last few years with the results looking like an enormous deficit." The Bloc leader said the government must create -- and preserve -- jobs to help the poorest Canadians. "When you don't pay taxes it's hard to pay less (taxes)."

These men are playing this very smart.

Bottom line - 2008 - NDP/Liberal Coaltion supported by the Bloc on confidence motions only. This actually takes power away from the Bloc who can suggest but not dictate in regards to things like budgets. What is Duceppe going to tell Quebecers as he makes his cross-province trek? 'I caved'. 63% of people in Quebec want the Coalition, so it would be political suicide for him to try to discredit it. He just has to assert himself so that he doesn't lose his core support. Remember, the latest poll has Ignatieff at 39% and Duceppe at 29% in the province (The Conservative have dropped to 17%).
So Gilles is lying? Maybe he was lying about the rest of it too.

So Gilles is lying? Maybe he was lying about the rest of it too.

Where did you get a lie from what I said? He is doing his usual province wide visits. He knows Quebec voters want the Coaltion so is going to continue to endorse it. However, he can't make it look like he has lost power, by agreeing to support all confidence motions. He stays true to the Coalition without allowing Ignatieff too much leverage. He already has him beat by 10 points. Mr. Duceppe is not an idiot, in fact he is a very intelligent man. He knows what he's doing.

More Canadians support a coalition now than at Christmas. The Liberals won't run away completely from the threat to take Harper down if he acts like a donkey again.

I really want to see Ignatieff vote down this budget and have the Bloc led Coalition take over. How long it'll last? 6 weeks at best? Then Ignatieff and his band of Liberals will be slaughtered at the polls. A Grit party with no money, no platform and no policy against the Tory war machine overflowing with cash. It wouldn't even be fair...lol.

I really want to see Ignatieff vote down this budget and have the Bloc led Coalition take over. How long it'll last? 6 weeks at best? Then Ignatieff and his band of Liberals will be slaughtered at the polls. A Grit party with no money, no platform and no policy against the Tory war machine overflowing with cash. It wouldn't even be fair...lol.

OK. Before I answer I need you to stop...give your head a shake...and listen to what I am saying. Uppp bub bub...I said stop and listen.

1. Not a Bloc led Coalition. However, if you want to deal in truths, it could be said that it will be a Bloc led government either way. The Bloc only supports the Coalition on confidence motions. This means on everything else both sides NEED THE BLOC! That won't change. Harper had better start stocking up on flowers and candy because he's going to have to woo Duceppe like he never has before.

2. How long will it last? Did you read the Coalition document? A year and a half guaranteed. Only a confidence motion can remove them from power and all signed an agreement not to force an election on a confidence vote for 18 Months.

3. A grit Party with no money - Contributions have been on the rise since Iggy took over, and he says that he is prepared for an election - "much better off than people think"

4. Tory war machine - Will have to be mothballed for 18 Months. However, they'll need to use their overflowing cashbox for a leadership convention, because I don't see Harper's pride allowing him to sit on the other side of the room again. He will resign.

OK. Before I answer I need you to stop...give your head a shake...and listen to what I am saying. Uppp bub bub...I said stop and listen.

Lol.

1. Not a Bloc led Coalition. However, if you want to deal in truths, it could be said that it will be a Bloc led government either way. The Bloc only supports the Coalition on confidence motions. This means on everything else both sides NEED THE BLOC! That won't change. Harper had better start stocking up on flowers and candy because he's going to have to woo Duceppe like he never has before.
Nice spin, not going to work. The Coalition needs the Bloc more than the Tories would. The Bloc will have all the power in a Coalition situation. They could make demands of items being included or refuse to vote with them. This is very dangerous as it could make Quebec essentially separate from Canada in all but name depending on what demands would be made. I don't trust Duceppe as much as you do. This is a non-partisan issue for me, this is a Canadian issue.
2. How long will it last? Did you read the Coalition document? A year and a half guaranteed. Only a confidence motion can remove them from power and all signed an agreement not to force an election on a confidence vote for 18 Months.
Keep dreaming. PM Ignatieff(a Red Tory) and Deputy PM Jack Layton(Hard Leftist) getting along for 18 months just to hang onto power? I don't think so.
3. A grit Party with no money - Contributions have been on the rise since Iggy took over, and he says that he is prepared for an election - "much better off than people think"
Perhaps but still a drop in the bucket for the Tories deep pockets.
4. Tory war machine - Will have to be mothballed for 18 Months. However, they'll need to use their overflowing cashbox for a leadership convention, because I don't see Harper's pride allowing him to sit on the other side of the room again. He will resign.

18 months of TV/airwave ads. The Tories are the masters of PR and spin. Not like the Grits eh who don't bother getting support from their grassroots eh. The Grit cronies pick who they want, grassroots be damned!

Lol.

Nice spin, not going to work. The Coalition needs the Bloc more than the Tories would. The Bloc will have all the power in a Coalition situation. They could make demands of items being included or refuse to vote with them. This is very dangerous as it could make Quebec essentially separate from Canada in all but name depending on what demands would be made. I don't trust Duceppe as much as you do. This is a non-partisan issue for me, this is a Canadian issue.

Keep dreaming. PM Ignatieff(a Red Tory) and Deputy PM Jack Layton(Hard Leftist) getting along for 18 months just to hang onto power? I don't think so.

Perhaps but still a drop in the bucket for the Tories deep pockets.

18 months of TV/airwave ads. The Tories are the masters of PR and spin. Not like the Grits eh who don't bother getting support from their grassroots eh. The Grit cronies pick who they want, grassroots be damned!

"18 months of TV/airwave ads. The Tories are the masters of PR and spin. Not like the Grits eh who don't bother getting support from their grassroots eh. The Grit cronies pick who they want, grassroots be damned!" You just accused me of spin. I'm getting dizzy. However, it's pretty clear that you don't understand, so I can't help you anymore. Sorry.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/politics/home

"The Coalition needs the Bloc more than the Tories would."

???

And what is that magical source of votes in the house, that is NOT the Bloc, LPC or NDP members, yet would provide enough support to the Conservatives to pass a confidence vote?

As I've said, the coalition would self destruct long before that happened. The Tories would just sit back and watch the show.

Edited by Mr.Canada

In my view Iggy would be a lot smarter to sit in the weeds and wait for more stable conditions before making a move. Whoever is sitting in power is bound to take a large beating over the next year. It would be much smarter to hide in the shadows and pull the strings leaving Harper to shoulder the blame without getting getting dirty hands. Besides this is all about strategy, not tactics.

From a tactical position, stay away from advertising what you are about to do.

Edited by Jerry J. Fortin

We'll see if Harper wants to have his budget defeated. If it is defeated, the Tories will dump him as leader. They will spend their cash on a leadership convention and the donation rules they put in place will make it hard for them to go to an election in the same year.

By that time, the economy might be improving and Ignatieff would ride to a majestic majority where people cheer and applaud his greatness at every turn, confident that he would lead Canada to ever higher greatness.