MPP to give up seat for PC Leader John Tory

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

A pathway appears to have been cleared for Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory to run for a seat in Ontario's legislature.

CTV Toronto has confirmed that Laurie Scott, MPP for the riding of Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock near Peterborough, will step aside. In exchange, Tory will name her as his chief of staff.

I was expecting that Harper was going to help out Tory by announcing he was appointing one of the MPP's tot the Senate. When that didn't happen, I wondered if this was an attempt to get him to resign as leader by former Ontario PCs.

It is hard not to see Flaherty wanting another crack at the leadership.

In any event, it still looks like Tory doesn't have a lot of depth in terms of support among his own party.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

I was expecting that Harper was going to help out Tory by announcing he was appointing one of the MPP's tot the Senate. When that didn't happen, I wondered if this was an attempt to get him to resign as leader by former Ontario PCs.

It is hard not to see Flaherty wanting another crack at the leadership.

In any event, it still looks like Tory doesn't have a lot of depth in terms of support among his own party.

The Conservative MPP won with a mere 10,000 vote cushion :P . The Region has always voted Conservative. I would put John Tories chances for another election loss at 50% :unsure:

After the school fiasco and remembering the negative option blunder at Rogers I've never been a big fan of the guy. That said, he could possibly be head and shoulders above the lying @#$%& we have in there now.

I for one would give him a shot at it.

He's already had a couple of shots at it. He originally held Orangeville, then lost in Don Valley West. I wouldn't be surprise if the @#$%& we have in there now proclaims Tory as "not up to the job".

He's already had a couple of shots at it. He originally held Orangeville, then lost in Don Valley West. I wouldn't be surprise if the @#$%& we have in there now proclaims Tory as "not up to the job".

My only question is, if Tory loses the by-election will he finally quit as leader and give someone who IS elected the job?

There is no sense being the leader of a political party if you can't sit in the legislature.

It's hard to imagine a party leader more thoroughly discredited than he is.

(Dion won _his_ seat, for instance.)

McGuinty is hinting that Tory might be unopposed. All that means to me is that McGuinty figures Tory was, hands down, his greatest asset during the last election, and would very much like to keep him around for the next one.

He might have too, except for that stupid Religious School Funding policy that got him sidetracked and lost. If it wasn't for one of his MPs finally speaking out, many sitting Mpps might have lost their seat with him.

It's just a sad state of affairs, that a women Mpp is giving the Leader of the Conservatives a hand out at her expense.

If he can't win this safe seat, he is finished.

Edited by madmax

Tory is a nice guy ,but a lousey politician. In the last election all he had to do was make no promises. Just refer to McGuintys ability to make promises and his record of keeping promises. Soon as Tory started talking policy he lost the election. All he had to do was run on the Liberals record of not keeping their promises.

• 3 weeks later...

This appears to be a very safe seat for John Tory.

But .... What if he loses? Every now and again something strange happens. I agree with Muddys previous comments. But John Tory does have a losing record, and is a lousy politician when it comes to getting elected.

What would happen if the riding rejected him? It might be better for the PCs if he is gone. He doesn't have alot of support in the party and many are waiting for someone more to the right of him.

In the meantime the Liberals have the same candidate who ran last time running again, no surprise there.

The Greens have there candidate selected.

And I have read that many in the NDP would be happy if Tory won a seat.... finally.

But then, I noticed today that there is a contested nomination for the NDP candidate. 3 People are challenging for the opportunity to be the NDP candidate. This is hardly a bastion of NDP support, so why have 3 Local candidates come forward?

3 Candidates is no sign of riding support, but it is interesting to see that 3 people are interested in running for a party that I can't recall ever being competitive in the area.

I was kidding earlier when I said that last PC MP won with only 50% of the vote and that might not be enough of a starting handicap if Tory runs.

It was a joke......

Funny thing is.... what if he really doesn't win???