Ignatieff's inner circle starts taking shape

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...07?hub=Politics

Ian Davey, who was instrumental in wooing Ignatieff back to Canada from Harvard and who ran his 2006 leadership campaign, has been named principal secretary.

Sachin Aggarwal, operations director during the leadership campaigns, will take on the job of deputy chief of staff.

Jill Fairbrother and Leslie Church, both of whom handled media relations for Ignatieff's leadership bids, will share communications responsibilities in the Opposition leader's office as well.

Ignatieff is also poised to name another Torontonian as the party's new national director.

Rocco Rossi, CEO of Ontario's Heart and Stroke Foundation, is expected to assume the party's top administrative job, replacing Greg Fergus. Fergus, who was appointed national director by former leader Stephane Dion, tendered his resignation Monday.

Rossi's expertise as an innovative fundraiser could be a huge asset for the cash-strapped Liberals, who've been struggling to adapt to the ban on corporate donations imposed in 2004.

Looks like Warren Kinsella is back too.

Wonderfull, all led by an intellect elitist who has spent the last thirty years offshore.

Ignatieff has had the same amount of years in office as MP before coming leader as Harper did when he became Tory leader.

Harper led a think tank. Some might say that is an intellectual elitist position.

"I'm so proud to be a Canadian". BS

You sound like it.

Does this mean you will leave if someone other than Harper becomes prime minister?

Edited by jdobbin

Ignatieff has had the same amount of years in office as MP before coming leader as Harper did when he became Tory leader.

Harper led a think tank. Some might say that is an intellectual elitist position.

You sound like it.

Does this mean you will leave if someone other than Harper becomes prime minister?

No, I was qouting Mr (Iggy) Canada, he sure is a winner.

I'm an old Liberal, for what seemed a lifetime. Finally couldn't take anymore and will never support them again.

Not a huge fan of Harper, but when I look at the choices, including Ignatief, he is the lessor of evils.

Not a huge fan of Harper, but when I look at the choices, including Ignatief, he is the lessor of evils.

It is probably Harper's biggest weakness. He doesn't inspire a lot of love. If things don't go well this year, he doesn't have a large well of loyal support to help him get over the hump.

I still think Harper should have let the coalition take over. History shows that governments leading during a recession generally don't fare well in the next election. Harper should have stepped aside, let the Liberals take the blame for massive deficits, and then come back like a saviour. This is what the Liberals should and probably will do.

I don't understand why anyone would want to be in charge right now.

It is probably Harper's biggest weakness. He doesn't inspire a lot of love. If things don't go well this year, he doesn't have a large well of loyal support to help him get over the hump.

It's interesting when you peruse newspapers across the country and skim through the readers' comments, how the climate has changed. The die hards are softening. In the west, especially in Calgary, there is a great deal of protest over the auto bailout and the prospective deficit (though I think we already have one).

The oil companies are in trouble, but lower fuel prices are helping all industries, as well as average Canadians. It will be tough to justify measures that will drive the prices back up.

A recent poll on the War in Afghanistan again shows that the majority of Canadians want out, but what was telling was that 40% of core Tory supporters thought we should get out if casulaties become much higher. That's a big change from 2006, when his core supporters were overwhelmingly in favour of the new direction he was taking.

Canadians love Obama and the fact that he and Ignatieff are Harvard alumni will be inspiring and the whole 'academic elitist' won't fly when we are at a time in our history when intellect, not hokey, is crucial.

I love Iggy and he will have a brilliant team. I sent the Liberals 100 dollars yesterday; my first ever political contribution. (proceeds from a scratch ticket I was given in my Xmas stocking)

uote name='Moonbox' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:21 AM' post='380488']

I still think Harper should have let the coalition take over. History shows that governments leading during a recession generally don't fare well in the next election. Harper should have stepped aside, let the Liberals take the blame for massive deficits, and then come back like a saviour. This is what the Liberals should and probably will do.

Yep, I was kind of hoping that myself. Iggy has a "Canadian of convenience" ball and chain around his neck that helped him parachute into a job that nobody worth anything wanted.

It would have been awesome to see the three stooges barking and whining at each other on the road to self -destruction.

I still think Harper should have let the coalition take over.

Probably because his own party would have turfed him post haste for the move.

Harper wanted to and now he'll own it. If he does good, he'll get his majority. If not, he and his party will wear the next year around their necks.