What would Stephen Harper do...

Barts

I am saying that Harper is a liar. He lies straight to the Canadian people. He says he won't be partisan. He says he is willing to work with the Opposition. He says he will withdraw provisions of the economic update but I hear you saying they are going right back in. He is like a rabid dog with his obsession to destroy the Liberals.

But broke his promise on income trusts. Lies and bigger lies.

And this is somehow a terrible thing to you when you had no problem when Martin or Chretien or Trudeau did it?

Hell, you wanted to be an MP in Chretien's government, so clearly you had no issue with his ethics. What, then, has changed for you?

John Mccalum is quoted as criticising Harper for saying bad things about the economy.

“I think human behaviour drives recessions and recoveries, and confidence in the future drives human behaviour,” said Liberal MP John McCallum, a former chief economist for the Royal Bank of Canada.

“Especially during difficult times, leaders have to inject confidence and hope into their citizens and Stephen Harper has done precisely the opposite with these comments.”

The sheer blinding hypocrisy of the man! Only a Liberal would have th gall to try and put that out after his own party and leader had spent the last month running around, screaming that the sky is falling and pulling at their hair. Hell, they tried to bring down the government earlier this month because, basically, the economy is in such a horrific state that big spending incentives were needed NOW, right this second, no time to wait for the budget. IMMEDIATELY!! And Harper, who was trying to do exactly what McCallum suggest he do above, was scorned and heaped with abuse for not wringing his hands and crying about how horrible a state the country was in.

Bahhh! No Liberal politician I have ever seen knew anything or cared anything about truth or honesty or integrity.

Edited by Argus

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper will let private members bills originate from his party on these issues to give some cover but incremental social policy changes is what he and Flanagan have mentioned many times.

So what you're arguing is that individual MP's should never be allowed to table any private members bills on the controversial issues of the day?

Fear mongering. It won't happen.

I guess you like to ignore things like the '94 Reform convention when Harper stood out against government intervention on defining marriage? Oh and didn't he vote for the gun registry too?

Goatboy don't you realize that all the real policy decisions made by the Conservative Party happen in the Batcave. That's where we discuss how to make homosexuality illegal, plot to kill Clifford Olsen, and form laws which allow for a tougher sentence against those who murder pregnant women.

It can? Citation for that? The issue can be revisited but generally not for quite some time.

That's why I can't be a Liberal, I don't shut off my brain just because nine people dressed up as Santa Claus made a ruling.

As for Ignatieff, he won't be that bad. It could always be much worse.

Goatboy don't you realize that all the real policy decisions made by the Conservative Party happen in the Batcave. That's where we discuss how to make homosexuality illegal, plot to kill Clifford Olsen, and form laws which allow for a tougher sentence against those who murder pregnant women.

LOL. It's my favorite argument from the extremists. Harper controls the party, all of the MP's are just pawns to do his bidding. My old MP, John Cummins held office for 12 of the last 15 years, voting against party wishes a good 75% of the time. Incredible isn't it? Politicians doing their job?

I'm not a natural conservative supporter, but folks like that will get my vote. They are certainly better than the current liberals anyhow, and the anti-Harper campaign is always good for a laugh.

LOL. It's my favorite argument from the extremists. Harper controls the party, all of the MP's are just pawns to do his bidding.

This is actually laughable. Your own guys have said, themselves mind you, that they have to have everything reviewed by the PMO before its released or have been ordered not to speak with the media, and you have the cajones to write the above. man....

Public appearances by cabinet ministers – whether it's a speech or an interview – are carefully staged, starting with a "message event proposal" vetted by the Privy Council Office, the bureaucratic wing of the Prime Minister's Office (PMO).

And in a marked change from previous governments, now even basic demands for information from reporters, once easily fielded by department spokespersons, are sent to this office for review – and often heavy editing – before they are okayed for public release, government insiders say.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/429906

and more...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...me=&no_ads=

or

http://www.law.ualberta.ca/centres/ccs/iss...mediapolicy.php

or

The Globe and Mail has learned that at a caucus meeting last month, Mr. Harper informed MPs that cuts were coming to various government programs. He said that spokespeople would be assigned on the issue and that MPs should not comment, even if the cuts affected their ridings.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, some MPs said they had no problem with the order and described the comments as consistent with the Prime Minister’s disciplined approach to public policy announcements. Others interpreted Mr. Harper’s remarks as threatening.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Pag...orce_login=true

.... yeah... you are right though. Us silly extremists....

LOL. It's my favorite argument from the extremists. Harper controls the party, all of the MP's are just pawns to do his bidding. My old MP, John Cummins held office for 12 of the last 15 years, voting against party wishes a good 75% of the time. Incredible isn't it? Politicians doing their job?

I'm not a natural conservative supporter, but folks like that will get my vote. They are certainly better than the current liberals anyhow, and the anti-Harper campaign is always good for a laugh.

Oh come on, Harper rules the roost. Everything is vetted through the PMO, just like it was under Chretien.

Man, what I'd give for some severe limits on the powers of Prime Ministers.

If he does and he might use party funding and put it into the budget and I think he should.

He will probably freeze it so it won't go up every year for now and reduce it every year until it's gone. That seems reasonable to me. Freeze it for 2009 then 25% reduction in 2010, etc until gone.

This would make sense.

If he does and he might use party funding and put it into the budget and I think he should.

He will probably freeze it so it won't go up every year for now and reduce it every year until it's gone. That seems reasonable to me. Freeze it for 2009 then 25% reduction in 2010, etc until gone.

This would make sense.

HEY Mr. C..you just get out of bed? Just joking - for a former street kid you sure have moved ahead - congrats! No need to send back in return...You are getting better at this - who knows how far you will go? Thanks.