Senate appointments

mjp

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I see. Thank you for that..

Now show me the part that makes her an invalid Canadian

I never mentioned anything of the sort. I said she is an American, which she is.

In politics, one focuses on truth that discredits a candidate and ignores other truths that make the target look favourable. This is the game.

I never mentioned anything of the sort. I said she is an American, which she is.

In politics, one focuses on truth that discredits a candidate and ignores other truths that make the target look favourable. This is the game.

And John Turner was born in England. You point is you would rather make someone look bad by ignoring the facts then actually act Canadian. Great. Turner was our PM only 25 years ago now you are saying anyone born outside the country should not even be allowed to hold a Senate seat?

Yes, and I agree with that (provided that she was a member). However, the NDP didn't accept her. There are no NDP senators.
No someone who use to be NDP accepted a senate seat. Much like someone who use to be NDP is the MP for Toronto Centre.

Why is this so difficult for you two to get your head around?

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Files/Parl...deralExperience

March 24, 2005 she was appointed to the Senate on the recommendation of the Rt. Hon. Paul Martin. She was a member of the NDP until October 30, 2006. She wanted to sit as a member of the NDP, but the party wouldn't let her. She is clearly New Democrat, but since the party refuses to recognize her because they're calling for the Senate to be abolished, she sits as an "Independent" New Democrat.

When madmax said that the NDP does not accept senate seats, he/she was wrong. Lillian Dyck is NDP and she accepted a Senate seat. Since her party refuses to recognize her because they want the Senate abolished, she is calling herself "Independent" NDP. That doesn't change the fact that someone from the NDP has accepted a senate appointment.

I am confused. What on earth are you and Cybercoma trying to say with this percentage? :unsure:

Regardless, 17.48-18.14% of votes cast is not the support of 20% of the population. If only 68% turned out to vote, that's 18% of 68% of eligible voters.

The point? The NDP does not represent 20% of Canadians.

And John Turner was born in England. You point is you would rather make someone look bad by ignoring the facts then actually act Canadian. Great. Turner was our PM only 25 years ago now you are saying anyone born outside the country should not even be allowed to hold a Senate seat?

This is exactly one of the ugly things about the American system.. Being born in the country does not mean that you are automatically loyal or whatever.. What is so wrong with being born out of the country? Tommy Douglas was born in Scotland..

Why is this so difficult for you two to get your head around?

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Files/Parl...deralExperience

March 24, 2005 she was appointed to the Senate on the recommendation of the Rt. Hon. Paul Martin. She was a member of the NDP until October 30, 2006. She wanted to sit as a member of the NDP, but the party wouldn't let her. She is clearly New Democrat, but since the party refuses to recognize her because they're calling for the Senate to be abolished, she sits as an "Independent" New Democrat.

When madmax said that the NDP does not accept senate seats, he/she was wrong. Lillian Dyck is NDP and she accepted a Senate seat. Since her party refuses to recognize her because they want the Senate abolished, she is calling herself "Independent" NDP. That doesn't change the fact that someone from the NDP has accepted a senate appointment.

As a party they do no accept Senate appointments ,or the Senate for that matter, was the point. That point stands, becuase one member of the party did something does not mean the whole party condones it. You are playing guilt by association and that is why you are wrong.

Lillian Dyck, an NDP member, was offered a senate seat.

So, you're right, the NDP doesn't accept senate seats, but neither does the LPC or CPC. It is their politicians that accept the senate appointments.

And give them out even when they say they want to change the system and have an elected Senate. That was the point from the start. Glade we reached it. So the Party does not accept the Senate seats they just give them out.