Could this all be part of Harper's plan?

If they prorogue Parliament, it is they that will look rather bad given the concerns going on in the country. By ending the session, they will have to do a Throne Speech where they will be defeated.

I admit I have mixed feelings about this and don't understand the purpose. I'd rather Harper meet this head on.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I have mixed feelings about this and don't understand the purpose. I'd rather Harper meet this head on.

The purpose is delay.

The Tories can hope that the Governor General calls an election instead but Adrienne Clarkson has mentioned more than once that so soon after the election, she would turn to the next largest party to see if they could form a government first.

Canadian Press is reporting that many Tories are fuming about the situation they are.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/546661

Their blades remain sheathed but astonished Conservatives are quietly fuming about the tactical blunder they fear could toss them into opposition.

And the blame seems to be landing on the prime minister's doorstep.

Stunned Conservatives MPs are barely concealing their outrage. Many are venting their anger in private because of Stephen Harper's iron grip on the party and the uncertain prospects of a coalition of opposition parties.

If this is part of Harper's plan, it seems there are a few within in his own party who won't be happy.

If they are sent to the Opposition benches, there will be a lot more than fuming, I imagine. Or do you think that all will rally to the great man?

How does it look bad, the opposition has hijacked parliament. Proroguing parliament would be an easy sell. Cripes they did it just before PMPM took power.

Was the economy in the worst position in 30 years when he did it?

In any event, how long do you think he will keep away from the House: a month? Two months? Longer?

He still have to have a Throne Speech and they will be defeated then without ever presenting a budget.

Edited by jdobbin

How does it look bad, the opposition has hijacked parliament. Proroguing parliament would be an easy sell. Cripes they did it just before PMPM took power.

I suppose. I can't see Harper's hand so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. I just know he's a better poker player than I am.

Here's an idea: If Harper publicly promises to have his pathological hatred of Liberals examined by a board of independent psychiatrists, and comes away with a clean bill of health, the coalition disbands.

The opposition has taken this so far, they can't back down now no matter what Harper does.

How about an intelligent question? On what event or statement do you base your question?

B.

On everything. He is always bitter.

Why couldn't he have just walked over to Dion's office and had a drink and talk about how crappy the economy is. They could have chummed around like Bert and Ernie.

You'll note that the Bloc are not in fact part of the Coalition. They've agreed to co-operate for 18 months. I have no idea why people are trying to make this into an enormous thing, when it's pretty clear Harper was intent on the same stunt in 2004. Do you think he wasn't prepared to do business with the Bloc?

It was wrong in 2004 and its wrong now. A pact for the Bloc to cooperate for 18 months is well.....18 MONTHS. A lot of damage can be done in that time.

I called for a vote rather than coalition government in '04. A merger with the bloc should not be allowed to happen.

On everything. He is always bitter.

Why couldn't he have just walked over to Dion's office and had a drink and talk about how crappy the economy is. They could have chummed around like Bert and Ernie.

Was that what you'd consider a serious answer? I'm just wondering before I post my response. I want to stick with the tone of the thread and all...

He's bitter because he did not realize untill after the election that there is a conservative committee in Toronto that would instruct him on what to do - He actually thought he would have solo power. He's like a kid that only wanted to be a hockey player...and the coach came up to him after the team and said...Steve - you are on a team and I tell you what to do. Harper really thought that he would have real power...and not simply be the captain of the team with the owners okaying his every move an decision. Just like Bush - now you have the job NOW TAKE DIRECTION>>.. Harper is the bitter reluctant rebel who feels he got sucked in and used - he just did not know how the game of politics was played....so he's like a reluctant kid taking instructions. :lol:

He's bitter because he did not realize untill after the election that there is a conservative committee in Toronto that would instruct him on what to do - He actually thought he would have solo power. He's like a kid that only wanted to be a hockey player...and the coach came up to him after the team and said...Steve - you are on a team and I tell you what to do. Harper really thought that he would have real power...and not simply be the captain of the team with the owners okaying his every move an decision. Just like Bush - now you have the job NOW TAKE DIRECTION>>.. Harper is the bitter reluctant rebel who feels he got sucked in and used - he just did not know how the game of politics was played....so he's like a reluctant kid taking instructions. :lol:

I actually really liked what you had to say. My faith in Canadians is restored a smidgen.

He still have to have a Throne Speech and they will be defeated then without ever presenting a budget.

Wouldn't that trigger an election imediatey? With the Liberals having Dion at the helm and the whole lot of them (coalition) losing touch with canadians?

I'm Looking for education on this not confrontation.......

kind of sounds like Diefenbaker

Spoken like a true Biberal! Lets play the Bush card! Do you have any idea how insulting that is to Canadians? And, how the heck do you know what Harper is thinking?

Also, do you not know that Harper's hobby is hockey history? Geeze, if your gonna speculate, use an appropriate anology.

Was the economy in the worst position in 30 years when he did it?

In any event, how long do you think he will keep away from the House: a month? Two months? Longer?

He'll roll out the budget in the throne speech. He'll keep away from the house until the 26th of January. If he can get an election out of this, he's in good shape.

Here's an idea: If Harper publicly promises to have his pathological hatred of Liberals examined by a board of independent psychiatrists, and comes away with a clean bill of health, the coalition disbands.

Here's an idea, you go to the same board of psychiatrists and have your pathalogical hatred of Conservatives examined, come away with a cleam bill of health, and you will be taken seriously.

What a stupid comment.