Twilight the Movie

BC_chick

Hey, I was going to mention that I think this is the first post by WIP without an exclamation point...

But there is that strange ".l " at the end... Is that an exclamation point typo or not?

If it's not an exclamation point, then I think this is the first WIP post without one - if not it's an exclamation point typo which is equally as exciting. Kind of like a mis-print stamp, vastly increasing it's value.

I hope it's the ! typo..

What do you guys think?

How many pointless comments do you post each day? There you go, a question-mark instead of an exclamation! Not that it makes a hill of beans, but if I frequently use exclamation points, it's likely because I think emoticons are stupid and annoying.......just like forum trolls who can only make personal attacks and have nothing to add to whatever issue is being discussed! There! Exclamation Point!

How many pointless comments do you post each day? There you go, a question-mark instead of an exclamation! Not that it makes a hill of beans, but if I frequently use exclamation points, it's likely because I think emoticons are stupid and annoying.......just like forum trolls who can only make personal attacks and have nothing to add to whatever issue is being discussed! There! Exclamation Point!

lol

I was always somewhat curious about one part of the movie. You know in the little brothers room, did you ever see that really gay poster of Rob Lowe? What was the deal with that, sure Rob Lowe is as cool as Patrick Swayze, but that poster was fruity.

But yeah, I'm sure "The Lost Boys" kicked this movies ass. I can't really see blending a teen romance with a vampire flick.

I took my niece to see the teen vampire craze Twilight last night. The theatre was packed with tween and teenage girls who swooned over Edward, the dashing and dangerous vampire who falls in love with the movie's protagonist, Bella. For a quick synopsis, let's just say an awkward shy young girl transfers to a small town to stay with her dad after her mother remarries. There, she falls in love with a gorgeous vampire who endangers her life, yet protects it at the same time.

I told my niece that I loved the movie after she was so excited about it, but in reality I walked away shaking my head at the message of the movie. Before I begin, allow me to say that I know movie plots like this existed when I was a little girl as well, so maybe this is just the rant of a woman who is just beginning to see the hidden messages which have always existed. But I have to share this one because I found it very disturbing....

All the non-vampire kids in the school, including the boys who show an interest in Bella, are portrayed as losers and geeks with whom Bella can't relate. The only one who seems to get her, or tries to anyway (he reads minds but he can't read hers) is the vampire who is fighting his own demons to not kill her because he loves her so much. IOW, she rejects all the normal guys for being losers and geeky and she falls in love with the boy who stalks her and loves her so much he wants to kill her.

With such a message being sent to young women, is it any wonder good guys finish last and so many women are drawn to dangerous men, including murderers sitting in jail?

I know that there is a certain attraction to danger during adolescence whereby some can argue the movie captures the psyche of young people everywhere as opposed to instilling a message in them (what came first, the chicken or the egg). But overall, I was disappointed in the message because in real life, dangerous men are not like Edward and they kill their spouses and partners on a daily basis.

This movie sends the message that 'true love' will heal even the murderer when it reality we know that it doesn't.

Can't say I disagree with you on this point BC_Chick. Such a message is harmful to young impressionable minds. However that being said I'm not in favour of any form of censorship, but I'd like it parents would voluntarily keep their kids away from such unadulterated crap. Personally I'll take Garden State over Twilight anyday.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/811199997

If you think Twilight is bad, just take a stroll through the teen fiction section at Chapters sometime. There is plenty of stuff there to corrupt a child's mind. Yet parents do not realize it because after all, their kid is reading. Gender roles are the dominant theme of nearly all the teen fiction books and this type of objectifying of women is common rather than the exception.

Edited by cybercoma