Good thing the mainstream media has been the decider

kuzadd

"It used to be that a handful of editors could decide what was news-and what was not. They acted as sort of demigods. If they ran a story, it became news. If they ignored an event, it never happened.

sounds like conspiracy theory to me.

Editors deciding what news became news? Like demigods no less!!

Editors who were inclined to toe the line of their owner? Editors like that?

An unfettered and free media?

Whose job is to provide you with information?

Not according to this person anyway.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-10098194-60.html

funny to see Murdoch lamenting in this manner, since he played quite a role in readers not trusting the media.

Notice he puts the blame on the editors acting as demi-gods, making decisions on what is news and what isn't?

Of course Murdoch himself had no role in that , right? Right? lol.

What I liked about it though, there was old Rupert acknowledging the mistakes of being the deciders has cost readership.

How there is broader and more diverse discussion amongst the blogs, then there is in msm, including his own.

poor rupert, I guess he thought more people were contented in the bliss of his bullshit then actually were

boohooo.

Edited by kuzadd

How there is broader and more diverse discussion amongst the blogs, then there is in msm, including his own.

It is in the interest of controlling powers to silence the truth. Even the internet is under threat of corporate control. Search engines are owned by big corporations. Links disappear all the time. The second problem is information overload, like when the results of a search query is flooded with bogus or irrelevant links.

It is in the interest of controlling powers to silence the truth. Even the internet is under threat of corporate control. Search engines are owned by big corporations. Links disappear all the time. The second problem is information overload, like when the results of a search query is flooded with bogus or irrelevant links.

But hold on there good Sir Bandelot. That is tin foil hat country now. There are no people behind the sceens working the machinery. No sir.

You can pay to get a higher ranking on a search engine. You can pay to even have it come up when doing a search. The Internet has been a threat to those who seek to silence the detractors. There is much regulation and control over the Internet. And it really is not that hard either.

I have seen the second one you talk about. I have to use bolean searches to find what I am looking for, and even then it is pretty tough to sift through all the regurgitated articles. The same article on multiple pages and from the same quoted source.

Sir Bandelot

http://crooksandliars.com/nicole-belle/pro...25-stories-you-

It's been out for a while, but still cannot be mentioned enough. Project Censored, a media research and analysis group based at California's Sonoma State University has released the 25 Most Important Stories that are completely ignored by the mainstream media. They are:

However most of these topics have been and currently are being debated on here at MLW. There are a few topics there that are surprising to me. Looks like these people have done their homework. I mean, that there is quite a bit of information in each article. This is the first time I have seen the topics in any kind of list. But at least someone is paying attention. And it is more to the point, proving what you are saying about burying stories that are important.

Things like the SPP, especially, since it is affecting 3 countries and not just one.

To me it's not even a conspiracy, what I mean is that any government, or big corporation has a vested interest in protecting their public face, and they also have the money and influence to do things, to make good stories appear and make bad ones disappear. They work with corporations like youtube and google to remove unwanted information or use the media to float sunshiney stories about how good something is for everyone.

Thats also why mergers are not good. They put power over many into the hands of a few. If the internet is a threat to their control (and it is) they work hard at it to buy out all influential web services. Its only a matter of time.

Nuther example- some countries like China and now Australia have blocked internet sites so their citizens can't have access to them.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...676-661,00.html

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Most do not have the time to think for themselves. They are on a slavish treadmill called survival in the modernist hell we call civilization - so the media decideds - as we work and tremble in fear that we will not make a mortgage payment or our children will suffer slaveship if they do not recieve an education...which costs a lot but does not guarentee success and freedom...personally I am at the bottom with nothing to lose so I can mouth off.

But hold on there good Sir Bandelot. That is tin foil hat country now. There are no people behind the sceens working the machinery. No sir.

I know you are being humourous gosthacked, but, though I largely take a pass on this forum, anymore.

I couldn't resist the words coming out of Rupert Murchochs mouth. No tin foil hat, no conspiracy.

He made it quite clear, "editors" were demi-gods, they were deciding what was news and what wasn't.

That is as straight out as you can get it, from the horses mouth as they say. Though of course, he didn't include himself in this mess the mainstream media is in (lack of trust) Just reporters and editors, the underlings.

He gave himself a great big pass.

"To me it's not even a conspiracy, what I mean is that any government, or big corporation has a vested interest in protecting their public face, and they also have the money and influence to do things, to make good stories appear and make bad ones disappear.

you are right Sir bandelot, it is not conspiracy, it is just plain and simple fact.

Of course some persons on this forum, who actually think the press is "free and unfettered" and even more laughingly accountable, are the conspiracy theorists. Believing in some pie in the sky sort of ideal of the media.

Yet, we have all noted the press bias in favour of government,as in regurgitation of everything the government talking heads say ( Iraq wmd's, Iran the speed boat incident, Israel's occupation, what occupation? and on and on) other business, advertisers, and the last thing the msm considered at all were the audience.

This is why we read Rupert Murdoch lamenting the losses.

Will they change their colours?

Not likely.

And yes Australia is really censoring the internet, in a big way. Country wide. But that only happens in countries that are not "free" right?

lol.

oh and gosthacked you are far more generous then I am.

"However most of these topics have been and currently are being debated on here at MLW."

must be just the very few.

Most do not have the time to think for themselves. They are on a slavish treadmill called survival in the modernist hell we call civilization - so the media decideds - as we work and tremble in fear that we will not make a mortgage payment or our children will suffer slaveship if they do not recieve an education...which costs a lot but does not guarentee success and freedom...personally I am at the bottom with nothing to lose so I can mouth off.

oleg while I agree wholeheartedly times are very difficult.

I disagree with you on this theory that people have no time to think for themselves.

What is the average on television watching? I saw a recent article that happy people watch 19 hours and less, and unhappy people watch 25 hours of television that is WEEKLY.

Let's say that on average people watch 22 hours of tv a week, take just 1/4 of that time, 4 1/2 hours to inform oneself, seek alternative information sources, read a dam book, whatever.

It is in our own best interests to be informed of the world that we are part of, that we live, work, and engage in.

If it is important enough make the dam time, and one of the easiest ways to do so is to shut off the idiot box.