Green Party TV Debates

Now that May had the opportunity to debate on TV with the leaders of the real parties and still failed to garner one seat, is it safe to ignore her now? I imagine there will be many opportunities with by elections over the next few years for the Greens to field an electable candidate (if they can find one) and try their luck again.

I feel that if they cannot elect a sitting member of Parliament before the next election they should not on at the same stage of the established parties.

Now that May had the opportunity to debate on TV with the leaders of the real parties and still failed to garner one seat, is it safe to ignore her now? I imagine there will be many opportunities with by elections over the next few years for the Greens to field an electable candidate (if they can find one) and try their luck again.

I feel that if they cannot elect a sitting member of Parliament before the next election they should not on at the same stage of the established parties.

But she's so much fun! (not) :blink:

May refuses to be ignored. Now that the Greens received 900,000+ votes, more than ever she'll be in our face pushing for proportional representation.

May said she’s committed to run for the party in the Central Nova riding in the next general election after coming second to Conservative cabinet minister Peter MacKay in the Tory stronghold.

But May said she will run for the Greens anywhere in the country in order to move out of the gallery and onto the benches of the House of Commons.

“New Glasgow is where I live, this is where I’ll run again, except if there’s a byelection opportunity to get in the House of Commons more quickly,” she told her post-election news conference.

All this cozying up to Dion has put her leadership in question.

Despite the advances, some within the party appear unhappy with May’s leadership.

A website, emaygoaway.ca, accused the Green leader of hurting the party’s chances in the election through her “public musing about strategic voting.”

May suggested during the final days of the campaign that Greens could vote strategically for New Democrats and Liberals in close ridings that Tories could win.

“Elizabeth May’s comments seem to have caused great harm to Green party campaigns across the country,” the website states. “Candidates, their family, friends and supporters say they were hurt, personally and politically, by her reported advocacy of candidates from other political parties.”

May’s personal popularity and support for Dion prompted speculation she might switch to the Liberals or even seek a merger with the only other federal party to adopt the Green policy of taxing carbon emissions.

And to prove her distaste for the Liberal Party, Dion excepted, this is what she said about Liberals and the environment.

But May distanced herself from the Liberals on Wednesday, saying she admires Dion’s position on climate change but not the party as a whole, and she brushed aside a question about running for the Liberal leadership if Dion quits.

“Will I run for the Liberal leadership? For whatever respect I have for Stephane Dion, I can’t extend similar words of praise to the Liberal party,” she said.

May said before Dion, the Liberals had a worse record on the environment than former Tory prime minister Brian Mulroney.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/canadavotes/new...15/7098456.html

No sitting MP, no sitting in national debates.

Wait and see... :P

The Greens can't be excluded. They got over 10,000 votes in some ridings, over 900,000 votes total, 6.8% of the popular vote. It really makes the system look worse than it is if they're exluded again.

Yet they can't even elect someone when the deck is stacked in their favour...they have no national resonence and a bulk of the votes must certainly be ABCs...

Let them get someone elected.....first before wasting anyones time again.

Wait and see... :P

The Greens can't be excluded. They got over 10,000 votes in some ridings, over 900,000 votes total, 6.8% of the popular vote. It really makes the system look worse than it is if they're exluded again.

Why can't they be excluded? I mean, over 93 out of every 100 people REJECTED them. You don't think they are a little off the wall?

Edited by OddSox

Now that our electoral system has failed almost a million voters (the ones that actually cared to vote in this Harper's ego-driven election), is it safe to say it's garbage?

Now that our electoral system has failed almost a million voters (the ones that actually cared to vote in this Harper's ego-driven election), is it safe to say it's garbage?

How has it failed them? They voted and their votes were counted. Obviously the platform that was tabled wasn't to the liking of almost 94% of the voters...If they are unhappy with democracy they are certainly free to stay home next time.

Our electoral system is at the heart of our democracy. I'd hardly call it garbage. I have a difficult time understanding why you constantly rail against it. Increasingly, you're sounding more and more like a poor loser.

Yet they can't even elect someone when the deck is stacked in their favour...they have no national resonence and a bulk of the votes must certainly be ABCs...

Let them get someone elected.....first before wasting anyones time again.

People who voted ABC probably voted either Liberal or NDP.

I think it's already been established that the party's national rather than regional appeal is what is part of its problem. If we had a PR system they would have just over 20 seats in Parlaiment, but since they aren't a regional party like the Bloc or Conservatives, they have none.

Edited by kengs333

People who voted ABC probably voted either Liberal or NDP.

I think it's already been established that the party's national rather than regional appeal is what is part of its problem. If we had a PR system they would have just over 20 seats in Parlaiment, but since they aren't a regional party like the Bloc or Conservatives, they have none.

The conservatives? A regional party? Well that explains why the have the lion's share of seats in Ontario....

The Green party has no national appeal...no regional appeal either.

Could you by any chance learn to spell Parliament....

Why can't they be excluded? I mean, over 93 out of every 100 people REJECTED them. You don't think they are a little off the wall?

It's funny how Conservative supporters keep having to make up criteria to justify why we shouldn't have a truly democratic system. You guys have excuses for why every opposition party isn't legitimate.

There are five major parties. If you don't think that four of these parties are legitimate, that leaves you with how many? One. What would you call a system that has only one party to choose from?

The conservatives? A regional party? Well that explains why the have the lion's share of seats in Ontario....

The Green party has no national appeal...no regional appeal either.

Could you by any chance learn to spell Parliament....

Actually, look at the numbers for some of the Con ridings in Ontario. Won by very slim margins or with the minority of voters.

The Con party is nothing more than a revamped Reform/CA. I think a lot of its support outside of the West comes from people who sincerely are mistaken that it is the continuation of the old PC party.

Actually, look at the numbers for some of the Con ridings in Ontario. Won by very slim margins or with the minority of voters.

How many is some? Most seats across the country were won by a minority of votes, regradles of the party.

Any more irrelevanies you wish to table to obscure your ineptitude?

How many is some? Most seats across the country were won by a minority of votes, regradles of the party.

Any more irrelevanies you wish to table to obscure your ineptitude?

More personal attacks...

I said take a look. There are a number of places where you can see for yourself.

btw, it's "regardless" not "regradles"...