Elizabeth May's mixed messages

I'd much rather see lip service to the lunatics than full-fledged adherence to the doomsday cult.

What a surprise! The Conservatives have no integrity, since they are only interested in appearing concerned about the environment.

And the doomsday cult is the people who think we can just carry on with the same old destructive habits and add on some new ones like refining tar sands.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a surprise! The Conservatives have no integrity, since they are only interested in appearing concerned about the environment.

The Liberals were in power 13 straight years and paid lip service to the environment. They sat idly by while our GHG emissions went through the roof. Dion says "you'll never find a prime minister that is greener than me". In his 2 years as Environment Minister what did he accomplish. And now the greenest of all, the Green Party, is aligning itself with the Liberals. This makes no sense to me.

And the doomsday cult is the people who think we can just carry on with the same old destructive habits and add on some new ones like refining tar sands.

It is fanatical global warming alarmists that own the title of doomsday cult.

The Liberals were in power 13 straight years and paid lip service to the environment. They sat idly by while our GHG emissions went through the roof. Dion says "you'll never find a prime minister that is greener than me". In his 2 years as Environment Minister what did he accomplish. And now the greenest of all, the Green Party, is aligning itself with the Liberals. This makes no sense to me.

Have you asked yourself why NO OTHER PARTY is even considering aligning itslef with the Conservatives?

Have you asked yourself why NO OTHER PARTY is even considering aligning itslef with the Conservatives?

The Conservative Party does not wish any of those left leaning parties to join them. But the Conservatives would more than welcome those opposition party supporters who have had enough of policies and schemes that are turning this country into another Cuba.

The Conservative Party does not wish any of those left leaning parties to join them. But the Conservatives would more than welcome those opposition party supporters who have had enough of policies and schemes that are turning this country into another Cuba.

Cuba is a country ran by a dictator much like Harper. Cuba is a country that is hard on crime like Harper. Cuba does not believe in taxation just like Harper.

Oh please... They couldn't even convince the Progressive Conservative supporters that they will defend their interests... Or ANY interests other than the West's and Big Oil's...

<_<

Cuba is a country ran by a dictator much like Harper. Cuba is a country that is hard on crime like Harper. Cuba does not believe in taxation just like Harper.

wtf?

Are you being serious? I'd like to see you say that to a cuban that jumped on a raft to try to get out of there.

When was the last time they had an election (that wasn't rigged?)

Cuba doesn't believe in taxation? Do you even know what you are saying?

I am thankful that you hate Harper so much, to me that tells me that ignorant people don't like Harper and that's fine by me.

wtf?

Are you being serious? I'd like to see you say that to a cuban that jumped on a raft to try to get out of there.

When was the last time they had an election (that wasn't rigged?)

Cuba doesn't believe in taxation? Do you even know what you are saying?

I am thankful that you hate Harper so much, to me that tells me that ignorant people don't like Harper and that's fine by me.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/...%20Encyclopedia

Few cuban workers pay income tax. My comments were sarcasm(not to be taken seriously) too the suggestion that compares the Liberals, NDP and Green too Cuba. All are parties believe in democracy and free enterprise.

Cuba does not believe in taxation just like Harper.

I get the impression that you think paying more taxes is just fine and dandy, I for one don't share that opinion. When you consider that we're already one of the highest taxed peoples in the world there should be no need to raise taxes any more.

But if you think paying taxes upon taxes is fun then you go right ahead and have a good old time paying mine.

I get the impression that you think paying more taxes is just fine and dandy, I for one don't share that opinion. When you consider that we're already one of the highest taxed peoples in the world there should be no need to raise taxes any more.

But if you think paying taxes upon taxes is fun then you go right ahead and have a good old time paying mine.

I believe in a balance. Harper has increased spending every year of office. If he wants to cut taxes he has to cut expenditures. I do not want to see deficit financing. Dion has come out strongly that he will not run a deficit. Harper as far as I know has not commited himself too doing that.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/...%20Encyclopedia

Few cuban workers pay income tax. My comments were sarcasm(not to be taken seriously) too the suggestion that compares the Liberals, NDP and Green too Cuba. All are parties believe in democracy and free enterprise.

few cuban workers make any money. Trudeau and Fidel were close friends so there is that connection.

Jack Layton seems to share many ideaological similarities to Fidel so there is that one.

anything else you need corrected?

I believe in a balance. Harper has increased spending every year of office. If he wants to cut taxes he has to cut expenditures. I do not want to see deficit financing. Dion has come out strongly that he will not run a deficit. Harper as far as I know has not commited himself too doing that.

He has.

not that it would make a difference, but here you go:

http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/516393

You are correct, thanks for the quote :)

"May said she only envisions Green supporters switching their votes in tight races, most of them in Central Canada.

"It would be maybe 20 per cent of ridings in the country where that's even a factor, and mostly in Ontario," she said from Stellarton, N.S.

That's about 60 of the 308 seats in the House of Commons.

May said she can't be specific about where the seats are, although three Nobel Prize-winning climate change scientists are urging Green voters to defeat Conservatives in 50 close Ontario seats that could decide the election."

She's doing what's best for the environment.

Hasn't NDP done the same to help defeat Conservatives in the past?

You are correct, thanks for the quote :)

"May said she only envisions Green supporters switching their votes in tight races, most of them in Central Canada.

"It would be maybe 20 per cent of ridings in the country where that's even a factor, and mostly in Ontario," she said from Stellarton, N.S.

That's about 60 of the 308 seats in the House of Commons.

May said she can't be specific about where the seats are, although three Nobel Prize-winning climate change scientists are urging Green voters to defeat Conservatives in 50 close Ontario seats that could decide the election."

She's doing what's best for the environment.

Hasn't NDP done the same to help defeat Conservatives in the past?

In doing this she is doing no favours for the Green party they may have gotten over the 10% mark in these ridings but they don't get a portion of their election expenses back or the government money per vote. With this tyoe of mentality they will never get into government.

In doing this she is doing no favours for the Green party they may have gotten over the 10% mark in these ridings but they don't get a portion of their election expenses back or the government money per vote. With this tyoe of mentality they will never get into government.

Getting 10% (or more) of the popular vote would be great as the Green Party would get 60% of the money spent in the campaign back from Elections Canada.

Helping defeat the Conservatives in some ridings would be even better.

It's not just about the money for the Greens ;)

Getting 10% (or more) of the popular vote would be great as the Green Party would get 60% of the money spent in the campaign back from Elections Canada.

Helping defeat the Conservatives in some ridings would be even better.

It's not just about the money for the Greens ;)

Why would it be better it would make the greens look more irrelevant then they already are.

Do you really think that twice more relevant than 2 years ago is bad?

I think it's FANTASTIC :D

BUt what message are you sending by going with a liberal vote to try and stop the blue machine. I'll tell its shows that the green party doesn't matter because it cannot stop another party. By doing this May is wasting both time and money by campaigning for the greens only to endorse another party, why even bother with the green party then? You might as well all become liberals and try to get bits and peices of your platform added to theirs or ignored by them again because they have you in their pockets. May has done nothing but undermine the green party.

That is the weakness of the FPTP voting system! The Liberals have been successful over the years by hugging the middle of the road and stealing from partys on the left and on the right, if they feel they have new ideas that might be popular.

Before economic concerns short-circuited many people's concerns about the environment, the Liberals likely saw a political payoff to shifting taxes from income to taxing pollution sources, but they were looking at the issue solely for its political advantages, and had no conviction to make a case for the Green Shift Plan.

Now, when a new leader takes over the Liberal Party, Green Shift will never be heard of again until a better informed public starts connecting climate change to economic costs. So now it's right back to square one.

It is fanatical global warming alarmists that own the title of doomsday cult.

That is the same blissful ignorance that many people in Galveston displayed, right before the hurricane swept through the island and washed them out to sea! If there is evidence of real danger, it is not alarmist to alert people to the danger! Not doing so is irresponsible! If you're conviction that global warming isn't real is based on more than unfounded beliefs and wishful thinking, you can argue it out here rather than having a global warming debate on every thread!

That is the weakness of the FPTP voting system!

Perhaps. Conversely, the strength of FPTP is that it keeps fringe parties on the fringe and outside the House of Commons. My preference for Canada is a two party system. If FPTP works in favour of moving to two parties I say all the better. That's why I advocate uniting the left.