Warren Buffett Agrees with Harper

Jobu

"You know, five years from now, ten years from now, we'll look back on this period and we'll see that you could have made some extraordinary (stock market) buys. That doesn't mean it won't get more extraordinary a week or a month from now. I have no idea what the stock market is going to do next month or six months from now. I do know that the American economy, over a period of time, will do very well, and people who own a piece of it will do well."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27116449

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the liberal left perspective this evil man has several strikes against him:

1) he's an American and they are all evil

2) He's a capitalist and they are all evil

3) He agrees with Harper so he has no heart, oh and he's evil

4) He's rich so he's evil

5) He's old and white so he an oppressor of all that is good, evil again

5X times evil makes him 4 steps above Harper right?

"You know, five years from now, ten years from now, we'll look back on this period and we'll see that you could have made some extraordinary (stock market) buys. That doesn't mean it won't get more extraordinary a week or a month from now. I have no idea what the stock market is going to do next month or six months from now. I do know that the American economy, over a period of time, will do very well, and people who own a piece of it will do well."

Yeah, being endorsed by somebody who exploits other peoples' misery and financial devestation is really great. That guy embodies all that is wrong with the modern economy.

Yeah, being endorsed by somebody who exploits other peoples' misery and financial devestation is really great. That guy embodies all that is wrong with the modern economy.

I wonder how many jobs Warren Buffett is responsible for?

I'd say Goldman Sachs would probably not be alive today without him, for starters.

What relevance does that have? The guy's a sick, greedy bastard...

In June 2005, Buffett gave approximately 10 million Berkshire Hathaway Class B shares to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (worth approximately USD 30.7 billion as of June 23, 2006)[15] making it the largest charitable donation in history and Buffett one of the leaders in the philanthrocapitalism revolution.[16] The foundation will receive 5% of the total donation on an annualized basis each July, beginning in 2006. Buffett will also join the board of directors of the Gates Foundation, although he does not plan to be actively involved in the foundation's investments.[citation needed]

He also announced plans to contribute additional Berkshire stock valued at approximately $6.7 billion to the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation and to other foundations headed by his three children. This is a significant shift[citation needed] from previous statements Buffett has made, having stated that most of his fortune would pass to his Buffett Foundation.[citation needed] The bulk of the estate of his wife, valued at $2.6 billion, went to that foundation when she died in 2004.[17]

His children will not inherit a significant proportion of his wealth. These actions are consistent with statements he has made in the past indicating his opposition to the transfer of great fortunes from one generation to the next.[citation needed] Buffett once commented, "I want to give my kids just enough so that they would feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they would feel like doing nothing."[18]

The following quotation from 1988, respectively, highlights Warren Buffett's thoughts on his wealth and why he long planned to reallocate it:

"I don't have a problem with guilt about money. The way I see it is that my money represents an enormous number of claim checks on society. It's like I have these little pieces of paper that I can turn into consumption. If I wanted to, I could hire 10,000 people to do nothing but paint my picture every day for the rest of my life. And the GNP would go up. But the utility of the product would be zilch, and I would be keeping those 10,000 people from doing AIDS research, or teaching, or nursing. I don't do that though. I don't use very many of those claim checks. There's nothing material I want very much. And I'm going to give virtually all of those claim checks to charity when my wife and I die. (Lowe 1997:165–166)

On June 27, 2008, Zhao Danyang, a general manager at Pure Heart China Growth Investment Fund, won the 2008 5-day online "Power Lunch with Warren Buffett" charity auction on eBay with high bid of $2,110,100. Zhao had the right to dine with 76-year-old Buffett, at New York's Smith & Wollensky Steakhouse, and invite up to 7 companions for the private lunch and can ask Buffett anything at all, except what he's buying or selling. Auction proceeds benefit the San Francisco Glide Foundation. In 2007 Mohnish Pabrai dined with Buffett.[19][20]

Buffett also helped Dow Chemical pay for its $ 18.8bn takeover of Rohm & Haas. He thus became the single largest shareholder in the enlarged group with his Berkshire Hathaway, which provided $ 3bn, underlining his instrumental role during the current crisis in debt and equity markets.[21]

Yes anyone owns a piece of it will do well. In the 30s people with money to buy up all the failed businesses and land at a discount did well. Little help to people who lost their businesses and land.

In June 2005, Buffett gave approximately 10 million Berkshire Hathaway Class B shares to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (worth approximately USD 30.7 billion as of June 23, 2006)[15] making it the largest charitable donation in history and Buffett one of the leaders in the philanthrocapitalism revolution.[16] The foundation will receive 5% of the total donation on an annualized basis each July, beginning in 2006. Buffett will also join the board of directors of the Gates Foundation, although he does not plan to be actively involved in the foundation's investments.[citation needed]

He also announced plans to contribute additional Berkshire stock valued at approximately $6.7 billion to the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation and to other foundations headed by his three children. This is a significant shift[citation needed] from previous statements Buffett has made, having stated that most of his fortune would pass to his Buffett Foundation.[citation needed] The bulk of the estate of his wife, valued at $2.6 billion, went to that foundation when she died in 2004.[17]

Why are you trying to confuse us with facts!? He's rich, therefore, he's EVIL! We don't care about any of that other stuff! Up the revolution! Off with their heads! Power to the people and all that stuff!

People who play the capitalist game and make money off of the hard work of others, destroy the environment, and live for greed, and then turn around and give large donations to make themselves look good, don't have my respect.

I suppose they could be like the Catholic Church. Take in huge sums of money (theres the hard work and greed), refuse Condoms to be distributed in Africa (theres the enviro angle)...oh and they give out some donations to look good in the face of there employee pedophile Priests.(and there is the looking good angle)

You dont have my respect either.But you knoew that.

We shall see whether's Obama's acceptance of Buffet's endorsement is necessary political expediency or a true reflection of the senator's beliefs.

I don't think you have to agree with everything a person says to accept their support. If that were the case, no one would ever get elected.

Another self serving Wall St. tycoon looking for the few suckers left willing to buy equities, including of course, positions in the companies he bought into a week ago.

Americans, and increasingly Canadians, are fed up with insiders and govt cronies lusting after whats left of working people's savings and investments.

I can never tell if you guys are joking or not?

Back on topic.

The best investor in the world agrees that we are in a buying opportunity.

Harper was bashed for suggesting the same thing.

No need to sidetrack the issue. Point has been made.

Your point has not been made, here is what you miss: High rollers like Buffet are loathed by middle class people faced with financial disaster at the hands of other Wall St. high rollers.

Voter anger only doubled when the other Buffet types - bankers, speculators and govt cronies - got their worst crimes reimbursed by the American treasury.

Your point has not been made, here is what you miss: High rollers like Buffet are loathed by middle class people faced with financial disaster at the hands of other Wall St. high rollers.

Voter anger only doubled when the other Buffet types - bankers, speculators and govt cronies - got their worst crimes reimbursed by the American treasury.

Actually, the point is that it's a good time to buy. To rebut the accusations of Dion's and Layton's attacks.

I was making no point in respect of the jealousy of others.

I guess you weren't joking. I'm running as fast as I can.

Back on topic.

The best investor in the world agrees that we are in a buying opportunity.

Harper was bashed for suggesting the same thing.

No need to sidetrack the issue. Point has been made.

So what does he have to gain by convincing others to rally and drive the market up temporarily until he and others decide to sell and drive it down again?

Anybody who follows his advice is just going to get burned.

So what does he have to gain by convincing others to rally and drive the market up temporarily until he and others decide to sell and drive it down again?

Anybody who follows his advice is just going to get burned.

What does he have to gain? I dunno, perhaps trying to calm the fears of the public while Layton and Dion do their best to drum up fear and will a recession?

So do you predict the markets will be down or up on Monday? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?

Edited by Jobu