harper offers tax break for parents with kids in arts

Quick turn around on the Arts for Mr. Harper. I hope he didn't hurt himself with his flip-flop.

What a stupid idea after cutting funding to send these same people abroad so hopefully they can find work over there.

He is paying parents to send their kids into the same programs, that he just finished destroying the future of.

Another vote buy. Same ilk as the $100 crack check. Make them think you are giving them something, but you aren't. :rolleyes:

Quick turn around on the Arts for Mr. Harper. I hope he didn't hurt himself with his flip-flop.

What a stupid idea after cutting funding to send these same people abroad so hopefully they can find work over there.

He is paying parents to send their kids into the same programs, that he just finished destroying the future of.

Another vote buy. Same ilk as the $100 crack check. Make them think you are giving them something, but you aren't. :rolleyes:

What flip flop? The CPC increased funding to the arts by 19%.

Really? You equate giving a tax break to parents for tuition fees when they send their kid to music or art classes with paying for an Amsterdam vacation for a shredder band? Complete with visits to an "Amsterdam coffee shop"?

The difference is that up till now cheques for the "arts" have often been BLANK cheques! Harper is now starting to target the money.

I don't mind paying taxes for arts and culture but frankly the way it has been done has made me feel like a chump! I sincerely hope that Harper's new approach is expanded to cover more arts spending.

Let's remember that the government has over 3,000 separate programs which spent over $3 billion on the arts last year - more than any previous government. The cuts in 3 programs, which they said at the time were not functioning very well, would amount to less than 1.5% - though they did say at the time that much of that was simply being redirected to other programs.

It's clear this program is designed to assuage those idiots - I mean, Quebecers, who are largely ignorant and easily swayed by the other party's near hysteria on this issue, but at least it will be spent on kids and not on smug, self-satisfied "artistes" whose talents are so meagre no one would be willing to pay for them were the government not there to hand out the equivilent of welfare.

Let's remember that the government has over 3,000 separate programs which spent over $3 billion on the arts last year - more than any previous government. The cuts in 3 programs, which they said at the time were not functioning very well, would amount to less than 1.5% - though they did say at the time that much of that was simply being redirected to other programs.

It's clear this program is designed to assuage those idiots - I mean, Quebecers, who are largely ignorant and easily swayed by the other party's near hysteria on this issue, but at least it will be spent on kids and not on smug, self-satisfied "artistes" whose talents are so meagre no one would be willing to pay for them were the government not there to hand out the equivilent of welfare.

It is far better to hand out money too wealthy parents to fund their kids arts. The low income people will not be able to take advantage of the program because where do they get the other money required.

It is far better to hand out money too wealthy parents to fund their kids arts. The low income people will not be able to take advantage of the program because where do they get the other money required.

What are you talking about? Arts programs do not have to be prohibitively expensive for parents. Yes, it's a little tight sometimes, but that's the point of the tax credit: you get it back at the end of the year. Then the next year is far less tight, because you already have the money for the program from the tax refund.

What are you talking about? Arts programs do not have to be prohibitively expensive for parents. Yes, it's a little tight sometimes, but that's the point of the tax credit: you get it back at the end of the year. Then the next year is far less tight, because you already have the money for the program from the tax refund.

You really have know clue what things cost do you?

Ok, cheap or expensive, Harper is helping to make it more affordable. What's the issue here (besides partisan)?

I think taxes dollars can be targeted better. Do you think it is a good use of tax payers dollars? It well help lower middle income families but higher income do not need it and the lower income will still not be able too afford it. If instead you offered an untargeted tax credit parents can decide what is best for there children and everyone can use it. I do not consider myself partisan because I have voted for all of the main parties except conservatives(I did vote Progressive conservatives). I am biased against harper because he is not real. He is critical of others leadership yet he himself does not come out as a natural leader.(It all seems packaged like something you would learn in a business class). He seems too me like a fish out of water right now because this centerist platform does not fit into what he believes. He is a round peg in a square hole. So yes right now I will probably come out sounding partisan

Edited by independent

Sure I do. I have two kids.

I raised 5. Only one had some interest in music but that was short lived. Three had a lot of interest in drama which cost nothing through the school. Three were heavy into sports. That is $2500/yr of tax credits that we would not have been able to use. Do you think $500 is enough to cover the costs of transportation, instrument and music lessons or is still going to be cost prohibitive to a lot of low income parents? What about all the families who have kids with other interest? Is is fair too just target art.

Edited by independent

I raised 5. Only one had some interest in music but that was short lived. Three had a lot of interest in drama which cost nothing through the school. Three were heavy into sports. That is $2500/yr of tax credits that we would not have been able to use. Do you think $500 is enough to cover the costs of transportation, instrument and music lessons or is still going to be cost prohibitive to a lot of low income parents? What about all the families who have kids with other interest? Is is fair too just target art.

You'd have gotten $1500 for the three kids in sports.

Every little bit helps.

For those with a will, there is always a way. For those with excuses, nothing is ever enough.

It's more like a flop-flop... Let's see whose speech he copies this time to talk himself out of this one...

For those with a will, there is always a way. For those with excuses, nothing is ever enough.

Honestly, do people like you exist in a vacuum, or do you actually interact with reality and just not get it?

Harper's corporate buddies have cost Canada 400,000 manufacturing jobs since Harper came to power, 80,000 of those in Ontario alone. In order for people exercise their will to work, there have to be jobs available for them.

You're dealing with people who just don't get it. They live in a neocon fantasy land that views anyone who doesn't or, more realistically, can't work to their full potential, and therefor is lazy and undeserving of anything but ridicule and contempt. The thing that gets me though, is that the party that embodies this pathetic ideal also happens to have many supporters who claim to be Christian, even though the Gospels preach compassion and love for the poor and less fortunate.

Honestly, do people like you exist in a vacuum, or do you actually interact with reality and just not get it?

Harper's corporate buddies have cost Canada 400,000 manufacturing jobs since Harper came to power, 80,000 of those in Ontario alone. In order for people exercise their will to work, there have to be jobs available for them.

This from a guy who's already proven he knows less about economics than he does about Chinese poetry.

You're dealing with people who just don't get it. They live in a neocon fantasy land that views anyone who doesn't or, more realistically, can't work to their full potential, and therefor is lazy and undeserving of anything but ridicule and contempt. The thing that gets me though, is that the party that embodies this pathetic ideal also happens to have many supporters who claim to be Christian, even though the Gospels preach compassion and love for the poor and less fortunate.

really? So you think funding for First nations should be massively increased I assume?

You also believe in the right to civil disobedience for land claims I assume?

Please enlighten us