Will The Green Party Ultimately Endorse the Liberals?

M.Dancer

OTTAWA — Green Leader Elizabeth May fired back at Conservative Leader Stephen Harper Monday, rejecting accusations that she is a Liberal in disguise.

Mr. Harper predicted the Green leader will ultimately endorse the Liberals during this campaign and should not be allowed to take part in the leaders debates.

But even as Ms. May vehemently denied she is co-operating with the Liberals, an email surfaced showing Ms. May cheering on a Liberal candidate.

This morning at 9:19 a.m., Ms. May sent an email to Brent Fullard, the new Liberal candidate in Whitby-Oshawa, Ont., and copied the email to a broad range of reporters and politicians.

“I cannot help myself!!! GOOD LUCK BRENT!!!,” writes Ms. May in response to a Liberal press release announcing Mr. Fullard's candidacy. “You and Doug together can expose the massive incompetence of Mr. [Jim] Flaherty.”

The reference to ‘Doug' is Doug Anderson, the Green candidate in Whitby-Oshawa for the Oct. 14 election, who could not yet be reached.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...8/BNStory/Front

There has been a lot of heads shaking wondering why Dion has been so accomadating to the Green party....I think it would be a real disappointment fort the fringe party followers if their alternative party was really a clever marketing ploy, sort of how Lever sells more than one brand of soap.

There has been a lot of heads shaking wondering why Dion has been so accomadating to the Green party....I think it would be a real disappointment fort the fringe party followers if their alternative party was really a clever marketing ploy, sort of how Lever sells more than one brand of soap.

They are an international party of very ideological people. They were not something created overnight by Dion.

If they do go over though - you add their vote total to the Liberals, the Conservatives would be in deep trouble.

Steve really set himself up with that remark. There's no way that the Greens would ever endorse Dion and the Liberals. The Greens have been running candidates in elections since 1984, they have a seperate platform, an autonomous party structure. This kind of dealing between Dion and May is common in European politics and really is just part of the game. Harper's playing on the lack of political sophistication of most Canadian voters.

I should add, I think May is becoming the real thorn in Harper's side and will probably soon overshadow Layton's ambitions to be that person.

Edited by Ontario Loyalist

In her latest bid to join the televised debates, May is now using the gender card.

And she has nicely painted Dion as the champion of women. The rest of the good ol boys are sexists!

I was hoping she wouldn't do that. It's really cheap and out-of-date.

I think she really needs to back off on the ruling, and accept it for what it is; dirty politics, not sexism. The other parties don't like the Green's platform, not the leader being a woman. Whatever the case, at this point the Greens have a genuine battle scar and this is bound to earn them some respect from the electorate; pushing it too far and forcing their way into the debate may backfire.

Edited by Ontario Loyalist

I think May is becoming the real thorn in Harper's side and will probably soon overshadow Layton's ambitions to be that person.

Given that they are both religious nuts, you would think that Harper would welcome her to the debates. She's more forthcoming than Harper about her religious nuttiness so she could actually make Harper look somewhat more rational.

The other parties don't like the Green's platform, not the leader being a woman.

It's neither. They just don't want to waste their time letting every little fringe party in. Serious contenders only. If the greens get in, the Christian Heritage Party will want in too, etc.

It's neither. They just don't want to waste their time letting every little fringe party in. Serious contenders only. If the greens get in, the Christian Heritage Party will want in too, etc.

"Serious contenders only"? Trust me, if the media was talking about the Christian Heritage Party every day, they were included in the debates, they would be serious contenders too. Not over night, of course, it takes awhile to groom the electorate. But the media reflects the values of the elites and will only change when forced to. And the Greens are slowly doing that. So in other words, you opinion of "serious contenders" is something that the media has infuenced you on to a considerable extent.

"Serious contenders only"? Trust me, if the media was talking about the Christian Heritage Party every day, they were included in the debates, they would be serious contenders too. Not over night, of course, it takes awhile to groom the electorate. But the media reflects the values of the elites and will only change when forced to. And the Greens are slowly doing that. So in other words, you opinion of "serious contenders" is something that the media has infuenced you on to a considerable extent.

I vividly remember those days when Reform was new and they had just elected Deb Gray as their first MP. Didn't matter. They were shut out of the debates. Period, end of story. ALL the other parties shut them out!

Now somehow it's supposed to be different for the Greens.

And they say there's no leftwing bias in this country...

I vividly remember those days when Reform was new and they had just elected Deb Gray as their first MP. Didn't matter. They were shut out of the debates. Period, end of story. ALL the other parties shut them out!

Now somehow it's supposed to be different for the Greens.

And they say there's no leftwing bias in this country...

The Greens have run in every election since 1984, have run candidates in all ridings the last few elections, got 660,000+ votes in the last election, and are funded by Canadian tax payers as are all of the other major parties. If that was the case for any other party--except for the two communist parties--I would say the same.

There's no way that the Greens would ever endorse Dion and the Liberals.

They already did. May said she supports dion for PM. She did that some time ago.

The Greens have run in every election since 1984, have run candidates in all ridings the last few elections, got 660,000+ votes in the last election, and are funded by Canadian tax payers as are all of the other major parties. If that was the case for any other party--except for the two communist parties--I would say the same.

But never elected anyone. Which leads to the obvious question - how many of her 'voters' support the party, and how many are just protest votes.

The rhino's actually did pretty well some years too, but nobody would suggest anyone actually supports ideas like building a bridge to hawaii to support tourism.

If you can't elect a single mp - then I would have to say that your party truly does represent a fringe element and isn't a serious party.

It doesn't help when you're rooting for another party either. Realistically, that's pretty solid proof she doesn't consider her party 'real' either. You'd never see harper sending layton a 'hope you win' note.

I think the Greens need a new leader. But in any case - let them win a seat, then let them come to the table.

It doesn't help when you're rooting for another party either. Realistically, that's pretty solid proof she doesn't consider her party 'real' either. You'd never see harper sending layton a 'hope you win' note.

rooting? hardly. Actually, I'm thinking that Harper would like Layton and the NDP to do well in this election; having the Liberals and Bloc as his main rivals is somewhat problematic given the way he covets Quebec.

rooting? hardly. Actually, I'm thinking that Harper would like Layton and the NDP to do well in this election; having the Liberals and Bloc as his main rivals is somewhat problematic given the way he covets Quebec.

Nah, I'd say rooting:

As Executive Director of Sierra Club of Canada, I worked closely with Bryon Wilfert when he was Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Environment, Stéphane Dion. He was unfailingly helpful in work at the Environment Committee and in work to prepare for the United Nations Climate Conference. Now that I lead a different political party, I am still happy to attest to this commitment.

Elizabeth May

Leader, Green Party of Canada

source:

http://jasoncherniak.blogspot.com/2008/09/...on-wilfert.html

ps: Bryon Wilfert is a Liberal MP candidate.

And yet, after 7 elections, have yet to elect a SINGLE member. That is the very definition of fringe.

And yet, after 7 elections, have yet to elect a SINGLE member. That is the very definition of fringe.

Concern for the environment and the support for the Green Party is considerable; they have had a significant impact on the other parties to the extent that they all are borrowing from the Green's platform. So that would suggest otherwise.

That's not rooting. Complimenting someone for something is not an endorsement or "rooting". You'll have to do better.

This is an unequivocal endorsement

Now that I lead a different political party, I am still happy to attest to this commitment.