About rent in canada. British columbia

Hi everyone, please i have question to ask about rent.

Im going to rent a house and the owner just moved to another place (Alberta). so he told me to send him deposit by a bank and then pay him the rent on the coming month. also he told me that when i will send him the deposit i need to get the keys from his brother.

so please i wanna know if there is any problem to send him a deposit without getting any receipt , and also pay him the rent everymonth with no contract.

Please i want an answer as soon as possible cause i need to send him the deposit soon.

thanks

Im going to rent a house and the owner just moved to another place (Alberta). so he told me to send him deposit by a bank and then pay him the rent on the coming month. also he told me that when i will send him the deposit i need to get the keys from his brother.

so please i wanna know if there is any problem to send him a deposit without getting any receipt , and also pay him the rent everymonth with no contract.

Please i want an answer as soon as possible cause i need to send him the deposit soon.

thanks

I wouldn't.

First you need his approval and signature on a lease. I would give the deposit to his brothe and he can give you the keys.

thanks

Maybe you want to look here first: http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/default.aspx

thanks

This sounds like a bogus deal. If he is serious he will offer you a one year lease. This is required by law. I wouldn't give this idiot a penny. In fact, I would sleep in a park before I would give him a cheque. He sounds like a scam artist.

There are a lot of legitimate landlords in Toronto. I doubt any of them operates like this.

RUN from this deal. DO NOT WALK or even LOOK BACK.

Occupancy rates in Toronto are not bad right now. You dont need this kind of grief.

Thanks a lot of guys for your reply, i want to add that i know his full name and now he just moved to edmonton and his family is living next to that house that im willing to rent. but when i told him if i can give the deposit and rent to his family he told me no you need just to put it everymonth in my bank account.

so im confused about what to do , cause im just student from another country, and i didn t find any rent. i knew him for a couple of times. but im worry to trust him or not.

Thanks a lot of guys for your reply, i want to add that i know his full name and now he just moved to edmonton and his family is living next to that house that im willing to rent. but when i told him if i can give the deposit and rent to his family he told me no you need just to put it everymonth in my bank account.

so im confused about what to do , cause im just student from another country, and i didn t find any rent. i knew him for a couple of times. but im worry to trust him or not.

The landlord is required by law to provide you a receipt whenever you give him rent. You will need to ask him how he will comply with providing a receipt if what he is asking you to do is deposit into his bank account. BTW, if you do deposit into his account. DO NOT DEPOSIT CASH. Deposit a cheque made out to him, clearly indicating that it is for the monthly rent.

Edited by Renegade

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

please i need your help , i already sent the deposit using western union. he told me that he ganna give me the receipt and the keys, but it tooks 2 weeks to do so , and everytime i call him there is no answer , he answers me by SMS telling me that he ganna give me the keys and receipt soon , so i was really in trouble. Now i rented another place , and i told him to give me my money back but he send me SMS again telling me that he is busy with work and he ganna send it to me soon.

please i need your help , i have information about him, he moved to another state ( alberta, Edmonton) and I am in BC. i know his full name ,birthdate, where he is working now , and i still have his sms on my phone about rent and also i have his bank account number. so please i want to know if i can suit him like that.

thanks

Hi,

please i need your help , i already sent the deposit using western union. he told me that he ganna give me the receipt and the keys, but it tooks 2 weeks to do so , and everytime i call him there is no answer , he answers me by SMS telling me that he ganna give me the keys and receipt soon , so i was really in trouble. Now i rented another place , and i told him to give me my money back but he send me SMS again telling me that he is busy with work and he ganna send it to me soon.

please i need your help , i have information about him, he moved to another state ( alberta, Edmonton) and I am in BC. i know his full name ,birthdate, where he is working now , and i still have his sms on my phone about rent and also i have his bank account number. so please i want to know if i can suit him like that.

thanks

YOu have two choices: talk to a lawyer or walk away and write it off as a lesson. Don't try to fight it yourself.

You should not have given this guy any money.