Coming cabinet shuffle.

With the resignation of Maxime Bernier there will have to be cabinet shuffle of some kind this summer.

Harper will likely take this opportunity to present a new cabinet to the public in advance of the next election.

Here are some possible moves...

Prentice gets another promotion. Finance or Foreign Affairs?

Flaherty gets moved somewhere. He'll definitely stay in cabinet. Industry? International Trade?

Van Loan into cabinet and out of the House Leader's job.

Possible promotions?

Helena Guergis gets a full cabinet spot?

Rahim Jaffer as House Leader?

David Tilson takes over as caucus chair?

I don't see Flaherty going anywhere. Jim Prentice is a workhorse and could do anything so I see him taking on a bigger role.

Harper has to find someone from Quebec to replace Bernier. Maybe Christian Paradis will move up to a full cabinet chair.

Harper also has to find someone for External. I suspect Harper has been thinking about this for several weeks now. You can be sure that Laureen warned him about Mad Max before. I also suspect that Harper's had a chat or two with Mulroney about this.

And the speculation begins. In today's Globe link

One Conservative insider says not to rule out Human Resources Minister Monte Solberg as a replacement for Mr. Bernier. Mr. Solberg, although unilingual, is a tremendous communicator, who did serve in opposition as Foreign Affairs critic.

Junior agriculture minister Christian Paradis, who is seen to have done a competent job and is from the same area as Mr. Bernier, would then be promoted to a full portfolio.

As well, insiders say that he may use this opportunity to either demote or drop junior Foreign Affairs Minister Helena Guergis, who has not been seen to have been effective, especially on the Brenda Martin file.

Secretary of State Jason Kenney had to move in to fix the file and help bring home the Canadian woman jailed in Mexico for two years without a trial.

Mr. Kenney could receive a promotion in this shuffle, according to the insiders. As well, Mr. Harper could reward some of his better performers and solid MPs, including the two James: BC MP James Moore and Alberta MP James Rajotte.

Solberg up to Foreign Affairs? Interesting. Don't see it happening, but something to think about.

Paradis at the big table is a bold move. Pretty young, but hey if he's up to the job...

Guergis out? Another interesting move.

Kenney's been solid. Like Ablonczy I fear he might be a victim of geography as a Calgarian.

Moore sounds plausible. Especially if Emerson indicates he won't be running again. Minister for the Olympics and a full portfolio sounds right.

Rajotte? Won't happen. No idea who Jane Taber talked to about this one. But Harper won't do it.

I don't see Flaherty going anywhere. Jim Prentice is a workhorse and could do anything so I see him taking on a bigger role.

It isn't the first time that stories about Flaherty wanting other portfolios has been discussed. He has talked a lot about international trade quite a bit. Who wants to be Finance minister if the economy turns sour in the next several months.

Harper has to find someone from Quebec to replace Bernier. Maybe Christian Paradis will move up to a full cabinet chair.

Has he done anything notable to merit it?

Harper also has to find someone for External. I suspect Harper has been thinking about this for several weeks now. You can be sure that Laureen warned him about Mad Max before. I also suspect that Harper's had a chat or two with Mulroney about this.

Harper and Mulroney are frenemies again?

I suspect they will leave Emerson where he is for the time being.

If Toews is gone, they need to promote a Manitoban to cabinet.

It isn't the first time that stories about Flaherty wanting other portfolios has been discussed. He has talked a lot about international trade quite a bit. Who wants to be Finance minister if the economy turns sour in the next several months.

Paul Martin didn't, and he did a pretty good job of it. He was dubbed Mr. Dithers by the Economist for his style as PM and was noted for his strong track record as Finance Minister.

Prentice would take the job and has the experience and track record of success to succeed.

Childish and juvenile attitude towards our current and a former PM. So much for raising the level of the board.

I suspect they will leave Emerson where he is for the time being.

If Emerson doesn't commit to running again he'll be out.

If Toews is gone, they need to promote a Manitoban to cabinet.

Brian Pallister has got to be at the top of the list.

In the run up to the election naming one Minister for DFAIT (which is essentially what Emerson is now) could be the way to go.

It isn't the first time that stories about Flaherty wanting other portfolios has been discussed. He has talked a lot

I've never understood how some are so quick to believe that Mulroney is not only Harper's buddy but also pulling Harper's strings.

Harper helped to almost destroy Mulroney's party! With fiendish glee! Reformers looked on the Tories as not much different from the Liberals. That's why they felt the need for a new party.

Must have been a lot of folks who agreed with them. In elections before the merger they received over a million votes here in Ontario alone.

No, Mulroney and Harper may have forged an accommodation but it is a huge stretch to paint Mulroney as Geppeto to Harper's Pinnochio.

I've never understood how some are so quick to believe that Mulroney is not only Harper's buddy but also pulling Harper's strings.

Harper helped to almost destroy Mulroney's party! With fiendish glee! Reformers looked on the Tories as not much different from the Liberals. That's why they felt the need for a new party.

Must have been a lot of folks who agreed with them. In elections before the merger they received over a million votes here in Ontario alone.

No, Mulroney and Harper may have forged an accommodation but it is a huge stretch to paint Mulroney as Geppeto to Harper's Pinnochio.

You'll note that I wasn't the one that implied that Harper spoke to Mulroney at all.

As far as the friend claim goes: Prior to a renewed focus on Mulroney's involvement with Shreiber, Harper had been referring to Mulroney as his friend and Mulroney had been doing some consulting for the party.

I have no idea if they are in contact now but since Harper said no one should be in contact with Mulroney with an investigation pending, I suspect he wouldn't take the chance of ringing the man up to ask about who to appoint to the cabinet.

Edited by jdobbin

Helena Guergis gets a full cabinet spot?

Prentice belongs in Indian Affairs instead of the Invisible one currently in hiding. Send that message to Mr. Invisible MP. If Finley can't get his attention, then give him a seat beside Bernier.

But, since you mention that Guergis needs a Cabinet Position, give her Indian Affairs. At least I know she has not goatee, even if she hides from the problems in Haldimand/Norfolk/Brant/Deseronto.

Rahim Jaffer as House Leader?

Right..... Get him a smoking Jacket......

And a bib :blink:

Edited by madmax