Dubai crown prince buys camel for record 2.7 mln dlrs

jbg

I seem to have missed the part where you admit that you were wrong and made a totally unfounded accusation regarding Muslim countries. <_<
I'm certainly not entirely wrong and I wouldn't want my post to be construed as detracting for my great respect for Islam.

Yes, you most certainly were entirely wrong, not that I'd expect you to admit it.
Then why are the major countries on the scene at each of these disasters the US, UK, Canada and Australia? Why does Israel get involved helping out enemy peoples?

I don't want a pissing match either but wish that you would face facts, as you do so well on so many other issues where your positions are gutsy and not molded by political correctness.

Guest American Woman
Then why are the major countries on the scene at each of these disasters the US, UK, Canada and Australia? Why does Israel get involved helping out enemy peoples?

What does that have to do with your false statement?

I don't want a pissing match either but wish that you would face facts, as you do so well on so many other issues where your positions are gutsy and not molded by political correctness.

You wish I would face facts? You, who made a completely false statement, wish I would face facts??

Let me remind you what you said:

....the Muslim world which unites so well for malign causes doesn't lift a finger for fellow Muslims in need. Why is it that youngsters at the two synagogues I belong to regularly raise money to help (Muslim) Dharfurians? The article below, about a prince who paid $2.7 million for a camel, in a contest with prize money totalling around 9.5 million dollars, may provide some of the answers.

You used as your most recent example: tsunami victims in Indonesia

As I already pointed out, not only was your statement incorrect, but three Arab countries gave more per GDP than the U.S. did. But rather than admit you were wrong, you made it about something else: As for the "generosity" of the oil countries, given their small populations and the fact that they are Muslim countries their % of GDP donations should be much higher.

I'll compare the U.S. population to GDP to the UAE's since that's who you are referring to in this thread:

The EAU's GDP in US millions is $129,702 with a population of 4,444,011, making their GDP $29,186 per person.

The US's GDP in millions is $13,201,819 with a population of 301,139,947, making our GDP $43,839 per person.

So not only did we give less than the UAE according to GDP, we gave even less going by GDP per person.

If you're interested in more of what the UAE does, look into Dubai Cares.

So while I am posting facts vs. your accusation that I am only being PC in my posts, you are the one not facing facts-- and you are posting false statements.

Edited by American Woman

I thank you for pointing out my errors. I still think the Muslim world's response was inadequate, though not, as you correctly point out, zero.

Talk about back-peddling. Being at the top of the list for contributors wasn't in your mind "adequate". So now you are trying to cover a lie with dismissal?

Is your ego really that big, or do have a reason for not wanting to admit you were completely wrong? Man I have never seen so much avoidance since Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky. Technically and practically you are absolutely 100% wrong that Muslims don't constribute to foreign aid AND that it is insufficient.

I thank you for pointing out my errors. I still think the Muslim world's response was inadequate, though not, as you correctly point out, zero.

Indeed, and the comparisons are simple at best....for instance, the USA invested billions in the means to distribute material aid to victims as first responders (e.g. US Navy). American NGOs gave far more to Afghanistan before 2001 than many other Muslim nations combined. Beware of the $/GDP comparisons.....

Guest American Woman

It's good to see you owning up to your error, but your comment leaves me wondering why you expect a nation of less means than ours to give more than they did when they already gave more than our country did. :huh:

It's good to see you owning up to your error, but your comment leaves me wondering why you expect a nation of less means than ours to give more than they did when they already gave more than our country did. :huh:

As pointed out above, the comparisons are misleading because the US and Western countries have far higher level of private, non-governrmental aid, people on the ground, etc. Also I wouldn't call the Crown Prince of Dubain someone of limited means.

Your point stands however.

This didn`t surprise me any because I watch a story on TV about the camels in the Middle-East and how they have races with them. Its just like the North American horseracing. People spend millions to make millions. As far as helping the poor around the world, some of the Middle-eastern countries to give money to charities....to terrorists groups.

Guest American Woman
As pointed out above, the comparisons are misleading because the US and Western countries have far higher level of private, non-governrmental aid, people on the ground, etc. Also I wouldn't call the Crown Prince of Dubain someone of limited means.

Your point stands however.

Since you were so wrong about Muslim countries not giving any aid, could you please provide your source for this Statement: the US and Western countries have far higher level of private, non-governrmental aid, people on the ground, etc.?

• 1 month later...

Congradulations, you've proven that Arabs and Muslims are human beings, and as such wealthy Muslim Arabs are just as capable of blowing their millions on ridiculous items as white American CEOs are.

If you caught me 10 years ago, you might have surprised me.

Of course - just like your momma told you, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because the CP of Dubai is blowing his money while people are starving, doesn't mean it's right for anyone else to do the same.