Brenda Martin's Mother calls out PM Harper

I'm having difficulty believing she is acting without advice from someone or some group. Who in the heck is advising her to act the way she is? For one thing, we can eliminate the Conservatives. Or can we? :lol:

And September 11 was planned in Liberal headquarters as well?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now lets get this straight, this Gal goes on an expose show and crys her eyes out that the Canadian Government is not doing anything for her and tells her side of the story of why she is in jail in Mexico. OK ,thats just fine. She certainly was not hiding anything and her privacy was not an issue,until she is found not to be telling the whole truth! Now her privacy has been breached! One thinks one can protest just a little too much. When I first watched her story I was appalled at her situation but as facts have come out and her behaviour towards those who have tryed to help have been rebuffed, I have much less sympathy for this Gal. Privacy was thrown out when she went on TV claiming her innocence. She set her self up for investigation of facts. I think that she has lost a lot of sympathy since that original show aired or their would have been far more people out today in her support.

Dobbin - as the Liberal Party implodes, I know it's been extremely frustrating for you lately.....but you don't have to slither over to the dark side of knee-jerk anti-Conservative rantings. I think most posters accept your pro-Liberal comments and some of your postings are actually quite thoughtful. If the report was leaked, my guess is that it was done by a Consular staffer who was simply fed up with all the apparent mis-truths that were being spewed by Ms. Martin and her supporters. If the contents of the report are close to being accurate, then Ms. Martin is not the kind-hearted little old lady that she has been made out to be. Since phone records and prison visits are logged at prisons and the consulate, it seems almost certain that the Consulate report is accurate.

Dobbin - I could just as easily manufacture a "smear job" by saying that it is probable that Liberal supporters are manipulating Ms. Martin's supporters to heap "shame" on the Conservatives.

yes, these have been lean times for the liberal party spinners. lol

The Tories need to assure Canadians that they will not take a hands off approach to issues of crime and justice in Mexico. They certainly don't do that for Saudi Arabia and China and speak publicly on those cases.

Funny, the Liberals had a hands off approach to all those countries during their entire time in office and I you don't seem to have a problem with that.

Funny, the Liberals had a hands off approach to all those countries during their entire time in office and I you don't seem to have a problem with that.

I heavily criticized the government for not advocating harder for William Sampson in Saudi Arabia. Why aren't you criticizing the government for not doing the same with Brenda Martin?

Edited by jdobbin

Prime Ministers must be very careful about going to heads of state asking for clemency. Chrtien did that for one of his Pals in a Pakistan jail and got him released. Father Kahder once released got himself killed fighting Canadian allies and his kid sits in an American prison for murdering an American Medic..

Prime Ministers must be very careful about going to heads of state asking for clemency. Chrtien did that for one of his Pals in a Pakistan jail and got him released. Father Kahder once released got himself killed fighting Canadian allies and his kid sits in an American prison for murdering an American Medic..

For immigrants, I want people who would kiss the ground of our country, as so many arriving in America did. The idea of coming to America (or Canada) should bring tears to the eyes of new arrivals in a free land.

The members of that family in Canada, from what I understand, are hardly cut from that mold.

Prime Ministers must be very careful about going to heads of state asking for clemency. Chrtien did that for one of his Pals in a Pakistan jail and got him released.

"So we continue to protest this at every level, up to and including my own (recent) meeting with the president (of China). We will continue to vocalize these concerns."

Stephen Harper in February, 2007 on the apprehension of an alleged Muslim terrorist who is a dual citizen of both China and Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Canadian jailed in Mexico to be tried Monday

Brenda Martin's defence says prosecution has no direct evidence to charges

Charles Rusnell, Canwest News Service

Published: Sunday, April 13, 2008

After more than two years in a Mexican prison without trial, Canadian Brenda Martin will finally get her chance Monday to prove her innocence.

Mexican court documents obtained by the Edmonton Journal show the Mexican prosecutor will argue it has a strong circumstantial case to support the charge that Ms. Martin knowingly accepted illicit funds.

Ms. Martin's defence will point to an indisputable fact: the prosecution does not have a single piece of direct evidence - either documents or witness statements - to support the charge, which carries a sentence on conviction of from five to 15 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Guilty

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — A Mexican judge has found Brenda Martin guilty.

The Canadian woman was given a five-year sentence and fined 35,800 pesos.

Ms. Martin has been in jail in Mexico for two years in connection with an Internet scam run by her former boss.

She has consistently maintained she knew nothing of the scam, but the ruling says she knew there were illicit funds involved.

The verdict comes as a huge blow to Ms. Martin and her supporters, who worry she is too fragile to handle the bad news.

Martin has been in a prison near Guadalajara since February, 2006 however she is expected to be transferred to Canada following the decision.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...tory/Front/home

People living or vacationing abroad need to learn to respect the laws of that country. Too many Canadians seem to think that everyone is innocent whenthe exact opposite may be true. No one has seen the evidence against her so I don't get what the problem is.

She is going to be transfered to Canada after a 5 business day stay in Mexico for the paperwork to go through.

Why is she being transfered to Canada ? She said in a interview that she did not want to return to Canada to live because she does not like cold climates . I say leave her to do her time in a Mexican jail .

Edited by Dog

People living or vacationing abroad need to learn to respect the laws of that country. Too many Canadians seem to think that everyone is innocent whenthe exact opposite may be true. No one has seen the evidence against her so I don't get what the problem is.

What people need to learn is not to go to shithole countries like Mexico. Mexico is not a nation of laws. It's a banana republic with a thoroughly corrupt government, police and judiciary, and a legal system which puts a reverse onus on an accused to prove his or her innocence.

If Canadians insist on going outside the bounds of civilized nations to enjoy the excitement of backwards, lawless places like Mexico they have to pretty much take their chances with what they get.

So the company you work for does something illegal without your knowledge, should you then be held responsible? And does that open you mother up to personal attacks? Ahhh... is this the Conservative compassion we've been hearing about???

Im not a conservative Im a red Liberal who wants to make Christians feel guilty about themselves and pat minorities on the head for not conforming to Canadian values. I'll even throw peoples money at them. Who cares if they haven't paid into the systema t all lets give them the money of people who pay taxes all of their life...yeah thats what I support.

We spend 2 weeks in Mexico every year. No issues. Will continue to enjoy the sun and culture along with over a million other Canadians (who don't break Mexican law)

I find this whole incident insulting to women. Women are not airheads who need to be rescued after crying a few tears. Women are masters of their own fate making good and bad choices.