Obesity now a 'lifestyle' choice.

As adult obesity balloons in the United States, being overweight has become less of a health hazard and more of a lifestyle choice, the author of a new book argues.

"Obesity is a natural extension of an advancing economy. As you become a First World economy and you get all these labor-saving devices and low-cost, easily accessible foods, people are going to eat more and exercise less," health economist Eric Finkelstein told AFP.

"When you have a first-rate medical system that can cure the diseases that obesity promotes, you no longer need to worry so much about being obese," he told AFP.

Obesity is the wave of the future

He's right, why worry about taking care of your general health when modern medicine is there for you? Thank god they dont have universal healthcare in the states.

• 2 weeks later...
I find that article bizarre to say the least.

Get as fat as you want, destroy your health, cause there is always a pill or a surgery to help you???

Umm, ok?

Overweight seems to be the prime cause of so many joint problems. Waiting lines for knee, hip and shoulder replacements are continually being gripped about but still eat what you want aye.

Overweight seems to be the prime cause of so many joint problems. Waiting lines for knee, hip and shoulder replacements are continually being gripped about but still eat what you want aye.

well yah, what the heck, you can just have some surgery to fix it up, 'cept, don't those replacements only last about ten years, so , you can just have another one I guess?

ANd this "lifestyle choice" should not be forced upon children.

Any parent caught buying fattening foods (thus promoting the "fat" lifestyle") should face an immediate monetary fine. Those twinkies are gonna cost you alot more than a few inches on the hips! LOL

If I can't smoke, then fat people should not be allowed to eat fattening foods (or feed them to their kids).

Tit for tat baby

ANd this "lifestyle choice" should not be forced upon children.

Any parent caught buying fattening foods (thus promoting the "fat" lifestyle") should face an immediate monetary fine. Those twinkies are gonna cost you alot more than a few inches on the hips! LOL

If I can't smoke, then fat people should not be allowed to eat fattening foods (or feed them to their kids).

Tit for tat baby

Maybe you would like to control the music that people listen to, also? Or maybe get the government to control the TV and computer images one can watch?

If there is a market for it, go for it.

But I sure as hell shouldn't have to pay.

I wasn't referring to a market, I was referring to what seems to be some people over reliance on pills and operations to correct their own choices.

A foolish personal choice, made at the detriment to one's own well being because of the misconception, some pill or operation will make you "better".

In other words the ill conceived "easy way out".

Why eat a balanced diet or exercise,when one can just take a pill .?