Harper in La Presse on Quebec

I haven't seen reports in English of this year-end interview with Joël-Denis Bellavance. Harper clearly thinks his chance for a majority passes through Quebec.

« Je veux continuer mes efforts pour vraiment unir ce pays» a-t-il affirmé.

« Je pense que notre politique de fédéralisme d’ouverture, l’entente sur l’UNESCO, le règlement du déséquilibre fiscal, mais surtout la résolution sur la nation ont bien amélioré la question de l’unité nationale et le confort des Québécois dans la fédération canadienne », a dit M. Harper durant l’entrevue, qui s’est déroulée mercredi dernier à sa résidence officielle.

« Je veux assurer les Québécois et les autres que nous n’avons pas oublié cette motion. Nous reconnaissons qu’on devra faire plus pour vraiment continuer dans cette voie positive. La population du Québec cherche une solution, comme je dis, nationaliste, et le reste du pays veut une solution qui peut garder un Québec fort au sein du Canada. C’est la raison pour laquelle je n’ai pas l’intention d’oublier cette motion. J’ai l’intention de continuer à faire des choses, étape par étape, sur le terrain pour assurer cet avenir », a ajouté le premier ministre.

« Je ne pense pas que le reste du Canada a vraiment compris l’importance et les effets de cette reconnaissance. C’est la raison pour laquelle je parle de cette question en anglais de temps en temps dans le reste du Canada. Le reste du Canada veut certainement l’unité du pays, mais nous allons trouver un chemin positif, un chemin qui, si nous continuons, nous permettra de régler ce problème », a affirmé M. Harper.

Le premier ministre a soutenu que les tenants d’un gouvernement central fort, en l’occurrence les libéraux de Stéphane Dion, et ceux qui préconisent l’indépendance du Québec ne disparaîtront jamais de l’échiquier politique et vont donc continuer à s’affronter. Mais il croit que son gouvernement a réussi à offrir aux Québécois « une vraie option qui peut remplacer d’une façon permanente le débat entre les centralisateurs et les séparatistes ».

« Je suis foncièrement convaincu que les Québécois veulent un Québec fort, ils veulent être reconnus fortement pour ce qu’ils sont, mais ils veulent le faire au sein du pays uni. Je sais que la reconnaissance de la nation a été très controversée, et parfois impopulaire dans certaines régions du Canada anglais, mais cette reconnaissance a été une bonne chose pour le pays. Le pays est plus uni, il n’est pas plus divisé. Le Québec sera toujours nationaliste », a dit M. Harper dans cette entrevue.

La Presse

The majority of Quebecers are upset with the governments stance on the environment and Afghanistan (info courtesy of CTV, and numerous public opinion polls), which is why I think Harper won't win many seats in Quebec.

Kitchener, in the interest of fostering honest and fair debate assertions like the above should be supplied with links for all to judge the interpretation of the poll you have provided.

We have a resident poll misrepresenter who habitually does not present the facts honestly.

If you want a b*tch fest in which to attack the Government try Rabble.ca

If you want honest debate, some of us try here.

Kitchener, in the interest of fostering honest and fair debate assertions like the above should be supplied with links for all to judge the interpretation of the poll you have provided.

We have a resident poll misrepresenter who habitually does not present the facts honestly.

If you want a b*tch fest in which to attack the Government try Rabble.ca

If you want honest debate, some of us try here.

I assumed that most of the posters here follow the news/polls, and although I don't have a site to prove this, but many polls have showed Quebecers are opposed to the views that the government has on the environment and Afghanistan.

I assumed that most of the posters here follow the news/polls, and although I don't have a site to prove this, but many polls have showed Quebecers are opposed to the views that the government has on the environment and Afghanistan.

Welcome kitchener. Firstly I would say assume nothing when you post here. You make a sweeping statement that many polls show Quebecers' opposition to government action on Afghanistan and the environment. You use this as the basis of your conclusion that Harper will not do well in Quebec. With all due respect, if you want your opinion to be taken seriously, you should provide links to the information on which you base your conclusion.

You make a sweeping statement that many polls show Quebecers' opposition to government action on Afghanistan and the environment. You use this as the basis of your conclusion that Harper will not do well in Quebec. With all due respect, if you want your opinion to be taken seriously, you should provide links to the information on which you base your conclusion.

Well said.

It is why the 'opinion' of our resident poll misrepresenter is laughed off at this point.

It doesn't matter what the issue is we know what it is going to be. Overstating the potential harm/wrong/bad aspects of anything to the detriment of the Conservatives. It is impotent rhetroic that isn't resonating with anybody except the converted...

I haven't seen reports in English of this year-end interview with Joël-Denis Bellavance. Harper clearly thinks his chance for a majority passes through Quebec.

Actually, what is unnerving about this interview is that Harper is thinking of opening up the constitution just as Mulroney did.

Not surprising that he didn't mention this in English interviews.

Actually, what is unnerving about this interview is that Harper is thinking of opening up the constitution just as Mulroney did.

Not surprising that he didn't mention this in English interviews.

Unnerving isn't exactly the word. It appears that Harper is staking his prime ministership on the status of Quebec within Canada and it also appears that no one in English Canada is aware of this.

Harper is perfectly aware of how difficult a constititutional change is and it's not obvious at all that he intends to have a constitutional amendment - despite how La Presse interprets his words.

----

I happen to think Harper is right. This is the way to go. And I think that he's not doing this because it will win him a majority (although it will), it's also the right thing to do for the country.

I am surprised that so far, I have seen no mention of this in the English Canada media, which kind of proves Harper's point.

Unnerving isn't exactly the word. It appears that Harper is staking his prime ministership on the status of Quebec within Canada and it also appears that no one in English Canada is aware of this.

Harper is perfectly aware of how difficult a constititutional change is and it's not obvious at all that he intends to have a constitutional amendment - despite how La Presse interprets his words.

----

I happen to think Harper is right. This is the way to go. And I think that he's not doing this because it will win him a majority (although it will), it's also the right thing to do for the country.

I am surprised that so far, I have seen no mention of this in the English Canada media, which kind of proves Harper's point.

What he has done has dangled the prospect of a constitutional change in front of Quebec by telling them to elect him with a majority (and likewise his counterpart the ADQ).

As far as it hasn't been reported yet, the media has hung the "gone fishin'" sign up for the holidays. One announcement does not make a policy. If Harper is serious, it will be announced over and over again in both languages.

One stark reality though: The Liberals have passed by the Tories in the Ipsos poll for Quebec. Similarly, the last poll for the provincial Liberals has them out on front.

Edited by jdobbin

What he has done has dangled the prospect of a constitutional change in front of Quebec by telling them to elect him with a majority (and likewise his counterpart the ADQ).
I think Harper is serious about this. He isn't dangling anything in front of anyone. As he said in the interview, he has frequently spoken about this in English.

I think Harper is serious about this. He isn't dangling anything in front of anyone. As he said in the interview, he has frequently spoken about this in English.

Speaking about it and saying that he will do it are two different things. He is dangling the bait in front of people. Some will go for the bait and others will remember the two other times they were pulled into the boat and tossed back in the water.

The Constitution is a beast that is difficult to control once it is awakened.

Edited by jdobbin