Election 2008

jdobbin

All of the leaders are seen on CTV's Question Period this Sunday. Most are saying that it will be unlikely that they will vote for the budget in February. It is apparent that Harper wanted the byelections to come after the budget in the event that his government fell. That way, he wouldn't have to face possible Liberal victories prior to an election.

Last two polls from Strategic Counsel and Decima had the Liberals and Tories tied statistically.

Here are some of the links for the CTV interviews.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...223?hub=QPeriod

Liberal Leader Stephane Dion and the other opposition party leaders say they don't think the minority Conservative government will last through 2008.

They suggested in interviews with CTV's Question Period on Sunday that the spring federal budget could be defeated by a non-confidence vote, thus triggering an election.

Dion said Canadians have become frustrated with the Conservative government's policies, specifically their mismanagement of environmental issues.

"After two years of this minority Conservative government, the psychological threshold will have been reached," Dion said. "People may not want, necessarily, an election, but they will not be surprised if there is one."

However, Dion also told co-host Craig Oliver, "If there is an election -- I know you will ask me the question, and I don't know the answer more than you."

Dion spent much of the fall dodging chances to force an election. Liberal MPs abstained from voting on the throne speech. If the opposition had voted the speech down, a federal election would have been triggered.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the leaders are seen on CTV's Question Period this Sunday. Most are saying that it will be unlikely that they will vote for the budget in February. It is apparent that Harper wanted the byelections to come after the budget in the event that his government fell. That way, he wouldn't have to face possible Liberal victories prior to an election.

Last two polls from Strategic Counsel and Decima had the Liberals and Tories tied statistically.

Here are some of the links for the CTV interviews.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...223?hub=QPeriod

Did anything change that made Mr Dion

more prepared for an election?

Did the Liberal Party pay off it's debt

and amass a hefty warchest?

Did Mr Dion pull out of thin air

a national strategy that Canadians

could relate to and vote for?

Has Mr Dion think the voters have forgotten

the sins of the previous Liberal Government?

If He is basing a decision on whether to

let fall Harper's Minority Government

and force an election on Poll numbers

he's a bigger fool then i thought.

2 years is plenty of time for card-carrying Liberals, small-c conservatives and fringe voters to forget about the past. They all seemed to be focused on the failures of the Conservatives and Mulroney's indiscretions have hurt their image - especially since Harper publicly endorsed Lyin' Brian. It sounds like Harper is getting set to manufacture an economic crisis to try to swing votes his way. Unfortunately, it will backfire on him. People know how good things are, and what the indicators are of a turn.

At the moment, I think Harper would repeat a minority government. The polls have pretty much remained static for the last two two years despite the statistical tie in the recent polls.

I think there are few key issues that Dion could propose. The daycare issue has not gone away. The Tory plan is an utter failure. I think Afghanistan will be an issue. After three more soldiers were hurt today, I suspect that the Liberal plan to get out of southern Afghanistan will be an acceptable position whereas the Tory one of staying till 2012 is not.

Fundraising remains an issue but there are still millions coming in under the federal percentage of vote that keep the wheels turning.

What won't be acceptable is another year of abstaining on non-confidence.

2 years is plenty of time for card-carrying Liberals, small-c conservatives and fringe voters to forget about the past. They all seemed to be focused on the failures of the Conservatives and Mulroney's indiscretions have hurt their image - especially since Harper publicly endorsed Lyin' Brian. It sounds like Harper is getting set to manufacture an economic crisis to try to swing votes his way. Unfortunately, it will backfire on him. People know how good things are, and what the indicators are of a turn.

I suspect the pictures of Harper and Mulroney together will brought out in election ad the moment we see the "shrugging Dion" ads. heh

I haven't forgotten that the Liberals raided the Federal Pension plan of 17 billion, stole money is more like it. I haven't forgotten that the Liberals raised UI rates and we now have a surplus of 15 billion. Yet only 49 percent of those that pay into this social safety net are allowed to draw on it.

I haven't forgotten that the Liberals cut transfer payments and now we have third world health care in NS.

I haven't forgotten that the Liberals beloved CPP program starves our elderly into an early death by alloting meager amounts for them to by cat food to eat, yet CPP has a surplus of 120 billion.

I haven't forgotten how the Liberals decimated Mental Health Programs by closing small options homes and mental institution. Ergo those that use to have safe healthy environments live on the streets.

I haven't forgotten the Liberals bragging about a Balanced Budget, sure they balanced it by stealing Pension funds and using the funds they denied UI claimants.

I haven't forgotten the Liberals record on crime, ergo soft on criminals hard on victims.

I haven't forgotten the Liberals neglect of the Military, nor have the vets that are alive. It's called a Pension Clawback, it's okay to pay into two pension but god forbid the Vets get what they paid for. Of course the Politicians get both pensions.

I haven't fogotten that the Left like to brag about how they have a strong record on Social Programs read the above again. As Federal Government institution have grown into massive centers of inefficiency and red tape people are starving, living on the street with mental illness and the Liberals sock the funds ear marked for social programs away and use it to pay down the debt.

The Liberal Party of Canada doesn't need to be fiscally responsible when they can steal from our Social Saftey Net programs.

So in closing why in gods name would someone who cares about those in need vote Liberal? They keep the poor-poor and their litte libby Social Institutions thrive. The Liberal Party of Canada is the enemy of every single person that is hungry, homeless, senior, poor, taxpayer, vet and child.

Vote Liberal and watch the suffering in Canada grow to epic proportions, however they are rather proud of paying down our debt load with money that didn't belong to all Canadians (just those that paid into the Federal Plan).

2 years is plenty of time for card-carrying Liberals, small-c conservatives and fringe voters to forget about the past.

I'm a small c-conservative and I haven't forgotten a damned thing about the past. More importantly, I haven't seen a damned thing in the present Liberal Party which would lead me to even suspect it's any different, any more honest, has any more integrity than under Chretien.

It sounds like Harper is getting set to manufacture an economic crisis to try to swing votes his way. Unfortunately, it will backfire on him. People know how good things are, and what the indicators are of a turn.

Gee, are you saying Harper has manufactured the giant American mortgage crisis?

I think there are few key issues that Dion could propose. The daycare issue has not gone away. The Tory plan is an utter failure.

The Liberals proposed national daycare in every election over the past twenty years, and never followed through on their promise. Last election, with defeat nearing, Martin raced around provincial capitals pouring money on the heads of the premiers and begging them to call it a national daycare program. With the prospect of free money, no strings attached on how it was spent, they said "Hey, sure!" and that's the Liberal Party's "National Daycare Program".

I think Afghanistan will be an issue. After three more soldiers were hurt today, I suspect that the Liberal plan to get out of southern Afghanistan will be an acceptable position whereas the Tory one of staying till 2012 is not.

The Tories have not announced a plan or a date. There is no chance of them staying as is until 2012 without the Liberals agreeing, so that's not exactly a set-in-stone policy.

Fundraising remains an issue but there are still millions coming in under the federal percentage of vote that keep the wheels turning.

Yes, but all that graft and the vote-buying by major corporations is gone. That HAS to hurt since it made up the majority of your funding.

I suspect the pictures of Harper and Mulroney together will brought out in election ad the moment we see the "shrugging Dion" ads. heh

And Dion will be associated with his master and mentor Chretien, and it will be pointed out he was Chretien's Quebec lieutenant during sponsorgate - when money was being passed across tables in greasy Italian restaurants.

And Dion will be associated with his master and mentor Chretien, and it will be pointed out he was Chretien's Quebec lieutenant during sponsorgate - when money was being passed across tables in greasy Italian restaurants.

Chretien is still far more popular that Mulroney. I doubt it would have the effect you think it would. It might possibly make Dion more popular. heh

The Liberals proposed national daycare in every election over the past twenty years, and never followed through on their promise. Last election, with defeat nearing, Martin raced around provincial capitals pouring money on the heads of the premiers and begging them to call it a national daycare program. With the prospect of free money, no strings attached on how it was spent, they said "Hey, sure!" and that's the Liberal Party's "National Daycare Program".

The Tories have not announced a plan or a date. There is no chance of them staying as is until 2012 without the Liberals agreeing, so that's not exactly a set-in-stone policy.

Yes, but all that graft and the vote-buying by major corporations is gone. That HAS to hurt since it made up the majority of your funding.

And the Tories promptly cancelled it even though their own reports now show it was creating daycare space. The Tory program has not. Total and utter and complete failure.

The Tories have said with a consensus, they will stay till 2012. A majority gives them that. Anyone who doesn't want to stay till 2012 in southern Afghanistan should vote for the Tories. Anyone who thinks Canada should leave Kandahar in 2009 should vote for someone else.

Yup, fundraising is certainly harder. Still, five ad campaigns for the Tories have netted them... two points behind the Liberals in the latest Decima poll. Money well spent.

Chretien is still far more popular that Mulroney. I doubt it would have the effect you think it would. It might possibly make Dion more popular. heh

Mulroney was and remains popular in Quebec. And while Chretien was popular among Liberals - who admired a man who had no moral compass and could dish out the graft to them - he was despised in the West and much of Quebec.

Mulroney was and remains popular in Quebec. And while Chretien was popular among Liberals - who admired a man who had no moral compass and could dish out the graft to them - he was despised in the West and much of Quebec.

The last poll taken showed that even in Quebec Mulroney remains below Chretien. That poll was posted in the political polls threads if you care to look.

The only thing Mulroney was above was the law.

And the Tories promptly cancelled it even though their own reports now show it was creating daycare space.

It was creating daycare space? When it was never implemented?

The Tory program has not. Total and utter and complete failure.

What conservatives believe is that the market creates service when there is demand for that service. Giving back more money to parents made them better able to afford that service, which creates its own demand.

What Liberals believe is anyone's guess, but they have never come up with a National Daycare Program despite promising one for twenty years. And they don't have one now.

Yup, fundraising is certainly harder. Still, five ad campaigns for the Tories have netted them... two points behind the Liberals in the latest Decima poll. Money well spent.

Wait till the cameras are on Dion every day and he has to come up with actual policies and answer questions.

"YOU THINK IT'S EASY TO MAKE PRIORITIES!!??!"

It was creating daycare space? When it was never implemented?

What conservatives believe is that the market creates service when there is demand for that service. Giving back more money to parents made them better able to afford that service, which creates its own demand.

What Liberals believe is anyone's guess, but they have never come up with a National Daycare Program despite promising one for twenty years. And they don't have one now.

Wait till the cameras are on Dion every day and he has to come up with actual policies and answer questions.

It was implemented. During the election, the Liberals said there going up the ante on funding to 2015.

And the Tory plan has been a waste of money that has not created any daycare spaces. That, according to the information the Tories themselves released a few months ago.

People complain about the cost of elections and consider it an excuse for not having elections on a frequent basis, but the fact of the matter is that given the way that governments spend, having elections more often would probably save money since it would keep governments from thinking that they can spend with impunity since they won't have to face voters anytime soon.

I'm always up for an election; they should happen every 1.5 to 2 years.

Yearly deficit again?

it's so cute when you call him Steph

As in the yearly deficits run for the first four years of the Chretien era and the majority of the Trudeau era.

Steph is like a cute little puppy who can't be understood and doesn't show any ability to lead the other little puppies. A pleasant distraction, no more and no less.

Only if you are planning to run the Government into yearly deficit again.

Steph Dion clearly refused to answer this question.

And yet it was the Liberals that balanced the budget, and eliminated the national deficit. We're the only G8 country not to have a deficit.

Steph is like a cute little puppy who can't be understood and doesn't show any ability to lead the other little puppies.

If you're referring to his english, I can understand him perfectly fine, as do a lot of Canadians (not the ignorant ones). If you're referring to his ideas, he's been introducing them slowly, showing what the Liberals stand for. And Mr. Dion, believe it or not, has started acting like a leader, and has listened to his caucus, as a good leader does (instead of run his caucus like a dictatorship).