European Pride

maplesyrup

Europe goes to Mars

Mars Espress - Beagle 2

Every society has its exciting moments and tonight, Christmas Eve (6:30 GMT, so Christmas Day in Europe), 10:30 PM on Canada's West coast, Beagle 2 will possibly begin sending signals from Mars. It actually is expected to touch down at 2:30 GMT.

www.beagle2.com

This is going to be an extra special Christmas Eve.

This European project was done with quite a small budget, and it just goes to show what one can do if you set your mind to do it.

Congratulations to the Europeans, and I wish them every success this evening. :blink:

And Merry Christmas to all of you, including our Canadian troops serving abroad. :rolleyes:

From the Source

Mars Express. Beagle 2's mother ship, is confirmed to be in orbit around Mars

The next two opportunities to hear communication from Beagle 2 today, if my time clock calculations are correct, are:

First

A 40 minute possibility between 9:53 AM and 10:33 AM (PST) via NASA's Mars Odyssey

Second

a 5 & 3/4 hour session between 10:15 AM and 4:00 PM (PST) via a giant telescope at the Jodrell Bank Observatory in Cheshire, UK

The Beagle 2 website is:

http://www.beagle2.com/news/index.htm

There are still many attempts in the works yet to get a signal from the little lander.

This is far from over!

This is an interesting project. I think that space exploration is one of the most important feats that we can undertake at this moment. The fact that we have been to the moon still blows me away. If we are to move off this planet and explore space and seek out other planets and possible life forms (would I love to find other life, to see all the religious fanatics squirm....).

Space exploration is very important and I think we should be allocating more money for this cause.

The historial odds are quite slim that Beagle 2 will succeed, as there has been 30 missions and only 3 successes.

I believe you may have mixed up your numbers. From what I've read, there have been around 30 missions to Mars, in total, and about one third have been successful. Of actual Mars landing attempts, 3 of nine have been successful.

Next window of opportunity to make contact with the Beagle is at 10:15 tonight Vancouver time

Followed by a press conference at 12:30 AM on Saturday, Vancouver time, with Professor Colin Pillinger, Beagle 2 lead scientist, Professor David Southwood, director of science for the European Space Agency, and Professor Alan Wells from the University of Leicester Space Research Centre.

http://www.beagle2.com/news/index.htm

Search for life on Mars.

The US Spirit rover is about to land on Mars. Maybe they will be able to help find out what happened to Beagle2 ?

They're gonna need a traffic cop up there on Mars soon. It's gettin' busy.

And even if NASA's rover can't find it, Mars Express is scheduled to begin its search tomorrow for signals from Beagle 2.

'The Beagle 2 team wishes good luck to NASA's MER team with the landing of the Spirit rover.'

http://www.beagle2.com/index.htm

Almost think that America is doing this just to do it and see what is there.

Isn't that the whole aim of space exploration? I think this is very important work that NASA and other space agencies are doing. Discovering other worlds is what we have to do in order to advance our society beyond earth. Look at what happened when the Apollo mission landed on the moon, it captivated the whole planet...we need more of that.

Something else which Americans are doing which is constructive and co-operative, is to assist the Europeans in trying to locate Beagle2, to help further our knowledge of space (Mars).

I saw a NASA official say that today, on the news, which delighted me no end. And with such marvelous US expertise, they may well pull it off. That would be superb.

Surprised the Left isn't saying that the US has 'Imperialistic' designs for Mars. Helping other countries is what it is more about than anything else. If the world wins, they win.

It's nice to see something they do to get the proper recognition.