Don't go your local MP

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070829/...onal/ask_a_tory

Forget your duly elected local MP! If you want government services in your riding, you'd be better off going to the local Conservative candidate for the next election instead.

That's the message the Tories have been peddling in a British Columbia riding they don't hold - and now they're vigorously backpedalling.

The Conservatives' caucus chair in the province had been telling radio listeners and public audiences in Skeena-Bulkley Valley riding not to bother with their elected New Democrat MP.

I'm not surprised the Tories are running from this commentary about bypassing elected MPs to get faster government service.

MP Harris issued a press release indicating Candidate Smith has been appointed as the liaison person between the citizens, taxpayers and voters of Skeena-Bulkley Valley and the federal government. Said the MP: “As Chairman of the BC Caucus of Conservative MPs, I am pleased that Sharon has accepted this role, and I know the constituents of Skeena-Bulkley Valley will derive a huge benefit from having direct contact with government, something that they have not had since 2004.

I and other BC Conservative MPs will work closely with Sharon Smith as she represents constituents of her riding to the government members. It will be a bonus for people of Skeena-Bulkley Valley to have direct representation to the government on so many issues.”

Should we even bother having elections if the reigning government can appoint "liaison" persons? We got the point with Emerson and Fortier but this is undemocratic even for the Cons. Our Steve is a sneaky wily unethical guy - no wonder he's in politics.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070829/...onal/ask_a_tory

I'm not surprised the Tories are running from this commentary about bypassing elected MPs to get faster government service.

I don't understand why they are backing off....that sounds like a brilliant strategy, especially if the citizens aren't getting results frim the incumbants. In any respect what the Conservatives are offering is a service normally done by social workers (getting assitance from swivel servants) ....but most people who aren't on welfare or social assitance of some sort would think of getting an appointment from a social worker (if they could get an appointment) ...so they call their MPP, MP, City counsellor..etc etc.....adding a candidates name to the list of people who will work for you is simply brilliant.

It is the implied message that the opposition is pushing that makes this even an issue. The PC's should publicly state that even though their candidate was not elected, they will always be there to help you with the needs for governmental services. Where the opposition does take all peoples requests and tries to politicise them in their favour, a PC candidate even though he was not elected will always be there to help out those with needs. Without the political baggage. It is just in how you spin the same facts. The attempts by the Libs or NDP to use this in a negative way may well backfire, because once it gets its steam up and starts playing in the news, The PC's will simply explain what was meant by it and show exactly7 what they meant about politicising things, to their own end by the opposition. I do not think that it will be all that hard to show this in the best light when the time comes.

The PC's should publicly state that even though their candidate was not elected, they will always be there to help you with the needs for governmental services. Where the opposition does take all peoples requests and tries to politicise them in their favour, a PC candidate even though he was not elected will always be there to help out those with needs. Without the political baggage. It is just in how you spin the same facts. The attempts by the Libs or NDP to use this in a negative way may well backfire, because once it gets its steam up and starts playing in the news, The PC's will simply explain what was meant by it and show exactly7 what they meant about politicising things, to their own end by the opposition. I do not think that it will be all that hard to show this in the best light when the time comes.

Could you rephrase that more succinctly?

Edited by M.Dancer

I don't understand why they are backing off....that sounds like a brilliant strategy, especially if the citizens aren't getting results frim the incumbants. In any respect what the Conservatives are offering is a service normally done by social workers (getting assitance from swivel servants) ....but most people who aren't on welfare or social assitance of some sort would think of getting an appointment from a social worker (if they could get an appointment) ...so they call their MPP, MP, City counsellor..etc etc.....adding a candidates name to the list of people who will work for you is simply brilliant.

Yes, it is.

In the vast majority of *non-immigration* cases the MPs are asked to look into involving getting information for people that is readily available online or through the appropriate Federal Government office.

If having your local candidate's volunteers do that on people's behalf wins you votes, then why not?

As for the immigration stuff, well that's a whole other matter.

Edited by Michael Bluth

Why they are backtracking is because it lends itself to corruption. The government can try to ensure that they respond quickly to ridings that have a Tory MP in them while slowing down service in areas where there are none. Then they blame the local MP for being unresponsive.

Essentially, they are saying ignore what the election says and go to your local Conservative candidate if you want any service.

Why they are backtracking is because it lends itself to corruption. The government can try to ensure that they respond quickly to ridings that have a Tory MP in them while slowing down service in areas where there are none. Then they blame the local MP for being unresponsive.

Essentially, they are saying ignore what the election says and go to your local Conservative candidate if you want any service.

No, that's not what they are saying. Although the opposition is weakly trying to portray it that way.

It's about people getting the best possible service. If the local MP isn't providing it what is wrong with someone volunteering their time to help people.

If this ends up being a trend across the country in all ridings that is a good thing. It ensures that constituents are getting the help they need no matter who provides it.

I take it back....I didn't read the article and thought it was provincial politics where the Conservatives would be the opposition.....as the Government, they should not ask people to forego contacting members of the government, even if those members are the opposition. Mind you, this would certainly play well if the Bloc used that tactic in ridings held by the Conservatives in Quebec.......

Here is the story about the Cons backing off:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...829?hub=QPeriod

I found this section of the article most interesting:

Government officials have distanced themselves from Harris's unofficial appointment of Smith as the riding representative in Ottawa.

"He just kind of did that himself,'' government spokesman Ryan Sparrow said of Harris's move.

"(Smith) is the Conservative candidate in the next election. That's her only official capacity.''

Sparrow was unequivocal when asked whom local residents should contact for federal help: "They should contact their local member of Parliament ... Ms. Smith is working hard to be that person after the next election, but for now the riding is held by a New Democrat.''