Women should stick to cooking, sewing

kuzadd

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

Cause we wouldn't want to say sexism is only rampant in evangelical Christians or in Fundamentalist Islam.???

Rabbi Ovadia: 'Women should stick to cooking, sewing'

Women should make hamin and not deal with matters of Torah," the spiritual leader of Shas, Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, said in a speech to supporters on Saturday night.

Yosef made the statement in the context of a major Halachic campaign he is currently engaged in as to when women should recite the blessing over the Shabbat candles.

Many prominent Ashkenazi rabbis, along with a few Sephardic sources, have ruled that women should say the blessing after lighting the candles. However, according to Yosef, the blessings should be said before the candles have been kindled, similar to other blessings.

Yosef blasted the opposing view, saying it was based on the opinion of "a few stupid women. A woman's knowledge is only in sewing," he ridiculed. "Women should find other jobs and make hamin (cholent) but not deal with matters of Torah."

Nope, alive and well in Judaism also!

Aah religion, when, will it actually be tolerant and inclusive!

This seems to be an example of one person's views, not necessarily shared by other Jews. Not being Jewish myself, I can't comment on whether or not it is a widespread view, but somehow I doubt that the Jewish women I know would be supportive of it. Just as with fundamentalist Christianity or Islam, you can't generalize fundamentalist Judaism to the religion as a whole.

This seems to be an example of one person's views, not necessarily shared by other Jews. Not being Jewish myself, I can't comment on whether or not it is a widespread view, but somehow I doubt that the Jewish women I know would be supportive of it. Just as with fundamentalist Christianity or Islam, you can't generalize fundamentalist Judaism to the religion as a whole.

Now if you read the entire article, you will see , it is not entirely shared by all.

He is one person, but he is a Rabbi, equivalant as a religious leader to an Imam (Islam)or a priest or pastor.( Christianity)

Therefore he represents at least a version or ideology ,his "brand" of religion adheres to , fundamentalist, progressive, whatever.

"Just as with fundamentalist Christianity or Islam, you can't generalize fundamentalist Judaism to the religion as a whole."

I didn't Melanie read my opening comment, I made it clear to what I was referring to!

Cause we wouldn't want to say sexism is only rampant in evangelical Christians or in Fundamentalist Islam.???

I abhor sexism no matter what religion espouses it.

Edited by kuzadd

Well I don't know about the needle work, but I know a few who can't cook to save their lives......

But seriously....

This daughter turns to her mother and lays her heart bare....

"Mama, I have to tell you, I am having an affair"

"Oy Vey" the mother says, "when, where and who is the caterer? Come on we have not so much time to prepare...."

Thank you, try the brisket and remember to to tip the staff.......

He is one person, but he is a Rabbi, equivalant as a religious leader to an Imam (Islam)or a priest or pastor.( Christianity)

And yet if someone were to post Abu Hamza's preachings as the definitive word, you would be the first to cry foul. Reciprocity.

But back to the case, from most Jewish households I know of, it is the woman who runs the show. Jews call themselves mono-theists? Nonsense. For a Jewish man, the God of Abraham is only #3 in the command structure, sitting squarely behind the omnipotent mother, followed by the wife. Granted, if you disobey one of those, you will nonetheless experience God's wrath.

Edited by marcinmoka

And yet if someone were to post Abu Hamza's preachings as the definitive word, you would be the first to cry foul. Reciprocity.

marcinmoka:

the entire quote, which you 'conveniently' shortened went like this

"He is one person, but he is a Rabbi, equivalant as a religious leader to an Imam (Islam)or a priest or pastor.( Christianity)

Therefore he represents at least a version or ideology ,his "brand" of religion adheres to , fundamentalist, progressive, whatever."

making it quite clear he does NOT represent all of Judaism.

Here's more of what I said....

"Cause we wouldn't want to say sexism is only rampant in evangelical Christians or in Fundamentalist Islam.???"

did you actually read it?

or my comment here:

I abhor sexism no matter what religion espouses it.

Did I say anywhere this guy is the 'definitive word' personally, IMO, he is just another sexist male, and fundamentalist religions of all stripes are full of them.

I love how you write, half-truths , aspersions and assumptions.

Your good at it, do you get paid for it, curious as a day job?

Anyone can come along and read what is ACTUALLY written, you do realize that?

Edited by kuzadd

marcinmoka:

Did I say anywhere this guy is the 'definitive word' personally, IMO, he is just another sexist male, and fundamentalist religions of all stripes are full of them.

Don't assume. It looks bad on you.

Dont be so coy then.

You said..."Nope, alive and well in Judaism also! Aah religion, when, will it actually be tolerant and inclusive."

So, IOW, you condemned all religion because of another example you found.

It wasn't an assumption on marci's part. THats just you trying to be slick and backtracking.

Your inference was clear.

Dont be so coy then.

You said..."Nope, alive and well in Judaism also! Aah religion, when, will it actually be tolerant and inclusive."

So, IOW, you condemned all religion because of another example you found.

It wasn't an assumption on marci's part. THats just you trying to be slick and backtracking.

Your inference was clear.

Yup I said it religion , intolerant and promotes exclusivity, am I mistaken?

I think not.

Edited by kuzadd

Quote: Yosef blasted the opposing view, saying it was based on the opinion of "a few stupid women. A woman's knowledge is only in sewing," he ridiculed. "Women should find other jobs and make hamin (cholent) but not deal with matters of Torah."

Good grief is that the best you can come up with, your hatred and self loathing for religions excluding Islam is appalling. I noticed no mention of him calling for a blood shed, or any hatred being hurled at us Infidels. Potatoe POTATOE, no comparasion to Radical Islam but keep looking for a religion that is currently committing murder, genocide and subjugating women in the name of it's GOD. I can only think of one, the Religion of Peace but keep looking.

LOL the fella sounds like my father when I was young, ladys don't blah blah blah blah.

Good grief is that the best you can come up with, your hatred and self loathing for religions excluding Islam is appalling. I noticed no mention of him calling for a blood shed, or any hatred being hurled at us Infidels. Potatoe POTATOE, no comparasion to Radical Islam but keep looking for a religion that is currently committing murder, genocide and subjugating women in the name of it's GOD. I can only think of one, the Religion of Peace but keep looking.

LOL