I'm officially supporting the Liberals

The problem with funding all faith based schools becomes not only that of money and draining students and resources away from the public system, but where do you draw the line?

Will the province fund Church of Scientology, Wiccan or other less popular religions? The province would have to or face a Charter of Rights and Freedoms challenge. I am surprised that they did not already. Funding the Catholics and not any other group must be unconstitutional.

If the Tory funds all other religions won't he then be forced to fund Atheist systems? That won't sit well with the unclean masses. The fairest and most Canadian way would be to only fund one system...the public system. If you don't like the public system you are free to start your own..but don't expect us to pay for it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with funding all faith based schools becomes not only that of money and draining students and resources away from the public system, but where do you draw the line?

Will the province fund Church of Scientology, Wiccan or other less popular religions? The province would have to or face a Charter of Rights and Freedoms challenge. I am surprised that they did not already. Funding the Catholics and not any other group must be unconstitutional.

If the Tory funds all other religions won't he then be forced to fund Atheist systems? That won't sit well with the unclean masses. The fairest and most Canadian way would be to only fund one system...the public system. If you don't like the public system you are free to start your own..but don't expect us to pay for it.

Funding these schools are basically tax payers funding someone elses religion.

Funding Catholic schools has already been tried and the litigators failed because it's in our constitution that Catholics have a right to public education. The province has to go through measures to remedy this and has not done so.

That's what makes this issue complicated.

Anyone who goes after our seperate school board will be slaughtered in the polls. Or maybe they won't. I'm not really sure.

The Catholic and Protestant thing is an Ontario/Quebec thing. You don't see this as much outside of these provinces.

John Tory's Sleepover

Karen Howlett, September 24, 2007 at 9:04 PM EDT

Memo to Dalton McGuinty:

Remember Etta Young, the elderly woman in Cobourg that Opposition Leader John Tory told us about during last week's all-candidates' debate? She's the one who doesn't have a family doctor and has placed an ad in her local newspaper looking for one. Or the woman in Mississauga who'se been waiting more than a year for an operation on her knee and is walking with two canes?

Well, the reason Mr. Tory has all these anecdotes at the ready when he criticizes the way your Liberal Party governed over the past four years is because he never stops travelling around the province, talking to ordinary folks.

It was here that Mr. Tory divulged that this was his ninth visit to the community, one he said Mr. McGuinty has not set foot in. He even spent the night last December at the home of Anne Marie and Paul Vansickle. He said he would have been quite happy to sleep on the couch but the Vansickles insisted he take their bedroom.

"I point out that they weren't also there in the bedroom," he joked.

. . .

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto.../WBeveryoneblog

haha ...

Yeah, that's just great. But what the hell has he got local candidates for? This is a guy who keeps telling us "Leadership counts" and this tells me he can't delegate.

The Liberals broke promises? Hell, Tory broke one before he even got elected. Now there's a record.

Dancer has it right. A former cable exec with a blond streak a mile wide. When he worked for Rogers he could turn on a dime and everybody had to just gulp and say, "Yahs boss." This ain't the same thing. Not the same thing at all.

Edited by Higgly

After careful consideration, if MikeD and Higgly agree with me I am certainly wrong. Therefore Tory must be the messiah, savior of all things ontario.....

Oh I think this is becoming one of those few unanimous things.

Some people, like John Tory and Tom Long just should never come out of the backroom.

Oh I think this is becoming one of those few unanimous things.

Some people, like John Tory and Tom Long just should never come out of the backroom.

I'm still uindecided though.....I really don't like or trust Mcguinty while I only dislike Tory.............

I'm still uindecided though.....I really don't like or trust Mcguinty while I only dislike Tory.............

M.D. IMO it makes no difference now. We're 6 days from E-day and McGuinty is polling in majority territory. If there was ever a time for you to "lend your vote" to also-ran parties, I guess now is the time. :lol:

I can just see it now in 4 years. McGuinty and co. reminding us that the Ontario PC party's ultimate objective is to decimate our public education system. Be afraid, be very afraid.

M.D. IMO it makes no difference now. We're 6 days from E-day and McGuinty is polling in majority territory. If there was ever a time for you to "lend your vote" to also-ran parties, I guess now is the time. :lol:

I can just see it now in 4 years. McGuinty and co. reminding us that the Ontario PC party's ultimate objective is to decimate our public education system. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I am afraid, being a supporter of the Separate School system I think the ultimate goal is to deny catholics and other who chose the separate boards their constitution freedom of choice.

In the end I may lean to towars someone I trust but dislike......

I am afraid, being a supporter of the Separate School system I think the ultimate goal is to deny catholics and other who chose the separate boards their constitution freedom of choice.

In the end I may lean to towars someone I trust but dislike......

I too support the separate school system. My children are the products of this system and, to my relief, are sending their children to Catholic schools.

In census 2001, catholics accounted for 35% of the province's population. Any party that pushes for the dissolution of the separate school system would pay dearly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario#Ethnic_groups

I reside in the traditional Liberal riding of Ottawa-Vanier (Madeleine Meilleur) which no doubt will remain so. I voted in the advance poll for the PC party (Bruce Poulin) and for FPTP.

I too support the separate school system. My children are the products of this system and, to my relief, are sending their children to Catholic schools.

In census 2001, catholics accounted for 35% of the province's population. Any party that pushes for the dissolution of the separate school system would pay dearly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario#Ethnic_groups

I reside in the traditional Liberal riding of Ottawa-Vanier (Madeleine Meilleur) which no doubt will remain so. I voted in the advance poll for the PC party (Bruce Poulin) and for FPTP.

I'm in St Paul's which is the Bryant's riding. It has a large jewish contituancy where many of my daughter's friends go to hebrew parochial schools....even so, Tory's pitch clanged resoundingly.

Still...even though it's been decades since I've voted blue provincially or federally, I am having a tough time with McGuinty. I will also vote no on the referendum.

I have a few days to be swung into the liberal camp......if not, I may fall back on my tried and true sexist approach, which candidate would I prefer to wake up in bed with.....

Bryant, Michael --

D'sa, Steve

De Kerckhove, Charles

Goldstein, Lillyann

Heller, Julian

Kittredge, John

Leborg, Carol

Thompson, Blaise

My kids have all gone or are going to a catholic School, even though I'm not Catholic. All of them know or knew the difference between right and wrong, good and bad, and that life is more than a nihilistic buffet of "preferences" and "choices," underwritten by radical tolerance. For that I'll be eternally grateful. I recommend religious school for everyone's kids.

All of them know or knew the difference between right and wrong, good and bad, and that life is more than a nihilistic buffet of "preferences" and "choices," underwritten by radical tolerance.

Yeah, what good has racial tolerance ever done for society! :rolleyes:

Vanier is a dump.

Too much crime.

What part of Ottawa is a rough neighbourhood? Almost ALL parts of Ottawa.

Haven't been through the whole thread, if it's a repeat sorry.

I believe Tory's proposal has been misrepresented by many, and his proposal is only one solution towards trying to accomodate various faiths in the school system. Considering he has also promised to increase school funding overall, the current system will not suffer.

Having said that, as far as I'm concerned, it's time to get rid of the RC separate school system; if they can't do that then there is no option but to provide equal treatment for all religions.

Well it's about an issue that effects all of us and our culture. A good conversation piece.

Then you should know what Dion - the leader of McGuinty's Party - had stated at an interview at the opening gala of the Hindu temple. "Tolerance is not enough."

What could that mean? Condoning cultural and religious acts that are considered unlawful in our own culture?

Anyway, isn't McGuinty the one who actually contemplated legalizing Sharia Law?

For him to even consider such a move is beyond stupid, really. He will do anything for votes!

How do you feel about that?

But he has such nice eyes.

I also like the idea that he is Catholic, went to a Catholic publically funded school, is married to a woman who teaches at a publically fudned Catholic school and sends his children to them but on public t.v. says this does not affect his credibility on the issue.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH. And the thing is the majority of voters are going to put this pathological liar and utmost of hip-oh-grits back in power precisely because he panders to their ignorance as to ethnics to distort what John Tory said.

I am completely against any funding of any religious schools. However I find Tory's position a hell of a lot more honest then McGuinty's.

Does anyone here believe his own personal religious views have not given him a conflict of interest on this issue? People know he has one but they c ould care less. That is the way it is in Canada. We are so friggin timid of confrontation, we would prefer to keep a man in office rather then confront him and tell him to his face he's a pathological liar and hip-oh-grit. Can't do that now can we. Someone may mistake that as being anti Catholic.

This has nothing to do with Catholicism and everything to do with how McGuinty uses Catholicism to cloak himself in it to get votes.

I say to all Catholics, your having public funding was never the issue. Its the fact no one else is allowed what you have that is.

McGuinty can kiss my anti-organized religious butt.

I would vote Green but their economic policies are idiotic. I would vote for John Tory as a person but his party is full of idiots. I would vote for Howie Hampton as an individual but his party is full of idiots.

So who does that leave me? In my riding with no one. Bah.

Edited by Rue

Haven't been through the whole thread, if it's a repeat sorry.

I believe Tory's proposal has been misrepresented by many, and his proposal is only one solution towards trying to accomodate various faiths in the school system. Considering he has also promised to increase school funding overall, the current system will not suffer.

Having said that, as far as I'm concerned, it's time to get rid of the RC separate school system; if they can't do that then there is no option but to provide equal treatment for all religions.

I agree only because if it's not done now, the numbers of ethnic seperatists will grow so large in the next 10 years that Tory might have WON just becuase he decided to attack Catholic schools.

So best to deal with it now and leave it in history.

The 3rd world does not seperate church and culture from state.

We do.

That's what keeps them in the thirld world; the failure to seperate religion and culture from state.

Now they are trying to bring that way of life here. The more we mix religion and state, the more hot water we get in.

In 2020 imagine religious riots and mozzletoff cocktails from religious wars between schools. Look at what happened during air india. Good thing there wasn't Hindu schools Sikh schools.

With more than 50% visible minorties in the GTA and Vancouver, ethnic schools will be in each neighbourhood, in each few blocks and wold lead to a nitemare situation.

We should also ban religious parties becuase if MPP gets it's way, get ready for mass religious, ethnic political parties wasting presious time and recources in our political system.

Our Parliment is NOT meant to be a UN. It's meant to discuss law and policy where religion and culture should never be mentioned. That's what makes us a modern country.

To regress backwards 300 years is just insane.

... I would vote for Howie Hampton as an individual but his party is full of idiots.

So who does that leave me? In my riding with no one. Bah.

NDP. What the hell. You know they won't win at the current 14% anyways. If you vote PC on the same logic, the problem is, they might win!!