Calgary Stampede v. Hajj Stampedes

I don't know much about Canadian culture or cultural events. I've heard, over the years, about the annual Calgary Stampede (link). To what extent is it similar to the annual Hajj (Mecca pilgrimage) stampedes (link, excerpts below)?

Hundreds killed in stampede at pilgrimage

Up to 400 dead; ‘the bodies were piled up,’ witness says

MINA, Saudi Arabia - Thousands of Muslim pilgrims rushing to complete a symbolic stoning ritual during the hajj tripped over luggage Thursday, causing a crush in which up to 400 people were killed despite Saudi attempts to prevent stampedes that have plagued the annual event.

The stampede occurred as tens of thousands of pilgrims headed toward al-Jamarat, a series of three pillars representing the devil that the faithful pelt with stones to purge themselves of sin.

Late Thursday, Saudi officials estimated that 400 people were killed. More than 1,000 people were injured, said Dr. Abbasi with the Saudi Red Crescent.

Hopefully, the luggage handling at the Calgary Stampede is better. People may not know what to do if there's luggage in the way of their intended path.

Edited by jbg

I don't know much about Canadian culture or cultural events. I've heard, over the years, about the annual Calgary Stampede (link). To what extent is it similar to the annual Hajj (Mecca pilgrimage) stampedes (link, excerpts below)?

From what I understand,there are some similarities between the two cultural events, but the body count is extrememy low in Calgary's Stampede, if non existant. The Calgary stampedes occur mainly on the site that is exclusive for this event,usually at western(as in Cowboy)watering holes,here the crowds form in lines to get into these places, even into the dead of night, and they just do not want to leave.

Much mind altering beverages are served and ritualistic line dances are performed and where the natives of Stampede culture dress in costumes that resemble the ones their ancestors wore.

Some ride wild domestic animals in arenas, where crowds gather to view and applaude.Others ride in mechanical devices that cause them to scream in fear,but yet desire for more of the same.

This bizarre event occurs for some 10 days in the summer months and has for almost a century.

As you can see there are a lot of similarities.

Hope this was helpful.

Would a misplaced piece of luggage cause a slaughter in Calgary?

Also, is my understanding correct that the stampeders are two-legged in Mecca, four-legged in Calgary?

Also, is my understanding correct that the stampeders are two-legged in Mecca, four-legged in Calgary?

Depends. The rush from the Grandstand show to Nashville North at the end of the night (the big tent bar on the Stampede grounds) is likely the closest most North Americans get to a Mecca like scramble.

Depends. The rush from the Grandstand show to Nashville North at the end of the night (the big tent bar on the Stampede grounds) is likely the closest most North Americans get to a Mecca like scramble.

How many usually die?

• 3 months later...