UK Gov boots intelligent design back into 'religious' margins

I agree with cybercoma. Once you acknowledge that the bible is not 100% true, where do you draw the line? How do you know what is true in the bible and what isn't? How do you know any of it is true?

The Roman Catholic Church has a consistent interpretation. The Bible is allegorical.

Similarly, Roman Catholic Church has no problem with Big Bang theory or the theory of evolution. All are compatible and consistent with Catholic theology.

The Catholic Church accepts that humans evolved over billions of years, rather than being created by God? That's what I meant when I said evolution. I guess I should have said "human evolution". My mistake.

Yes, the Roman Catholic Church accepts that humans evolved over millions of years.

This is NOT incompatible with their doctrine of God creating the universe and God creating mankind. I believe the 'watchmaker' analogy is considered applicable here.

Odd that so many people seem to love to argue about religion without actually knowing too much about it.

Yes, the Roman Catholic Church accepts that humans evolved over millions of years.

This is NOT incompatible with their doctrine of God creating the universe and God creating mankind. I believe the 'watchmaker' analogy is considered applicable here.

Odd that so many people seem to love to argue about religion without actually knowing too much about it.

Thank you to geoffrey and even MM for poking holes in the ridiculous strawmen abounding about creationism. Creationism takes many forms, and a number of them are in no way incompatible with evolution.

If we are talking about a literal interpretation of the bible, then someone please explain how evolving over millions of years is not incompatible with being created in six days...and while you're at it, perhaps you could explain why something as seemingly important as this was simply left out of the bible?

If we are talking about a literal interpretation of the bible, then someone please explain how evolving over millions of years is not incompatible with being created in six days...and while you're at it, perhaps you could explain why something as seemingly important as this was simply left out of the bible?

I have unequivically stated contemporary Roman Catholic doctrine. The Bible is held to be allegorical, not literal.

It is only in some (not all) sects of Protestantism that the Bible is held to be the literal word of God. They are a minority of Christians on the planet. The majority of Christians hold to the Roman Catholic faith and there the Bible is not held to be literal. And thus, there is no inherent conflict here.

Roman Catholic doctrine holds that big bang theory and evolution is not logically incompatible with belief in God as the creator of the universe (according to the 'watchmaker analogy').

Ergo, you have to direct your question to a Bible literalist, not to Christians generally.

I have unequivically stated contemporary Roman Catholic doctrine. The Bible is held to be allegorical, not literal.

It is only in some (not all) sects of Protestantism that the Bible is held to be the literal word of God. They are a minority of Christians on the planet. The majority of Christians hold to the Roman Catholic faith and there the Bible is not held to be literal. And thus, there is no inherent conflict here.

Roman Catholic doctrine holds that big bang theory and evolution is not logically incompatible with belief in God as the creator of the universe (according to the 'watchmaker analogy').

Ergo, you have to direct your question to a Bible literalist, not to Christians generally.

Fair enough. My original comments were directed towards a literal interpretation of the bible, even if I didn't state it explicitly.