Few French Fries Short of a Happy Meal

jbg

Interesting day in Court (link to full text, excerpts below)

Lawyer's 'Super-Size' Gaffe Costs Him Client and Possibly Right to Practice Before Fla. Court

Daniel Ostrovsky

Daily Business Review

May 31, 2007

Printer-friendly Email this Article Reprints & Permissions

Saying a bankruptcy judge was "a few french fries short of a Happy Meal" may cost an out-of-state lawyer the ability to practice in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida.

Isicoff issued the show-cause order May 21 summoning Smith to explain why he should not be suspended from practicing before the court and why his pro hac vice status as a visiting attorney should not be suspended. Isicoff also distributed her order to her colleagues on the district's bankruptcy bench.

Prominent South Florida bankruptcy lawyers say Smith's comment reflects a superior attitude that out-of-town lawyers sometimes display in South Florida courts.

In interviews, South Florida bankruptcy lawyers praised her judicial abilities and her decision to hold Smith accountable for his words. The lawyers said Smith's comment showed disrespect for the judge and the district.

"People come to the Miami and Fort Lauderdale courts, and they think that it's a second-class court system when they come from New York or Chicago or places like that," said Charles M. Tatelbaum, national chairman of the bankruptcy litigation and secured transaction practice at Adorno & Yoss in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "I am pleased because it would have been a lot easier for her to simply ignore it and do nothing, and this is the kind of person she is because she is going to say, 'I am not going to stand for that.'"

Tatelbaum said the bankruptcy bar backed Isicoff's appointment to the bench and described her as a "no-nonsense person" and a "super lawyer" with a "very good sense of humor."

Prominent bankruptcy attorney Paul S. Singerman, co-chief executive officer of Berger Singerman in Miami, said Isicoff is an "even-tempered, polite and patient" judge.

"Sometimes I observe lawyers that come from larger cities than Miami and who perceive that their home city is a more sophisticated commercial center do bring with them, sometimes unintentionally, an air of superiority or arrogance," Singerman said.

• 2 weeks later...
He should take a look in our SC, he might find those missing french fries.
That lawyer will find out on June 25 what his fate is. If anyone wants a copy of the papers, which are themselves amusing, PM me with your e-mail address. I will send.