Europe Getting More And More Cocky

Nuclear

Present Company excluded from the following comments, I'm insulting the politicians, not the readers of this forum:

Our fair-weather friends are at it again:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...el_031110161712

They have a problem with us taxing imports.....

Article 1, Section 9 of the United States Constitution states we can not tax exports, but we have the right to tax imports. This helps regulate foreign competition. If Europe has a problem, I say we laugh in their faces and ignore them. What are they gonna do? We've kicked their butts twice in the last hundred years...frankly I'm growing tired of their whining...if they want, we can remind France and Germany who's boss. I'm of German decent, but after the Nazi took over and then were destroyed, the Germans seemed to have turned into whimps...my family left Germany long before WW1...luckily.

In a 170-page report, a three-member WTO panel rejected the bulk of the U.S. appeal of an earlier ruling that said the duties of up to 30 percent introduced in March 2002 by President Bush administration breached trade rules.

The appeals body is WTO's highest tribunal, and the decision is final.

Sorry, fellas. You signed on and agreed to play by the rules. You broke the rules, you pay the price.

If Europe has a problem, I say we laugh in their faces and ignore them. What are they gonna do? We've kicked their butts twice in the last hundred years...frankly I'm growing tired of their whining...if they want, we can remind France and Germany who's boss.

Ah, yes: diplomacy as practiced by six year olds: "I'm the biggest kid on the playground so I get to make the rules. If you don't like it,. I'll take my ball and go home."

Jesus.

:rolleyes:

i dont know why americans continue to think they are dominant in every field.

india and china together could easily replace every job in the US overnight. other nations will erode the USs economic strength around the world, especially when US companies are threatened by terrorism and hostile governments. china and india are advancing rapidly, and in 10 years, together could definately counteract US actions in the world.

SirRiff

Hi Nuke, the Steel tariff issue is part of a high-stakes poker game between the EU and America on the subject of access to EU Markets for American products. Some hands you win, some you loose and sometimes, your bluff gets called.

In this matter, there was also a domestic political content and while the end game was a loss, it served well its domestic purpose at that time.

SirRiff, you're off topic but what else is new as you beat on your anti-American drum - tell me, are India and China beating off applicants for Green Cards, are the best and brightest of the World attempting to move there? Will you be telling us soon that you are moving to India because they are leading the World in your specialty?

Take note: When Americans are threatened is when we pull out all the stops, go full speed ahead at full volume, both feet beating away and display the technical innovation for which we are famous. When America stands and shouts "Let's Roll", kindly get out of the way unless you wish to become road kill.

India has a bureaucracy which makes the French look advanced and China is busy awaiting its old men to die off so they can join the rest of the World. These are going to replace America? Get real!

It is estimated that by 2050, China's economy will over take the United States and it will be a dark day in world history. It is boarderline treasoness for any American to regard this development as positive.

China is currently sitting quietly in their corner biding their time while simultainiously arming for a major confrontation with the United States. Technology transfers by the Clinton Administration, legal or other wise, have excelerated the process. If you think that China's recent manned space launch is a triumph for mankind, you're a fool. The geostrategic climate will change dramatically in the next 15 years and the US will find itself embroiled in a new cold war.

Bush was right to reclassify that country as a strategic competitor as opposed to a partner. I highly recommend reading The China Threat by Bill Gertz. Gertz is a national security reporter for the Washington Times and has unprecidented access to the intelligence community. You'd do yourself a favor to check it out.

Not a fan of the WTO, or over-globalization. Nor am I a Bush fan. I did hear a commentary on RadioOne about this steel tarriff thing that made some sense. Not sure who said it, Bush or just one of his beureucrats, but apperently the tarriff will stay in place long enough for the yank companies to diversify their business to avoid going bankrupt. Seeing that they believe they will not be able to compete with lower EU prices, I would have to agree that this is a responsible way to deal with it. Your own companies and the jobs of your own citizens are what truly matters. Why would you immediately drop the tarriffs and let all these companies go belly up while watching thousands lose their jobs? As long as it is not an indefinite stalling tactic, I see no harm in this.

SirRiff, you're off topic but what else is new as you beat on your anti-American drum

hey fastned maybe you should try reading the thread before singling something out. the original post specifically states.

Article 1, Section 9 of the United States Constitution states we can not tax exports, but we have the right to tax imports. This helps regulate foreign competition. If Europe has a problem, I say we laugh in their faces and ignore them. What are they gonna do?

to which i respond

india and china together could easily replace every job in the US overnight. other nations will erode the USs economic strength around the world, especially when US companies are threatened by terrorism and hostile governments. china and india are advancing rapidly, and in 10 years, together could definately counteract US actions in the world.

i will just point out how uninformed it makes you look to not even know what is being discussed back and forth. if you cant take the time to read the discussion don't bother trying to criticize others. it only reflects badly on you to not follow the topic of discussion, which if you read the link, was economic sanctions and potential US reponse as the original poster said.

tell me, are India and China beating off applicants for Green Cards, are the best and brightest of the World attempting to move there?

this is how you guage economic power? as someone who has actually been to india, its obviously disgustingly overpopulated. THAT is why there is a huge net outflow of people to less populated regions like north american and europe. adn the best and brightest have the most opportunity to go to north america, where they earn the best return on thier human capital.

this all has nothing to do with the strenth of teh world ecnomic powers. while the US may get some of indias best programmers, the TOTAL effect is that there are still hundreds of thousands of qualified IT professionals in india who work harder and better then anybody because they are more desperate.

we are talking about nations against nations, and not even the top 1% leaving for more money will slow down india and chinas huge advances in global influence. hell in 10 years there may be no brain drain there at all if they can properly reward human capital.

the US is loosing its dominance as globalization takes place, every year the amount it imports from teh world increases, its trade debt is huge. india with its massive workforce will supply huge amounts of IT expertise, which is already taking share away from the US and taking away its high value jobs. china with its manufactuering power will only continue to grow and i think be dominant in the world eroding away the once safe US markets around the world.

in short, western nations cannot match the desperation and populations of potential economic competition.

sirriff

In a 170-page report, a three-member WTO panel rejected the bulk of the U.S. appeal of an earlier ruling that said the duties of up to 30 percent introduced in March 2002 by President Bush administration breached trade rules.

The appeals body is WTO's highest tribunal, and the decision is final.

Sorry, fellas. You signed on and agreed to play by the rules. You broke the rules, you pay the price.

If Europe has a problem, I say we laugh in their faces and ignore them. What are they gonna do? We've kicked their butts twice in the last hundred years...frankly I'm growing tired of their whining...if they want, we can remind France and Germany who's boss.

Ah, yes: diplomacy as practiced by six year olds: "I'm the biggest kid on the playground so I get to make the rules. If you don't like it,. I'll take my ball and go home."

Jesus.

We're the United States of America. We listen to whom we want to when we want to. We busted this planet out of two world wars and have helped several nations with their defense and in building their government. I say we just ignore them. The US get fined by other nations? How dare they....that's quite brave....like the mice yelling against the lion. lol

In regards to the world economy, the Us has a good standard of living. Many European nations share this. Many nations like India and China do not. As US companies outsource so they can save money on wages because only the 3rd world countries will allow you to pay your employees 3 cents a day where in America we have the minimum wage. With the economy becoming a world economy, that means the standard of living will not be absed on how ahrd you work, but on the world-wide average. This means that most of the world lives in mud and clay houses and tree huts because they don't have the intelligence to move beyond that. That's fine. What stinks is that we're gonna see the entire world digress to an average. The world's going to Hell in a handbasket....literally.

We're the United States of America. We listen to whom we want to when we want to. We busted this planet out of two world wars and have helped several nations with their defense and in building their government. I say we just ignore them. The US get fined by other nations? How dare they....that's quite brave....like the mice yelling against the lion. lol

And you wonder why you guys get accussed of harbouring imperial ambitions. And why people think Yanks are arrogant pricks.

In regards to the world economy, the Us has a good standard of living. Many European nations share this. Many nations like India and China do not. As US companies outsource so they can save money on wages because only the 3rd world countries will allow you to pay your employees 3 cents a day where in America we have the minimum wage.

Not sure what you're getting at there Nukes. What does this:

With the economy becoming a world economy, that means the standard of living will not be absed on how ahrd you work, but on the world-wide average

Have to do with:

This means that most of the world lives in mud and clay houses and tree huts because they don't have the intelligence to move beyond that.
?

I have a sneaking suspicion you don't know what you're talking about.