Fuel Economy

jdobbin

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/02/23/mileage/

I think anyone who has bought a car in recent years has questioned the mileage listed. It *never* seems to jibe with what you actually get.

George Bush wisely has made it policy to lower the dependence on oil (something that Harper has pointed said he won't do).

Part of lowering the dependence on oil means testing how people actually drive their cars and reporting the mileage. Many people have been buying cars based on false information on mileage.

It is must that Canada brings it reporting in line with what the U.S. is doing. Inaccurate data on mileage has been used as selling point for many years and it amounts to false advertising.

I think anyone who has bought a car in recent years has questioned the mileage listed. It *never* seems to jibe with what you actually get.

"In recent years"...?...it has been that way since at least the late 70's. They tested them without mirrors, windows taped shut, the hoods taped down, no AC running...you name it they did it.

Same with cigarettes. Low tar......never measured it the way one smokes them, but far different thus a lower tar smoke.

But none of them are lies ,nor are they false advertising. A tad misleading but the results were and are verifiable.

But the same as putting food labels on food...all of them a good idea.

"In recent years"...?...it has been that way since at least the late 70's. They tested them without mirrors, windows taped shut, the hoods taped down, no AC running...you name it they did it.

Same with cigarettes. Low tar......never measured it the way one smokes them, but far different thus a lower tar smoke.

But none of them are lies ,nor are they false advertising. A tad misleading but the results were and are verifiable.

But the same as putting food labels on food...all of them a good idea.

Bush had people from industry and the EPA on the driveway of the Whitehouse today. I believe Bush himself said that it is high time to test automobiles the way they are driven to get accurate numbers. I never said lies. Just false advertising based on a seriously flawed methodology.

Bush had people from industry and the EPA on the driveway of the Whitehouse today. I believe Bush himself said that it is high time to test automobiles the way they are driven to get accurate numbers. I never said it lies. Just false advertising based on a seriously flawed methodology.

Apologies for the "lies"...it was not in your post as you duly noted.

But still, not false advertising . It can be labled misleading but that is an everyday common occurence.

"jdobbin Shoes, the only ones you'll ever own" ---what if I lose them?

"Wal-Mart, we sell for less"----I have bought the same thing cheaper elsewhere

"Maxwell House Coffee, good to the last drop"----eww, that last drop was cold and tasted nasty

The point being is that if evenly measured, then it is true AND misleading, but not false.

False would be beer commercials with beautiful women and the correlation that one could get women by drinking this brand of be......oh wait, those ads are everywhere.

You know the difference between false and misleading. All said, I am not against this happening, it struck me as odd that one would think those "numbers" where in any way the same as you would get, instead of a benchmark comparing the others

Bush had people from industry and the EPA on the driveway of the Whitehouse today. I believe Bush himself said that it is high time to test automobiles the way they are driven to get accurate numbers. I never said it lies. Just false advertising based on a seriously flawed methodology.

Apologies for the "lies"...it was not in your post as you duly noted.

But still, not false advertising . It can be labled misleading but that is an everyday common occurence.

"jdobbin Shoes, the only ones you'll ever own" ---what if I lose them?

"Wal-Mart, we sell for less"----I have bought the same thing cheaper elsewhere

"Maxwell House Coffee, good to the last drop"----eww, that last drop was cold and tasted nasty

The point being is that if evenly measured, then it is true AND misleading, but not false.

False would be beer commercials with beautiful women and the correlation that one could get women by drinking this brand of be......oh wait, those ads are everywhere.

You know the difference between false and misleading. All said, I am not against this happening, it struck me as odd that one would think those "numbers" where in any way the same as you would get, instead of a benchmark comparing the others

I suppose you could however say that if Molson ran an advertisment that said by drinking their beer I would get laid 26 times per night, I would consider that false advertising.....pictures with hot girls....not the same thing. Telling me that this v-8 chevy gets 26 MPG and putting a v-8 chevy next to a gas can are two different things.

Telling me that this v-8 chevy gets 26 MPG and putting a v-8 chevy next to a gas can are two different things.

They may be two different things, but the v8 chevy can and does get what they say it will.

And with a bit of money a really drunk guy might stomache soliciting sex with 26 different prostitutes, that still doesn't necccessarily make it a realistic or fair claim.

I have little problems getting the EPA mileage frommy cars and I have owned many. I can attest to V8 Gm getting very good gas mileage on the hwy's. My 1994 Corvette got 34 MPG and the 1995 vette got 36 MPG if driven 70 mph on normal roads in summer. The 1991 Cadillac got 34 MPG hwy and 25 MPG city. It really depends on how you drive these things. The Buik that I now drive with a v6 only gets slightly better gas mileage then my older v8 cars did. I pretty much believe that this has to do with the fuel injection being computer controlled.

I never got the mileage posted on the dodge products, other then the old Kcars. Fords I always seemed to be able to get a mile or so higher then EPA but I was usually on 4x4 trucks. If people would just take care of their vehicles by doing proper maintenance and practice some smooth driving and accelerating techniques then they would get much better mileage then they do now.

Part of lowering the dependence on oil means testing how people actually drive their cars and reporting the mileage. Many people have been buying cars based on false information on mileage.

It is must that Canada brings it reporting in line with what the U.S. is doing. Inaccurate data on mileage has been used as selling point for many years and it amounts to false advertising.

You're missing the point Dobbin. The gas consumption data are meant to be interpreted as "gas guzzler", "gas drinker" or "gas sipper". No one believes the numbers have any absolute meaning but they do have a relative meaning.

It's like Fahrenheit and Celsius. 10 degrees is colder than 35 degrees regardless of the scale.

You're missing the point Dobbin. The gas consumption data are meant to be interpreted as "gas guzzler", "gas drinker" or "gas sipper". No one believes the numbers have any absolute meaning but they do have a relative meaning.

It's like Fahrenheit and Celsius. 10 degrees is colder than 35 degrees regardless of the scale.

That is not how the EPA has categorized the testing.

The tests are changing to give a more accurate assessment of mileage. Canada should follow suit in requiring more accurate numbers.

So far Harper has said he won't follow suit in trying to reduce dependence on oil. Bush said today it is essential for consumers to have the best numbers on mileage available. The previous tests were highly inaccurate.

I never got the mileage posted on the dodge products, other then the old Kcars. Fords I always seemed to be able to get a mile or so higher then EPA but I was usually on 4x4 trucks. If people would just take care of their vehicles by doing proper maintenance and practice some smooth driving and accelerating techniques then they would get much better mileage then they do now.

The new tests are done to reflect realistic driving conditions which generally involves acceleration techniques not seen in previous testing.