Tories to Run Negative TV Ad Campaign

Regardless of how the ads actually appear they're going to be greeted with cries of "US style smear" and "Swiftboating."

Canada has had so-called "U.S.-style" smear ads for a long time. In recent history, the very worst have come from the Liberals.

That being said, these ads sound like they just simply feature the Liberals talking about themselves...hardly a smear.

Dion and the Liberals will get a free pass from the Liberal-backed (and taxpayer-funded) CBC/Toronto Star/Globe and Mail establishment so I think it's necessary for Harper to take his case to the people.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When? I don't remember anything like this. I don't see the point, actually. Elections are plenty long enough to mock and ridicule Dion's claim as an environmental saviour.

Perhaps the Conservatives are worried about a sudden election and want to use this as a means to dissuade the Liberals for pushing for one.

Regardless of how the ads actually appear they're going to be greeted with cries of "US style smear" and "Swiftboating."

"Swiftboating" - interesting verb. It happens that "swiftboating" was quite educational, and created what little real debate has occurred in any election after 1980.

When? I don't remember anything like this. I don't see the point, actually. Elections are plenty long enough to mock and ridicule Dion's claim as an environmental saviour.

Perhaps the Conservatives are worried about a sudden election and want to use this as a means to dissuade the Liberals for pushing for one.

I think a sudden election would favor the CPC. The LPOC doesn't have the money.

In the last election campaign the Conservative ads were already scarier than the Liberals'. Conservatives and their supporters like to go for personal flaws of opposition leaders, like their mouths, sexual orientation, infidelity, citizenship, etc., because they don't have a whole lot to attack on the policy side. It sits well with their support base of poorly educated rural folk and elderly religious zealots.

In the last election campaign the Conservative ads were already scarier than the Liberals'. Conservatives and their supporters like to go for personal flaws of opposition leaders, like their mouths, sexual orientation, infidelity, citizenship, etc., because they don't have a whole lot to attack on the policy side. It sits well with their support base of poorly educated rural folk and elderly religious zealots.

The pathetic Liberal attempt to grasp at straws in the last election was the most embarassing thing I think I have ever seen. They were offensive not only in their assumption that Canadians were stupid and didn't realize they were completely and utterly false but also in their completely perjorative and untrue claims. If any American referred to their own attack ads as a "Canadian-style smear campaign" after that it would be completely legitimate in my view.

In the last election campaign the Conservative ads were already scarier than the Liberals'. Conservatives and their supporters like to go for personal flaws of opposition leaders, like their mouths, sexual orientation, infidelity, citizenship, etc.,

I'm calling bullshit on this. What ad questioned another candidate's infidelity, citizenship or sexual orientation? The only personal flaw ad I can recall was the one years back showing a very ugly Jean Chretien and his twisted mouth. Then again, the Liberals constantly made fun of Preston Manning's voice.

Ouch! I woulda replied sooner but I jes got back from church and had ta bring the cows in. Ah almost swallerred mah tobackky when ah read yore replah. I hav not had much skoolin' but I take afence to yore callin us hicks and zellots. God made room for all of us in this here grate country. Ah'd appreeshiate if you could let us have our point of vue. Your comments are hurtful.

In the last election campaign the Conservative ads were already scarier than the Liberals'. Conservatives and their supporters like to go for personal flaws of opposition leaders, like their mouths, sexual orientation, infidelity, citizenship, etc.,

I'm calling bullshit on this. What ad questioned another candidate's infidelity, citizenship or sexual orientation? The only personal flaw ad I can recall was the one years back showing a very ugly Jean Chretien and his twisted mouth. Then again, the Liberals constantly made fun of Preston Manning's voice.

Don't forget Day on the waterjet thing.

For the LPOC, live by the sword; die by the sword.

So Dion's Liberals started the negative campaign for this coming election?

I would say so...he's been rambling on about "Harper...scary vision of Canada blah blah blah" for the last few weeks.

For the LPOC, live by the sword; die by the sword.

So Dion's Liberals started the negative campaign for this coming election?

The Liberals have always attempted to *define* their opposition through advertising. It worked very successfully for them from 1993 to 2006. Why wouldn't the Conservatives do it?

IF there's one thing the Cons love to do is blaming the Libs for all the problems of the government. When the government goes back to work you see the "court jester" the "NEW" environment minister Baird, make jokes and blame the Libs for the environment. They seem to praise the US for their environment, when the truth of the matter is, in the summer when the winds come out of the south, so does their pollution!! When Ontario wanted help to put the coal-generator out of commission and put in a nuke, the money for it that Martin set aside was cancelled by Harper. Harper caring about the environment is just an act to get a majority government in the next election. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE!!!!!

We'll see how it plays but I understand where they are coming from - the media is giving this guy a "free ride" - he has done nothing and has no credentials or experience. And by the way - they are not "negative attack" ads is you are simply exposing clips of actaul speeches in a manner that doesn't grossly misrepresent things. In other words - truthful. Negative attack ads are the Liberals "Soldiers in the city - we're not making this up". Here's an excerpt from the article:

Please don't say they are not negative ads. A positive ad would be Harper and the Conservatives promoting their policies and leader. A negative ad is when you attack the other's policies or leader.

It is basic tenet of advertising.

If the Liberals were doing this type of ad, you would call it negative and be all over it. And you'd be right. It is no different this time.

Please don't say they are not negative ads. A positive ad would be Harper and the Conservatives promoting their policies and leader. A negative ad is when you attack the other's policies or leader.

It is basic tenet of advertising.

If the Liberals were doing this type of ad, you would call it negative and be all over it. And you'd be right. It is no different this time.

Hmmm, an ad by a party defining their opponent isn't negative by definition. Please don't try and change the discourse because you know a lot of people believe a much more sinister definition of negative ad.

Oh please. I have been watching federal elections since Trudeau's day, and I have never seen one where the Liberals' campaign was not run from the gutter.

So the Tories are the first to run negative campaign ads in this new election.

And they are different from the Liberals how?

Canada has had so-called "U.S.-style" smear ads for a long time. In recent history, the very worst have come from the Liberals.

That being said, these ads sound like they just simply feature the Liberals talking about themselves...hardly a smear.

Dion and the Liberals will get a free pass from the Liberal-backed (and taxpayer-funded) CBC/Toronto Star/Globe and Mail establishment so I think it's necessary for Harper to take his case to the people.

The smear campaign seems to extend to the media, the civil service, judiciary and probably next you'll be blaming a stupid electorate.

"Swiftboating" - interesting verb. It happens that "swiftboating" was quite educational, and created what little real debate has occurred in any election after 1980.

And now the term is being used for the Madrassa campaign against Obama to indicate he is a Manchurian candidate for al Qaeda. John Gibson of FOX accused CNN of being linked to Muslim terrorism for uncovering the fact the school is not a Madrassa.

Perhaps the Conservatives will campaign against Dion for being a Quebecer.

I would say so...he's been rambling on about "Harper...scary vision of Canada blah blah blah" for the last few weeks.

You'll have to show me the negative ads.

Interesting how you have already called the Conservatives ads as negative without seeing them, but you have to see the Liberals negative TV ads as proof of their content? Any reason for the double-standard?

I think a sudden election would favor the CPC. The LPOC doesn't have the money.

This is what the Republicans thought this mid-term: They had the money, the organization and the ability to run a full national campaign.

Money didn't matter as much this election as what people thought of Republicans.

Bullshit. The Globe and Mail endorsed Harper as their candidate of choice in the last election. Harper will yet again get the endorsement of the Jewish CanWest/GlobeMedia for his support of Israel.