Spam - Possible Solutions to the Problem

Greg

• Forum Admin

OK, I've added an additional field to the registration process, which is extremely simple to do for a human, but very difficult for a spam-bot to complete. This is similar to a few suggestions made by a forum member (thanks Riverwind), and hopefully it will cut down on the automated spam-bots registrations. This will not stop the manual registrations, however, I've enlisted Charles Anthony to help with the removal of spam postings and threads.

Charles Anthony is the first forum member to be elevated to the role of "Forum Facilitator". Forum facilitators will responsible for monitoring the forums and responding to any reports relating to spam. Facilitators do not have any other moderation roles and are solely responsible for spam removal. However, with the new registration requirements, spam may not be as large of a problem as it was - we'll just have to wait and see.

In the future I would like to have the Forum Facilitators take a more direct role in the forums, possibly providing forum members with advice as to how to correctly use the many feature of the forums, and to encourage civil debate. This does NOT mean I am allowing volunteer moderators in these forums. Forum facilitators will have NO formal moderation capabilities - other than spam removal. However, Charles Anthony and I are going to work out the details of this new role, and after a month or two I may invite a few more members to participate.

I will keep everyone notified of the progress on this front, and I hope you enjoy the changes I have made.

Thanks

Greg