Shell (the Oil Company)

Cameron

Dear Cameron,

I believe the common expression is 'practice what you preach', but it is true, media does 'teach' one to act a certain way.

I have not seen any Shell commercials, but I would expect that any advertisements do not have to contain anything but the barest minimum of 'interpretation of truth'. If, for example, Fruit Loops say they have 'added vitamin C, and kids need vitamin C', would you agree that therefore Fruit Loops must be good for children?

Advertising is to sell product, not to tell the truth.

I don't know if this helps any but I used to haul crude oil in Northern AB for BP Amocco. If there was a spill and breach of the berm at any of the wells it was considereed pretty serious stuff. The contaminated soil was hauled out to a site about twenty miles away and dumped into a chunk of land where they did something to it. I was told that with the added chemicals and whatever and a decade or two it was then safe. For what and how safe I know not, only that it cost one hell of a lot of money and a lot of manpower to do this.

I also know that there is a lot of tree planting going on out therre and in BC. Great place for an eighteen year old to make four or five thousand a month. How effective it is I also know not and can only testify that they (Loggin Companies) are going through the motions.

KK, being in the transportation field, have you read about the President’s ‘Clean Skies Initiative’?

“First, this administration is taking a strong stand when it comes to air pollution that comes from diesel vehicles. We made a bold step and a bold proposal. Before we made the proposal, we wisely sought advice from environmental groups, from agricultural concerns, from manufacturers, from energy companies, to develop a strategy that will reduce emissions from diesel use.

Oil companies will now lower the sulfur in diesel fuel. There will be tough new limits -- emission limits on diesel truck engines. And we're putting forward sensible new rules that will control pollution from off-road vehicles, like heavy construction equipment. We put together a good plan to deal with this important issue, a plan supported by a lot of interests.”

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20030916-7.html

Dear KK,

I do not know how safe either, but I do also know that oil companies do spend money on cleanup. Just look at the news on any major spill. Sometimes it is PR money, no doubt, but to make the claim that 'a decade or two and it will be safe' is an ambiguous claim to say the least. Creosote was dumped directly into river systems at one time, only to find out 'a couple of decades later' that it was an extremely harmful product. I don't think I need to mention anything other than the word 'asbestos' on other 'safe at the time' products.

I also dont know how helpful this is, but im all about furthering discussion, so im here to provide you with valuable info.

->Shell oil has decreased its gas venting during oil production by over 13% which is a truly exraordinary figure in and of itself.

->Also their GHG (Global warming admissions) are down over 5%, which is good because whether gloabal warming happens or not is still in debate.

->One of the most stunning figures is that the Flaring is reduced by over 22%. They have begun to usse the gas as a form of power instead of just burning it off into the environment.

->Finally, their spills are 2/3rds less than they were 6 years ago.

So, take what you will from this, but Shell seems to be making drastic improvements. Especially in comparisson to other major oil companies. They wont save the environment, but theyre trying.

All the facts can be checked here: Shell

Dear KK,

As a 'working shmo', I can say that little bits add up. Just ask any company owner if they are concerned that, say, 50 cents could be saved per day on production costs. 50 cents isn't much, especially if it is in CAN$, but add it up and ask yourself if you would want it in your own pocket at the end of the year rather than throwing it away. Then ask yourself, would I want a little bit of dirty kleenex in your pocket or a whole ton at the end of the year.

The Brits have a lead on us N Amerikkaners, for they have a waste management program where ALL garbage is sifted through before going to landfills, and the monies recouped through recycling combined with less landfill space has made a big difference, re:costs for their society.

Cuba apparently puts everyone else to shame on environmental impact issues, mostly because they were forced to by US embargoes. China is a source of shame, because they don't care, and are rewarded for it.

I only said what I saw, that was that care being taken for minor spills. What happens when a hundred and fifty thousand cubes of crude spill out of a tanker off Africa I cannot say. Given the fact that my experience was well away from cameras and evironmentalists and a major spill is in the spotlight you can figure what you want. Far as I'm concerned and know they did right where I was.