Harper is a wimp

Your not debating in good faith RB. Should I be surprised?

The question that you injected yourself into was brought up by geoffrey. He stated

"Umm, Sheila Fraser alerted us to the Sponsorship Scandal."

In fact, the story was first persued by the Globe and Mail. And according to my link, Chretien ordered Sheila Fraser to find out what she could.

In fact, the Globe only began to investigate because of repeated questionis on this issue in the House by the BQ. So technically it was the BQ who clued people into what was going on.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, the Globe only began to investigate because of repeated questionis on this issue in the House by the BQ. So technically it was the BQ who clued people into what was going on.

But Gerry posted that quote about the Globe. So the issue is settled. Or you are not debating in good faith. :lol:

Your not debating in good faith RB. Should I be surprised?

The question that you injected yourself into was brought up by geoffrey. He stated

"Umm, Sheila Fraser alerted us to the Sponsorship Scandal."

In fact, the story was first persued by the Globe and Mail. And according to my link, Chretien ordered Sheila Fraser to find out what she could.

Post a link on that, if you think it's worth pursuing.

It's all a bit of a tangent from the original topic....which is that Harper is a wimp for hiding himself and his MP's from the press.

It's all a bit of a tangent from the original topic....which is that Harper is a wimp for hiding himself and his MP's from the press.

You attacked Harper as being a wimp. You didn't attack his actions. You attacked him personally and directly.

tsk tsk Gerry follow the rules...

You attacked Harper as being a wimp. You didn't attack his actions. You attacked him personally and directly.

tsk tsk Gerry follow the rules...

If I called Harper weak for avoiding the press gallery, would that be an attack? If I called him afraid, would that be an attack? Please provide me with a list of dictionary adjectives I'm allowed to use RB in describing what I see as wimp-like behaviour. Wimp is a dictionary word, btw, so I humbly ask that it be placed under consideration.

And I think you should recognize that when there is supporting evidence for the label then it is quite legitimate.

If a corrupt politician is called "corrupt", should we all follow your lead and cry about a "personal and direct attack", RB? Do clarify that for us also, thx.

If I called Harper weak for avoiding the press gallery, would that be an attack? If I called him afraid, would that be an attack? Please provide me with a list of dictionary adjectives I'm allowed to use RB in describing what I see as wimp-like behaviour. Wimp is a dictionary word, btw, so I humbly ask that it be placed under consideration.

And I think you should recognize that when there is supporting evidence for the label then it is quite legitimate.

If a corrupt politician is called "corrupt", should we all follow your lead and cry about a "personal and direct attack", RB? Do clarify that for us also, thx.

Actually you aren't making any sense. You called Harper a wimp.

From the rules of the forum.

It is not okay to criticize a person's character or directly insult them, regardless of their position or actions. Derogatory terms such as "loser", "idiot", etc are not permitted unless the context clearly implies that it is not serious.

Harper is a wimp = a direct insult of our Prime Minister.

Wimp = derogatory term.

Just because you haven't been subjected to the rules yet that doesn't mean it will never happen.

wimp

noun (plural wimps)

Definition:

offensive term: an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody regarded

as weak, timid, unassertive, or ineffectual ( informal insult )

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dic...efid=1861713420

More applicable to Paul Martin I would think, fits him to a tee.

wimp

noun (plural wimps)

Definition:

offensive term: an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody regarded

as weak, timid, unassertive, or ineffectual ( informal insult )

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dic...efid=1861713420

More applicable to Paul Martin I would think, fits him to a tee.

Careful, RB will be hitting you with the rules.

I prefer Websters. It's something I've actually heard of before:

Entry Word: wimp

Function: noun

Text: 1 a person lacking in physical strength <just because you can't lift 300 pounds doesn't mean you're a wimp> -- see WEAKLING 1

2 a person without strength of character <what kind of wimp would just give in to pressure?> -- see WEAKLING 2

Text: 1 a person lacking in physical strength <just because you can't lift 300 pounds doesn't mean you're a wimp> -- see WEAKLING 1

2 a person without strength of character <what kind of wimp would just give in to pressure?> -- see WEAKLING 2

So your definition isn't an insult?

So your definition isn't an insult?

Correct. In the context of him hiding from the press, he is a wimp. It would fall under the second definition.

I apologize, the Websters definition was through the Thesaurus option. Here is the dictionary definition:

Main Entry: wimp

Pronunciation: 'wimp

Etymology: origin unknown

: a weak, cowardly, or ineffectual person

I would say Harpers avoidance of the press is weak and cowardly.

Because he wants reporters to put their name on a list to ask him questions at press conferences he is avoiding them?

I apologize, the Websters definition was through the Thesaurus option. Here is the dictionary definition:

Because he wants reporters to put their name on a list to ask him questions at press conferences he is avoiding them?

Yes. He wants to pick the people who ask the questions....and has avoided reporters when the system was first introduced.

That, and also given the fact that he's hiding himself and his MP's from reporters to allow complete avoidance of reporters after cabinet meetings he's basically insulated himself from the press entirely.

Recall in France while touring Vimy Ridge he said "Back then ...the enemy had guns not cameras."

Ho ho, that's funny. But what it underlines is his fear of reporters. On his 3-day G8 trip he took a total of six questions. 6.

Leaders from the UK, Germany, U.S, France and Russia spoke to media and took questions every day. Putin held hour-long ask-anything pressers each night. German Chancellor Angela Merkel gave the media travelling with her an hour-long "off-the-record" briefing.

Harper is a afraid of the media, and has decided to paint them as the "enemy", and he's asking Canadians to come along for his paranoid cowardly little ride. No thanks. I might actually want the media to ask my leadership a question once in a while.

You are mistaking contempt for fear. Harper is standing up to them and refusig to do as they want. That doesn't strike me as weak.

You are mistaking contempt for fear. Harper is standing up to them and refusig to do as they want. That doesn't strike me as weak.

Great point.

Now that the Press Gallery has caved in, even just *temporarily*, what are the odds Harper will back down in the future?

About the same odds that the Liberals or the Bloc will allow a trip to the polls this fall.

I don't think so.

When he stood at Vimy Ridge and labelled the Canadian press as an "enemy" akin to the Germans during the battle he sort of gave away his fear.

All soldiers fear the "enemy". If you're not afraid you're stupid. In Harpers case there's no real need to be afraid of the press. They're not as fearful as the Germans were....however he's just a man who is fearful of something like that.

It's quite obvious he's a temporary PM. Being unable to deal with the press does not generate respect.

He might be a temporary PM, it's still too early in his mandate to know for sure how the next election will go. However you would be remiss in saying that Harper is a temporary politician. Like him or not (I definitely don't :P ), you can't deny he put the Conservatives on the map (and in office). I think Harper's going to be around for a while.

It's too late in the evening for me to put together a comprehensive guide to tonight's anti-Harper diatribes. It would be tempting, easy and fun.

It's always easy to put together the facts, which is what passes as "anti-Harper" these days.

Simply relating what he's been up to is "anti-Harper".

His life has become so Bush-like!

He might be a temporary PM, it's still too early in his mandate to know for sure how the next election will go. However you would be remiss in saying that Harper is a temporary politician. Like him or not (I definitely don't :P ), you can't deny he put the Conservatives on the map (and in office). I think Harper's going to be around for a while.

I felt that way about Reagan when he was elected, i.e. that I definitely didn't like him. I was a Jewish law student from the NYC area, in Boston. The only thing that's changed is I'm back in the NYC area and a lawyer.

I now consider him one of our great Presidents. Which PM's do you rate as "great"?