Mantario

The Canadian Public Policy Journal has suggested that there might be some good things that result from a combination of Northwestern Ontario and Manitoba.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/08...1730742-cp.html

What do people think? The Globe and Mail the other day liked the idea.

The Canadian Public Policy Journal has suggested that there might be some good things that result from a combination of Northwestern Ontario and Manitoba.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/08...1730742-cp.html

What do people think? The Globe and Mail the other day liked the idea.

Firstly,I think this is a provincial topic,not a Federal one.

This debate about Northern Ontario has been going on for as long as I can remember,much like the one about South-eastern BC joining Alberta.

Ontario(south) would never give it up it's Northern portion.

Firstly,I think this is a provincial topic,not a Federal one.

This debate about Northern Ontario has been going on for as long as I can remember,much like the one about South-eastern BC joining Alberta.

Ontario(south) would never give it up it's Northern portion.

I considered this but it is only a federal decision that can make that change. Ontario and Manitoba actually fought one another on this...literally. It took Britain to decide it for us. That decison making power is now in Ottawa.

And how would it affect Ontario that much? They lose three provincial seats. They gain much financially.

Manitoba gains as well and equalization goes down nationally.

There has been momentum building on this in the last months. It took an academic study to really judge the fitness. More study is needed. It isn't unprecendent. Manitoba was once the postage stamp province. Quebec didn't it's northern territory until decades after becoming a province. Northwest Territories were calved off into Nunavut.

Mantario hey, when I first read this topic, I thought this was going to be another thread on homosexual marraige... :P

I have a better name proposed for the merger, Blackflyio.

You've often mentioned that you would like equalization to end. Here is one solution that hastens that end.

It would also mean Westen Canada started at Thunder Bay. <heh>

And how would it affect Ontario that much? They lose three provincial seats. They gain much financially.

Manitoba gains as well and equalization goes down nationally.

How does Ontario gain financially?

Taxes generated from this area from businesses,mining,lumber,cottages,residences ect. are all used to feed southern Ontario.

If anything,north ontario could do well to be it's own province and keep the cash at home and also apply for equalization as the Maritimes and do quite well for themselves.

Manitoba has nothing to offer North Ontario that they need.

How does Ontario gain financially?

Taxes generated from this area from businesses,mining,lumber,cottages,residences ect. are all used to feed southern Ontario.

If anything,north ontario could do well to be it's own province and keep the cash at home and also apply for equalization as the Maritimes and do quite well for themselves.

Manitoba has nothing to offer North Ontario that they need.

The Canadian Public Policy paper addresses that in much more detail than I can. They said the poorest prospect for the region was to become its own province. The second worst scenario was to remain as they are with supports being what they are coming from Toronto.

And much of the support for this initiative comes from Northwest Ontario itself.

Mantario hey, when I first read this topic, I thought this was going to be another thread on homosexual marraige... :P

You've often mentioned that you would like equalization to end. Here is one solution that hastens that end.

It would also mean Westen Canada started at Thunder Bay. <heh>

I do enjoy the lesser equilisation, of course I would. And I love Thunder Bay, one of my favourite cities, some great Mountain biking. But I'm not a pro-Westerner, my belief is that Alberta needs to go, along with B.C., if things don't change. I see Manitoba and Saskatchewan (though sask. to a lesser extent) as as much of a burden as Quebec or the Maritimes.

I don't think the black flies are that far west or south yet. Are they common around Kenora? I don't see them near Wpg.

I've encountered some pretty nasty black flies in north central Manitoba, I have an uncle that lives out there in the middle of Godforsaken nowhere and the flies are nasty. They are worse as you move east up until about just east of Algonquin Park (mmm Canoeing, how I miss thee).

I've encountered some pretty nasty black flies in north central Manitoba, I have an uncle that lives out there in the middle of Godforsaken nowhere and the flies are nasty. They are worse as you move east up until about just east of Algonquin Park (mmm Canoeing, how I miss thee).

I thoroughly enjoyed Algonquin, despite the black flies.

I do enjoy the lesser equilisation, of course I would. And I love Thunder Bay, one of my favourite cities, some great Mountain biking. But I'm not a pro-Westerner, my belief is that Alberta needs to go, along with B.C., if things don't change. I see Manitoba and Saskatchewan (though sask. to a lesser extent) as as much of a burden as Quebec or the Maritimes.

Since I don't see Alberta leaving in the next say...2 years, I think that even an Alberta separatist might see the benefits of Northwestern Ontario becoming part of Manitoba. In one stroke, Thunder Bay would become the second largest city in the new province and Kenora would be the third largest and would gain much influence in the new Legislature presently dominated by Winnipeg.

It is predicted that equalization will probably go down which is good for all Canadians.

In one stroke, Thunder Bay would become the second largest city in the new province and Kenora would be the third largest and would gain much influence in the new Legislature presently dominated by Winnipeg.

According to Wikipedia, Kenora has a population of 15,838. Brandon is 39,716. Thompson and The Pas are hovering around 15K too, so Kenora would be somewhere between fourth and sixth largest. The advantage for them joining would be better representation and cheaper energy. Southern Ontario interests dominate the Ontario legislature and Kenora has lost industry because of the price of electricity.

I don't think the black flies are that far west or south yet. Are they common around Kenora? I don't see them near Wpg.

If this all does comes about, maybe Canada could make this a "no fly zone" :D

According to Wikipedia, Kenora has a population of 15,838. Brandon is 39,716. Thompson and The Pas are hovering around 15K too, so Kenora would be somewhere between fourth and sixth largest. The advantage for them joining would be better representation and cheaper energy. Southern Ontario interests dominate the Ontario legislature and Kenora has lost industry because of the price of electricity.

Ah, sorry, maybe the article for Canadian Policy was referring to the municpality size rather than the city itself. I wondered about that but didn't look it up.

I'm all for it as long as they don't name it Mantario...maybe Manitario, or better yet Onitoba.

I know full well that it'd just be called Manitoba, since they'd only be expanding their borders...so piss off.

I agree that they wouldn't call it Mantario.

I can remember when Northwest Territories was calved offin to two territories, they asked the people of NWT if they wanted to continue with the old name or have a new name. A smart alec radio station lobbied for the name "Bob" and it finished second in polling to NWT.

When I saw "Mantario", my first reaction was "great, another thread about gay marriage."

-k

Beat you to it.

Good to see you back Kimmy.