Gov't should make us happier rather than wealthier

"There is increasing political interest in using measures of happiness as a national indicator in conjuntion with measures of wealth. A recent BBC survey found that 81% of the population think the Government should focus on making us happier rather than wealthier."

Adrian White said “The concept of happiness, or satisfaction with life, is currently a major area of research in economics and psychology, most closely associated with new developments in positive psychology. It has also become a feature in the current political discourse in the UK.”

Denmark ranks 1, Canada is 10.

http://www.le.ac.uk/pc/aw57/world/sample.html

My happy and your happy are two different things. The government can't legislate happiness, they can legislate the economic freedom that sure helps.

I was not always happy as a child. When I was about 10, I asked my father why the Declaration of Independence, which promises "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" didn't guarantee I'd be happy. He explained that it meant that people have the right to try to make themselves happy.

Government's role is not as professional shrink, nor should it be.

My happy and your happy are two different things. The government can't legislate happiness, they can legislate the economic freedom that sure helps.

Great point.

Happiness impossible to measure because everyone has different ideas of happy. I'd be happy with we gave out less welfare cheques (personal, corporate, etc ...), if we flooded the market with oil and its byproducts as to make it much more affordable, if either I paid half what I do in taxes or got something worthwhile in return for what I pay, etc ...

I doubt these things would make a liberal happy. So what we end up with is two political opposites (the NDP and all the other 'also rans' are doomed to perpetual failure ... ) like we have now under two different premises -- what they think you will make you happy.

Providing for basic needs, food, shelter, clothing, heat, education would go a long way to creating a country where people would have the freedom to purse self-actualization and "happiness".

To many people "happy" would be being able to feed and house your family and have a safe envirnoment in which to raise them, and I am not talking about "safe" as in freedom from war and terrorism.

I am speaking of having a safe home, where you can count on having heat, no disease carrying rats or other pests, safe from drug dealers and crime, safe from eviction from inability to pay rent.

Happy to disabled people would be having independence, a place to live and food. Employment.

While happiness is relative it can also be subjective when it comes down to such simple things that most people take for granted.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Safety needs

When the physiological needs are met, the need for safety will emerge. Safety and security rank above all other desires. These include:

Security of employment

Security of revenues and resources

Physical security - safety from violence, delinquency, aggressions

Moral and physiological security

Familial security

Security of health

A properly-functioning society tends to provide a degree of security to its members. Sometimes the desire for safety outweighs the requirement to satisfy physiological needs completely

Happiness impossible to measure
In an abstract concept if may be impossible to measure, but in terms of concrete needs that have to be met before "happiness" becomes a factor or concept, it is easily measured.
A properly-functioning society
You can argue that Maslow as others was an idealist but in terms of basic human needs, Canada falls far short of the mark, as do most "democratic, enlightened" countries. Capitalism has circumvented the theory behind democracry.

For many people there is no "freedom of choice".

Everyone has the freedom to do whatever they want. It's all about attitude and effort, if you don't care, then you don't deserve the big house and BMW. Some people might have it easier, but everyone has the same equality of right in Canada (except Indians, they have more).

Gov't should make us happier rather than wealthier, political interest in using measures of happiness

Gov't should as much as possible stay out of people's lives so that they can make themselves as happy or unhappy as they choose to be. No one is responsible for our own happiness except ourselves.

Everyone has the freedom to do whatever they want. It's all about attitude and effort, if you don't care, then you don't deserve the big house and BMW. Some people might have it easier, but everyone has the same equality of right in Canada (except Indians, they have more).

BMW? Big No. Buy Canadian made Chrysler 300.

I've got a novel idea....how about everyone buys what they want, and the best company wins?