If Native Canadians are Tax Exempt

Canada's are too apathic to get involved in a full scale tax revolt. Our payroll deduction system makes it difficult too, it would have to come from a corporate level, and it would be messy. Under the Charter, and the right judges, you might have a case, I can see validity anyways.

You'll likely find they raise taxes on Indians (which would violate another law in itself) before they allowed you off the hook for your tax bill, and you'd likely have to pay the late fees.

It sure would make a legal mess if presented well, though there must be reasons why it's justifiable. A lawyer would have tried this already.

Did you file late and are now banging your head for it? :lol:

Slap a sales tax on things but no witholding or other income taxes at all. It works, run the numbers.
Nah, it doesn't and the numbers mean little.

A big sales tax just means people buy big items elsewhere. Check out any Costco parking lot in Alberta and note how many license plates are from BC and Saskatchewan. Imagine the reverse, with Albertans swarming to Saskatoon to buy stuff. Maybe the Alberta Rat Patrol could start searching vehicles for large screen TVs as well as rodents.

So if we're all equal under the law...if native canadians are tax exempt, then isn't it everyone else's right to be exempt from taxation?

Nope...

Aboriginal rights and freedoms not affected by Charter

25. The guarantee in this Charter of certain rights and freedoms shall not be construed so as to abrogate or derogate from any aboriginal, treaty or other rights or freedoms that pertain to the aboriginal peoples of Canada including

(a) any rights or freedoms that have been recognized by the Royal Proclamation of October 7, 1763; and

(
B)
any rights or freedoms that now exist by way of land claims agreements or may be so acquired.

I recommend you keep paying your taxes.

FTA

I also recommend you actually read up and understand this tax exemption you are referring to. I do not think its a blanket exemption or the great value and benefit you think it is. I also suggest before you wish too hard to be an aboriginal you travel to their reservations and see how they actually live in some reservations. It isn't all glitz and utopia.

I also recommend you actually read up and understand this tax exemption you are referring to. I do not think its a blanket exemption or the great value and benefit you think it is. I also suggest before you wish too hard to be an aboriginal you travel to their reservations and see how they actually live in some reservations. It isn't all glitz and utopia.
The tax exemption only applies to income earned on reserves. At this time the exemption does not mean much because there is very little economic activity on most reserves. This would change drastically if reserves are expanded into urban areas as part of treaty settlements. That is one of the reasons why no further lands should be transferred to native bands unless they give up the tax exemption.

Natives who live in the city or off reserve pay taxes right along with everyone else.

Tax exempt status on reserves hasn't been the economic growth driver that some would believe.