U.S. adapts English

Well I heard on CNN in 25 years "Hispanics" will be the majority in the US, so that means they will have great influence on who gets elected etc ad then Spanish will be the second or first official language in the US. So they may as well change it now because it will be changed in the not so distant future.

Warren Green

You wrote:

"Has the bylaw been passed or not? Or is Ottawa doing all this by decree? What does the law do? Require bilingual services by the civic government?

I have brought up two daughters since official bilingualism came into force. I made damn sure both became fluently bilingual. And it's of great value to them. They both have job opportunties they otherwise would not have. I would encourage other parents to do the same.

Fight the law if you wish. That's up to you. But with two languages you are that much further ahead of those with only one."

Ottawa's bilingual policy bears close resemblence to the federal 'official bilingual policy' and this is why many residents including myself oppose it.

As you are probably aware any kind of policy automatically creates to a degree an 'official policy' and this is what Ottawa's bilingualism policy at present is.

Bear in mind it has not been rubber stamped as 'officially bilingual' by way of Ontario provincial statute.

You make it sound regarding your daughters bilingual fluency that Ottawa is 'offically bilingual' or are you referring specifically to 'official federal bilingualism as you are not being clear.

I do not agree with your enthusiasim concerning an 'officially bilingual Ottawa' as Ottawa is a municipality supported by tax paying residents who should be the ones who decide what type of bilingual policy the city of Ottawa should have if any and not city council or the province.

I view this policy as highly discriminatory especially as Quebec who is part of the NCC has NO BILINGUAL POLICY of any kind with the French as the 'official language' of that province, the only province in Canada to declare itself a unilingual language.

All your doing in effect by insuring your daughters are bilingual is catering to Quebec a province that never even signed Canada's Constitution and a province that treats it's linguistic minorities with language legislation not seen since Nazi Germany and selling out your majority English language rights when in fact you should be supporting and fighting for your rights in the same manner Quebec fights for French linguistic rights.

You can check out Ottawa's bilingual policy:

http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/bilingualis...y/index_en.html

Guest Warwick Green

I am not enthusiastic at all about "official bilingualism" at the federal level but I have to recognize that it is not going away. So I have learnt to live with it. What I have done in ensuring my daughters are bilingual is to give them additional life skills. They both have jobs where their bilingualism is an asset - in fact in my older daughter's job bilingualism is a requirement. In fact they are both trilingual - one speaks Russian and the other Spanish. Both these languages help with thier jobs.

The only problem is warren is there is no real requirement for 'official bilingualism' in Canada.

Quebec really has no use for the ROC as they are basically only interested in Ottawa, where the federal power is.

Ontario is not 'officially bilingual' and Ottawa has a bilingual policy, but unlike the discriminatory 'official' federal one it is not official in the sense where it is blueprinted into Ontario provincial law but nevertheless it just as discriminatory as the federal version as it was imposed on residents of Ottawa without any kind of municiple tax payer consent.

This is truly amazing for majority English tax payers to have this type of offensive policy imposed on them and not respond by kicking the present mayor and city administrators out of office and the same thing applies to the federal government, just keep kicking the government out of office until they remove their federal 'official bilingual policy' or have it justified by a national referendum.

Guest Warwick Green
The only problem is warren is there is no real requirement for 'official bilingualism' in Canada.

Quebec really has no use for the ROC as they are basically only interested in Ottawa, where the federal power is.

Ontario is not 'officially bilingual' and Ottawa has a bilingual policy, but unlike the discriminatory 'official' federal one it is not official in the sense where it is blueprinted into Ontario provincial law but nevertheless it just as discriminatory as the federal version as it was imposed on residents of Ottawa without any kind of municiple tax payer consent.

This is truly amazing for majority English tax payers to have this type of offensive policy imposed on them and not respond by kicking the present mayor and city administrators out of office and the same thing applies to the federal government, just keep kicking the government out of office until they remove their federal 'official bilingual policy' or have it justified by a national referendum.

What party are you aware of that would either (i) "remove their federal 'official bilingual policy'" or (ii) "have it justified by a national referendum."

theloniusfleabag

You also wrote- " English (offical)59.3%, French (offical)23.2%, other 17.5%."

Federal language numbers do not reflect the reality of the actually language used in everyday use. I would say they are fraudulent and do not apply to real life conditons pertaining to usage across Canada

Where do you live? I can say that during my times shopping and buying groceries or going to Ikea on the weekend that chatter I hear over my ear is almost always neither Frensh or English. I would say maybe 1 out of 5 people talking over my ear are speaking English.

Actually there are many groups fighting for their languages to become official. Just like the Sikh's in Vancouver were able to get Punjabi language courses in the Universities and they are trying to get fullly funded Punjabi only public schools from what I understand.

Languages are regional more than ethnic and as long as the US speaks English we will too... well... i take that back.. who knows what will happen in 10 years with this country.

Warwick Green

You wrote:

"What party are you aware of that would either (i) "remove their federal 'official bilingual policy'" or (ii) "have it justified by a national referendum."

After 35 plus years of federal government rule from a string of prime ministers from Quebec with a fabricated unity issue based on separation as bait, presently there is no federal party that would undo 'federal official bilingualism.

I say fabricated because the 'issue' appears to be perpetual in nature and was not or never dealt with properly and constitutes constitutional blackmail.

I think any federal national party other than Quebec infiltrated Liberal party will eventually eliminate the 'federal official bilingual policy' or have it justified by 'national referendum' as this policy discriminates against other provinces that cannot compete or deal on the basis of linguistics as a tool to obtain employment in the federal public service or manipulate it's workings.

This federal official bilingual policy is highly irregular as all Canadian provinces are not provincially 'offically bilingual' except for the province of New Brunswick.

How the federal government can apply this discriminating policy especially in the provinces of Quebec and Ontario both provinces being NOT provincially 'officially bilingual' is mind boggling.