Coincidental ramifications of free trade agreements?

the link provided is an interesting piece i foundone day that sums up the current situation with the US entirely... something obviously needs to be done and its fairly obvious that the trade agreements with the states were a deciding factor on the social infrastructure cuts of the early 90's.... jus check and out and let me know your opinions... one last thing look at the track record of the IMF and the WTO in south america and what those trade agreements have done to social conditions in those countries

http://www.canadians.org/documents/ZipLockingNA.doc

...the source of the article is Murray Dobson's council of canadians website...
Uh, is Maude Barlow's Council of Canadians a "trusted" website?

I said it all along that trade agreements are meant to benefit multinational corporations and their shareholders, not ordinary Canadians. The longer we keep ourselves signed onto these agreements the less relavant our elected governments are, as they are being upsurped by the corporate agenda of the multinationals. I read a book a few years ago written by Paul Helyer for Finance Minister under Pierre Trudeau and in that book he warned readers of exactly what is happening right now by the signing of Free-Trade agreements. The book is called; "The Evil Empire." In that book he says that no social program in Canada is safe due to provisions in these deals, that virtually allows these multinational corporations to effectively rule our country without ever being elected to do so by the people of Canada. In effect we have signed away our sovereignty with the signing of these deals.

I disagree mcqueen.

My family has personally benefited greatly from the free-trade arrangements around the world, particularly NAFTA, and we are small business owners, not multinational corporation types. Most people that I talk to in the small business sector love the idea of free trade. Small businesses rarely have a market that is big enough to function in Canada, or suppliers that can meet their demands domestically. The world market gives us greater opportunity in both supply and demand.

Multinationals can find ways around the agreements with political power. The everyday little guy can't. That's why the blanket agreements help small business far more than multinationals.