Bush constantly setting up straw men arguments to knock down.

AP Breaking News

Bush Using Straw-Man Arguments in Speeches

- By JENNIFER LOVEN, Associated Press Writer

Saturday, March 18, 2006

"Some look at the challenges in Iraq and conclude that the war is lost and not worth another dime or another day," President Bush said recently.

Another time he said, "Some say that if you're Muslim you can't be free."

"There are some really decent people," the president said earlier this year, "who believe that the federal government ought to be the decider of health care ... for all people."

Of course, hardly anyone in mainstream political debate has made such assertions.

snip

When the president starts a sentence with "some say" or offers up what "some in Washington" believe, as he is doing more often these days, a rhetorical retort almost assuredly follows.

He typically then says he "strongly disagrees" — conveniently knocking down a straw man of his own making.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...08.DTL#sections

Jeezus H, our PM has been doing the same thing lately!! Did KKKarl Rove move to Canada to escape prosecution and find a job with Stephen Harper's government?

Jeezus H, our PM has been doing the same thing lately!! Did KKKarl Rove move to Canada to escape prosecution and find a job with Stephen Harper's government?

"Jeezus H". You can't be serious, you discredit yourself further.

Do you have any examples of such arguments from Harper, or are you expecting us to just take your word for it?

"Jeezus H". You can't be serious, you discredit yourself further.

Do you have any examples of such arguments from Harper, or are you expecting us to just take your word for it?

No, no Geoffrey, you don't get it. It was in the MEDIA, see? That means it has to be true. And since they keep musing in the MEDIA that Harper is as far right as that wing nut Bush, then logic would dictate that Harper does pretty much the same things as Bush. It's sooo cleeaarrrr.

Hey hatrick, here's a challenge for you: find a story in the media that says Bush likes to bark like a dog, then start several threads with slightly varying titles to give the impression of differing topics. Extra marks for pictures.

Candians in general don't support the troops, they want to take them away from doing the job they are all so excited to do in Afghanistan.

Remember, our operations are all volunteer. Everyone wants to be in Afghanistan helping out.

Mr. Harper is always posturing and campaigning. we all know how sincere his speech to the troops was - I suppose as sincere as Bush was when he delivered the same speech a while ago.

But how about his meeting with the Afghan President?

"As I said to the president, we have a parliamentary system and I don’t control the majority and I don’t control the other parties." Implying that he is the only one concerned with their plight.

Then of course cited a Conservative election promise to hold a vote on all future military deployments: ."These things obviously will be put to votes in the future. That's a commitment we've made," Harper said.

And then "I would urge the opposition parties not to play politics with that commitment but to get behind our troops and get behind our international commitment,"

What the heck?

Mr. Harper is always posturing and campaigning. we all know how sincere his speech to the troops was - I suppose as sincere as Bush was when he delivered the same speech a while ago.

"As I said to the president, we have a parliamentary system and I don’t control the majority and I don’t control the other parties." Implying that he is the only one concerned with their plight.

Then of course cited a Conservative election promise to hold a vote on all future military deployments: ."These things obviously will be put to votes in the future. That's a commitment we've made," Harper said.

And then "I would urge the opposition parties not to play politics with that commitment but to get behind our troops and get behind our international commitment,"

What the heck?

Easy. Jack Layton wants to abandon Afghanistan. The Liberals look like they are becoming more opposed to their own mission by the day. The BQ has always been a pacificist lets not do anything for the world party.

Looks like Harper is right on the money.

What the heck?

Geoffry,... Obviously you arent familiar with the Liberal party stance on Afghanistan. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the stance before stating what you think it is.

Easy. Jack Layton wants to abandon Afghanistan. The Liberals look like they are becoming more opposed to their own mission by the day. The BQ has always been a pacificist lets not do anything for the world party.

Looks like Harper is right on the money.

AP Breaking News

Saturday, March 18, 2006

"Some look at the challenges in Iraq and conclude that the war is lost and not worth another dime or another day," President Bush said recently.

"There are some really decent people," the president said earlier this year, "who believe that the federal government ought to be the decider of health care ... for all people."

Of course, hardly anyone in mainstream political debate has made such assertions.

snip

When the president starts a sentence with "some say" or offers up what "some in Washington" believe, as he is doing more often these days, a rhetorical retort almost assuredly follows.

He typically then says he "strongly disagrees" — conveniently knocking down a straw man of his own making.

What is the point of this thread? That politicians play with words and perceptions to make their point look stronger?

MY GOD! HEAVEN FORBID! CALL IN THE ROYAL COMMISSION!!!!

Candians in general don't support the troops,

What do you know about Canadians? Nothing.

Don't ever take a quote from me out of context, you wouldn't even post the whole sentence. You are a piece of work with zero crediability. Please stop posting if you don't wish to discuss in good faith.

Canadians mostly want to leave, so says the polls. So obviously they don't support the people that want to be there, ie. the troops. Pretty solid statement.

Candians in general don't support the troops,

What do you know about Canadians? Nothing.

Don't ever take a quote from me out of context, you wouldn't even post the whole sentence. You are a piece of work with zero crediability. Please stop posting if you don't wish to discuss in good faith.

Canadians mostly want to leave, so says the polls. So obviously they don't support the people that want to be there, ie. the troops. Pretty solid statement.

I didn't take it out of context at all.

The added information changed nothing, and it only further shows how you know NOTHING about Canadians.

Canadians support their troops. Don't try and sell the Bush lie that troops=mission to us.

The troops want to serve, they want to do what they're ordered to do. Assuch, they are behind their mission. If it changes, they will remain behind it. Do not debase them as Bush does by using them as a political tool.

Your statement - "Candians in general don't support the troops," was despicable.

AP Breaking News

Saturday, March 18, 2006

snip

Hee hee! I was hoping that someone would post this claim by Jennifer Loven. Yessss! :)

Jennifer Loven, Democrat operative

Jennifer Loven's husband has worked on environmental issues for Bill Clinton and John Kerry

A new low for Jennifer Loven from that oh-so-fair-and-balanced Associated Press

Thank goodness for the AP and its reporting, but not injecting personal opinion in their reports. ;)

Pwned! :P

There is some mainstream debate about US health care being nationalised.

http://www.pnhp.org/news/2003/october/nati...ze_health_i.php

And there has been comments on the issues between muslim democracy and how impossible it really is. Even the Muslims have come out swinging.

http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/print....s04/0413-11.htm

Many people want immediate withdrawl, because the war is lost, and too much money is spent on it.

http://www.house.gov/duncan/2005/fs052405.htm (Representative from the fightin' 2nd!)

These are all real arguments and not straw-men. The article's premise is unfounded and factually incorrect.

EDITED WITH REFERENCES ADDED.