Reply & Add Reply

August1991

This "Invision Power Board" software has a serious (fatal) design flaw that comes from a programmer not knowing how users use the package.

Below a posting, there are several buttons including one that says "Reply" and another that says "Add Reply". The distinction between the two buttons is not clear, and the "Reply" button is more frequently clicked.

By clicking "Reply", the previous post (however long, and how many previous posts it too includes) is copied and added to the new post. A thread can now contain endlessly copied and repeated posts.

This is irritating, and means skipping through the same verbiage to find a new post. This package is a resource hog. This design flaw alone will make this package (and this forum) unpopular.

Greg, I don't know if it is possible to disable this feature in this package. The previous version did not allow for such ease in copying and pasting a previous post.

It would be nice if posters clicked on the correct button when replying, but the error is not the user's; it is the designer's.

This "Invision Power Board" software has a serious (fatal) design flaw that comes from a programmer not knowing how users use the package.

Below a posting, there are several buttons including one that says "Reply" and another that says "Add Reply". The distinction between the two buttons is not clear, and the "Add Reply" button is more frequently clicked.

By clicking "Add Reply", the previous post (however long, and how many previous posts it too includes) is copied and added to the new post. A thread can now contain endlessly copied and repeated posts.

This is irritating, and means skipping through the same verbiage to find a new post. This package is a resource hog. This design flaw alone will make this package (and this forum) unpopular.

Greg, I don't know if it is possible to disable this feature in this package. The previous version did not allow for such ease in copying and pasting a previous post.

It would be nice if posters clicked on the correct button when replying, but the error is not the user's; it is the designer's.

As much as I agree with you on this, I dont think it makes this forum "unpopular" I think its more human error than a programming flaw. People just chose to click add reply or reply, they no what it means but they just don't sort out what doesn't need to be in the conversation when they post a new reply.

I think people just have to pay attention that's all.