Mustapha Shag

August1991

So, when will this end? Is this serious?

FURIOUS Muslims have blasted adult shop Ann Summers for selling a blow-up male doll called MUSTAFA SHAG.

They complained that the novelty sex toy insults the Prophet Muhammad — who also has the title al-Mustafa.

The Sun

(Of course it's a blow up doll.)

Headlines were made in 1963 when it was revealed that U.S. Ambassador to India John Kenneth Galbraith had named his family cat "Ahmed," which is one of the forms of the name "Mohammed." Protest meetings were held in several cities in Pakistan, and Muslims charged Galbraith with deliberately insulting their faith. The deputy speaker of Pakistan's national assembly said that if the charge were true it was "much more serious than American arms aid to India." As it turned out, the pet was named Ahmedabad, after the city in which the cat was presented to the ambassador's children. To stifle the controversy the Galbraiths renamed the feline "Gujurat." International crisis was averted.
National Review

----

Steyn's column

FURIOUS Muslims have blasted adult shop Ann Summers for selling a blow-up male doll called MUSTAFA SHAG.

They complained that the novelty sex toy insults the Prophet Muhammad — who also has the title al-Mustafa.

The Sun

Headlines were made in 1963 when it was revealed that U.S. Ambassador to India John Kenneth Galbraith had named his family cat "Ahmed," which is one of the forms of the name "Mohammed." Protest meetings were held in several cities in Pakistan, and Muslims charged Galbraith with deliberately insulting their faith. The deputy speaker of Pakistan's national assembly said that if the charge were true it was "much more serious than American arms aid to India." As it turned out, the pet was named Ahmedabad, after the city in which the cat was presented to the ambassador's children. To stifle the controversy the Galbraiths renamed the feline "Gujurat." International crisis was averted.
National Review

----

Steyn's column

I like Steyn's quote, in typical stinging satyrical, yet accurate, Steyn fashion:

"If I were a Muslim, I'd be "hurt" and "humiliated" that the revered prophet's name is given not to latex blowup males but to so many real blowup males: The leader of the 9/11 plotters? Mohammed Atta. The British Muslim who self-detonated in a Tel Aviv bar? Asif Mohammed Hanif. The gunman who shot up the El Al counter at LAX? Heshamed Mohamed Hedayet. The former U.S. Army sergeant who masterminded the slaughter at the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania? Ali Mohamed. The murderer of Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh? Mohammed Bouyeri. The notorious Sydney gang rapist? Mohammed Skaf. The Washington sniper? John Allen Muhammed. If I were a Muslim, I would be deeply offended that the prophet's name is the preferred appellation of so many killers and suicide bombers on every corner of the earth."

The Sun

National Review

----

Steyn's column

I like Steyn's quote, in typical stinging satyrical, yet accurate, Steyn fashion:

"If I were a Muslim, I'd be "hurt" and "humiliated" that the revered prophet's name is given not to latex blowup males but to so many real blowup males: The leader of the 9/11 plotters? Mohammed Atta. The British Muslim who self-detonated in a Tel Aviv bar? Asif Mohammed Hanif. The gunman who shot up the El Al counter at LAX? Heshamed Mohamed Hedayet. The former U.S. Army sergeant who masterminded the slaughter at the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania? Ali Mohamed. The murderer of Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh? Mohammed Bouyeri. The notorious Sydney gang rapist? Mohammed Skaf. The Washington sniper? John Allen Muhammed. If I were a Muslim, I would be deeply offended that the prophet's name is the preferred appellation of so many killers and suicide bombers on every corner of the earth."

Good point indeed. Many muslims agree with some of these people though.