CPC MP Anders AWOL

I have always despised my MP, now more so than ever. The trouble is, I was thinking of supporting the conservatives...but I cannot vote for Anders. If anyone recalls, he was the one who refused to shake Nelson Mandela's hand, and was the lone holdout that would have otherwise given a unanimous decision to give Mandela 'honorary Canadian citizenship'. He is also against a bill to amend the animal cruelty act, something I believe deeply in. Further, I don't like what he is presently up to...

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Election/2006/...401026-sun.html

For a much of this campaign, Anders was reportedly away from his home riding. Originally, Anders' team said the MP was away because he'd gone to the B.C. interior early in the new year to help a Conservative candidate win a seat in the Kootenays.

But there was no confirmation that Anders ever made it to there to help Tory hopeful Derek Zeisman, who was in a car wreck before Christmas and is now facing smuggling charges.

My problem is that the other two parties that I might vote for, the NDP and the Greens, are both running 19 yr old university students in Calgary West. I don't feel that a 19 yr old (call me biased) is 'up to snuff' regarding 'running our country', and I want the liberals gone. What to do, what to do....

Anders gets a bad rap. I don't agree with his mysterious lack of visability in his riding, but I think Anders is one of the most principled people in politics right now (whether you agree with those principles or not).

Nelson Mandela was the leader of a terrorist group. This is fact. Whether he was running the group directly at the time of the violence is questionable. The ANC conducted militant operations against civilians. This I could never support and is by definition terrorism.

Just because someone liberates a minority doesn't mean they are not a terrorist. Freeing black people is good, leading a terrorist group is not. Same applies to a man like Arafat. I liked his attitude towards liberating the very oppressed Palestinians. I never condoned his leadership of a terrorist organization.

Anders is one of the few MP's thats ever stood against the political tide and for that I like the man. I don't agree with everything he's done or said or believes in. I do respect his dedication to what he believes and I think he'd be a great representative to your riding.

Anders wore a 'free Tibet' t-shirt to the Chinese diplomats New Years party. How many politicans, especially in a party like the CPC, would take such a stand for human rights? He also was key in bringing the Dalai Lama to Canada.

He also arranged a meeting of Canadian and Vietnamese diplomats to discuss religious freedoms. Also, he's advocated the freedom of Chinese citizens to practice their sacred Falun Gong.

If you don't agree with the Mandela statement, I can see that quite easily. But don't judge this man based only on that, he's done alot more for the defense of human rights then most of the other MP's in Ottawa.

IMR,

As much as I am not a fan of Anders, I will smile on monday night knowing that Rob Anders is the Honourable Member representing theloniusfleabag in Parliament once again.
Sadly, I believe you are right. He will most likely get in because of the colour of his sign, I expect the entire province to 'go blue'. C'est la vie.

IMR,
As much as I am not a fan of Anders, I will smile on monday night knowing that Rob Anders is the Honourable Member representing theloniusfleabag in Parliament once again.
Sadly, I believe you are right. He will most likely get in because of the colour of his sign, I expect the entire province to 'go blue'. C'est la vie.

Ah, in this lousy system what difference does it make if it's Anders or a cocker spaniel. The only function Anders serves is to give the CBC some good sound bites to rail on the Cons for.

Dear geoffrey,

A quick question...

Anders wore a 'free Tibet' t-shirt to the Chinese diplomats New Years party. How many politicans, especially in a party like the CPC, would take such a stand for human rights?
Who was the PM at the time?

I actually don't know TLFB, he was first elected in '97 so it was either Chretien or Martin? I don't think it matters?

I critize all parties equally for their false support of human rights issues, none of them do enough in my opinion in actually attempting to fix this problems. Don't take that as a partisan attack, but just in support of an MP that actually took a stand.