Farewell & Adieu Monsieur Justin Trudeau...!!!

I must say, I take considerable personal pleasure in seeing the prime minister of Canada currently flailing helplessly about of late, not unlike an overturned turtle...

It all stems back to 2015 days, when I actually championed Justin Trudeau with my friends as being the last hope that the Liberal party of Canada so very desperately was in need of to simply retain a modicum of legitimacy. Here was a potential leader who was just perfect to fit the bill: he was young, fresh, affable, quite attractive-looking, and brought a family with him to the mix. He was different from all of his predecessors. And the best thing of all? He sported the exact same last name of his father, Pierre Elliott Trudeau that -- for better, or for worse -- carried instant name recognition & resonance with Canadians everywhere.

But after watching him just 2 - 3 times on the evening TV news back then, it became very much apparent to me that whatever bounty may have blessed the top of his head, it wasnot matched by any inner access. This reality was made more than apparent by his style of public speaking: in cozy one-on-one scenarios and public speech engagements he was all in pontificating & lecture mode, deliberately pausing for interpretive effect -- but with his eyes rapidly diverting focus to one side ahead of him, as if he was reading some sort of an  instant oral-to-visual-teleprompter situated just out of view. And his impromptu scrums with the press were entertainment personified as I eventually caught-on & took delight in counting the very many "uh's" that he'd habitually intersperse in his responses.

Trudeau enjoyed and essentially became empowered with unchallenged years of impotent & ineffective Conservative leadership, & mistakenly came to assume that that party's perennial weakness was, in fact, nothing but a sure sign of his own personal strength & extensions of his boundless ego & arrogance.

But in intervening years all of Trudeau's mis-steps both in the economy & on the world stage had gone through what can only be described as having been periods of "gestation", & were coming home to roost & to haunt him. And worse still, the Conservative party of Canada finally selected a leader who essentially "takes no prisoners" & actually derives great personal pleasure in skewering the prime minister both publicly and in the House.

Now, this is hardly a personal endorsement of Pierre Poilievre -- he has baggage of his own to wrestle with -- but it is a sigh of relief in that the majority of Canadians are able to, at long last, see what I saw some 8 - 9 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...