Opposition Agrrement on Election

There is a way of voting no-confidence and bringing down a government. That way is by defeating it on a money bill. This "compromise" os som[ly gamesmanship and Layton has disappointed me to the point where, for the first time, I may vote Liberal.

"We don't like your government but we dare not oppose your budget and annoy the voters, so will you please sign a piece of paper to say that you will relinquish government when we want you to."

What a crock!

Theloniousfleabag (Monk fan I presume?), I would have to say that the posturing started last year after the Liberal's won there minority, the problem with a CPC minority is that you can bet the ND's and the Liberal's will beat them with a no confidence as soon as they can resulting in yet another election (presuming they have enough combined seats to do so). They will claim this as a moral victory for the electorate and we will be back where we started, a Liberal minority.

Just my prediction.

"We don't like your government but we dare not oppose your budget and annoy the voters, so will you please sign a piece of paper to say that you will relinquish government when we want you to."
In practice, how is that any different from Martin saying, "I will sign a paper promising to call an election next year."

eureka, the fact of the matter is that the Liberals appear very, very arrogant right now and like many arrogant people, it is not obviously apparent to them that others perceive them that way.

In the coming election, it is likely that the Liberals will be re-elected (although I doubt they'll get a majority). But you and I both know that the only reason the Liberals may win is because, particularly for Ontario voters, there is no palatable alternative.

The federal Liberal Party is embroiled in a scandal directly related to its handling of Quebec and setting two party factions, divided in their view of Quebec, viciously against one another.

In the next election, the BQ will win over 60 seats in Quebec (with over 50% of the vote) making any majority government difficult.

It is in this sense that Canada's federal political system has reached an impasse.

----

If Quebec were to separate, if Quebec voters were not participating in this election, the federal Liberal Party as it is known now would not be vying for votes because it simply would not exist. The Conservatives and the NDP would still be around, largely in the form they are now.

Since Quebec cannot separate, why do you not try a little logic that incorporates that fact and persuade Quebec voters to stop obstructing democratic governemtn in Canada.?

Tell them to go back to voting for a party that reflects economic and social concerns - not sedition. They have a choice of three or four with the Greens.

And no, this "compromise" is not the same as Marin making a committment to call an election. He has done that and is prepared to stick by it, apparently. This "compromise" request is not asking for any compromise. It is demanding that the compromise that the Liberals made be scuppered in favour of what the opposition thought was an opportune time for itself.

I think it will backfire: perhaps even in Quebec if the Liberals play it intelligently there. Duceppe does not have the smarts or the intellect to step outside his fanatics dream.

I think those that are talking about replacing Martin should seriously look at the party that they support. There is no way the population is willing to hand the reins to Harper. Won't happen. Maybe McKay, definately Stronach but too late for that.

And as far as the rest goes, Mr Martin is the PM now, his party is governing this country. If the opposition wants to pull this government down on a non confidence vote, that is their right. I've yet to see a reason as to why Martin should follow along with this 'compromise'

And as far as the rest goes, Mr Martin is the PM now, his party is governing this country.  If the opposition wants to pull this government down on a non confidence vote, that is their right.  I've yet to see a reason as to why Martin should follow along with this 'compromise'

I have to agree with this statement...

Being principled means doing what is right even if it is unpopular or otherwise has negative consequences.

If the government has lost the moral authority to govern (which I happen to think it has) then the three opposition parties should be making every effort to oust it at the first opportunity...no flakey compromises.

Either you are right...and the voters will prefer to punish the corrupt government, or you are wrong...and you will be punished for forcing an unnecessary election. It seems to me that the fact the campaign will happen over Christmas is a red herring.

If I were Martin, I'd do exactly what he is doing...invite a proper non-confidence motion. If the three opposition parties are truly of the view the Liberals should be tossed, its a guaranteed win (no one-vote thriller this time).

Declaring that the corrupt government should fall...but only if my poll numbers are good...is the worst example of "dithering" yet. Further, allowing a corrupt government to deal with a bunch of important issues like a First-Nations summit and other matters on the order paper makes no sense. Better to delay the matters at all costs than to have a government with no remaining mandate making commitments on behalf of Canada.

That we are even talking about who will take the "blame" for a Christmas campaign suggests that the Liberal government is just fine to continue governing.

If they have no moral authority to govern, shouldn't Harper, Layton and Duceppe be clamouring over who gets the "credit" for being the hero who brought down the corrupt government?

As a traditionally small "c" conservative voter, I say bring them down immediately so we as voters can pass judgment. If you're not prepared to do that, then shut the "f" up and earn your salaries.

FTA Lawyer

P.S. My apologies for the expletive...but I hope most will agree it was well-placed.