Germany's National Election 2005

mirror

I can't totally agree with tha, Toro. The German social model, like much of Europe, has has eschewed the idea of "WalMart" type work, of no benefit employment, and contract work at less tha fair wages. Europe has consciously avoided this North America model and has chosen to tax higher and give better unemployment benefite.

It has gone too far, but so have we. The indirect costs here probably make up some of the direct benefits to Europeans.

And, those jobs are not really necessary in North America - many of them. They are a way of giving short hours to an increased number of workers. This is not some generous spreading of the misery. It is creating misery by depriving these many of the hours required for EI and by dodging the necessity of providing employment benefits.

I have no figures, but think the real unemployment rates are not so very much

different.

I am not surprised that some German capitalists are moving their operations to cheaper jurisdictions. Is that not we are doing? Or are you of the opinion that we should do what some N. Americans wish. That is to convert the workforce to a third world labour pool to save them the bother of arranging affairs hre.

But most jobs in the United States are not WalMart type jobs. Wages in this country are growing at about 3% per year. That's okay, not great, and will probably lag returns on capital for the next several years.

You can see the composition of the labour force here

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/suppl/empsit.ceseeb1.txt

You can see that there are 134 million employed on nonfarms in the United States. 26 million are in trade, transportation and utilities, while 12.8 million are in leisure and hospitality. Those are where you'll find retail, waiters, etc. The fastest growing sectors are business and professional services and education and health services.

America has added about 20 million jobs each of the past 3 decades.

And I'll re-iterate - its better to have a low paying job than no job at all and collect welfare.

Re: Federal German Election

It looks like the Greens hold the balance of power. Anybody know what that means? Am I wrong?

----

Well, the SPD or East German party could hold the balance of power too. Kind of sounds like our federal parliament. (How do you say Belinda Stronach in German?)

Edited by August1991

Angela Merkel wins narrowly, but Schroeder refuses to concede

Good grief. I hope this doesn't turn into the Florida fiasco of 2000 where Gore refused to concede and tried to steal the election. :(

I'm glad Schroeder lost. It was disgusting when his party released a campaign poster featuring the flag-draped coffins of fallen American soldiers, with a caption reading "She would have sent soldiers," - a reference to Angela Merkel, who was a supporter of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Toro, have you read the August edition of the Economist. There is an interesting piece on Germany that suggests that things are on the mend there.

Last year, for instance, Germany regained its position as the World's largest exporter. And, its competitiveness is now better than Italy, France, and Britain.

I haven't read that article, but I have read other pieces suggesting this is happening. I sure hope so. It would be healthy to the global economy if Europe and/or Japan started moving again. But both areas have moved in fits and starts. You want to see some sustainability.