Layton Gears Up For Election Fight

mirror

Layton gears up for election fight

"Your party has been in power for a very long time. Poverty went up. Homelessness went up. Pollution went up. Corruption went up. And so this claim that somehow what you need is more power doesn't pass the test, Mr. Martin," Layton says. "Canadians need to be in power and what we're suggesting is that the more New Democrats you have, the more in power Canadians are going to be."

And there you have it — a key message the NDP will likely be trying to get across in the six months or so between now and the next federal election.

Most of the party's 19 MPs arrived in Toronto yesterday for a three-day retreat designed to, as Layton puts it, "set the sails" for the months ahead. The idea is to solidify strategies for both the parliamentary session that opens Sept. 26 and the election campaign that lies ahead, probably in January and February.

It promises to be a crucial period for a party that sits at 19 per cent in the polls, just behind the Tories, who have the support of 25 per cent of Canadians, according to findings from SES Research early last month.

What happens if the New Democrats who are presently within 6% of official opposition are able to close that gap leading up to the next election? Anyway Layton has three days of caucus meetings to generate some publicity for his team. That should help them when the next set of polling figures are released. It sure looks like at least one party is ready to Rock & Roll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I reflect on it the more convinced I am that some or all of the opposition parties will be trying to breing down the government after the first Gomery report which is due out on November 1. The second and final report is due Dec 15.

Link

But CTV's chief parliamentary correspondent Craig Oliver said he would be surprised if the Tories waited until Gomery's final report.

"It could be that (the Conservatives) have finally learned not to give us their strategy before they're doing things," Oliver speculated during a roundtable with other journalists on Question Period.

"It seems to me that if I were Mr. Harper, I would be trying to get together with the NDP and the Bloc and defeat the government in November ... after the first report, which really condemns what the Liberal party was up to.

What happens if the New Democrats who are presently within 6% of official opposition are able to close that gap leading up to the next election?

What happens if the rivers start flowing chocolate, Liberal corruption ends and the Leafs win the cup?

We are truly living in fantasyland! :lol::lol::lol:

NDs forming official opposition. OMG you have officially gone from annoying to deluded.

What happens if the New Democrats who are presently within 6% of official opposition are able to close that gap leading up to the next election?

What happens if the rivers start flowing chocolate, Liberal corruption ends and the Leafs win the cup?

We are truly living in fantasyland! :lol::lol::lol:

I think the NDP is going to hold the cards after the next election.... maybe not win, but certainly hold the remote control... Disaffected Liberals will be unlikely to go to the Reform/Alliance/Conservatives, or whatever they'll be called by the next election....

And disaffected Liberals might just listen to Paul Martin's own line "The Liberals and NDP aren't so different in what we stand for"... except that the public got to see who really stands behind what they say... and says what they stand for...

I think the NDP is going to hold the cards after the next election.... maybe not win, but certainly hold the remote control...  Disaffected Liberals will be unlikely to go to the Reform/Alliance/Conservatives, or whatever they'll be called by the next election.... 

And disaffected Liberals might just listen to Paul Martin's own line "The Liberals and NDP aren't so different in what we stand for"... except that the public got to see who really stands behind what they say...  and says what they stand for...

A party that has NEVER matched the vote total of any right of centre party in any election, that includes 93-97 and 2000) when their votes were split between the PCs and the Reform/Alliance, is going to all of a sudden attract all the disaffected Liberals.

Hmmm... me thinks thou art dreaming. btw wtf does hold the remote control mean?

If anyone has been paying attention in Ontario, hopefully the provincial NDP party will have ruined the NDPs chances of getting any more seats here.  Dalton McGuinty shot down the Sharia law that was suggested by an NDPer.

Dear cc

Oh me, oh my, what in the world does that have to do with anything?

How many people in Conservative Premier Grant Devine's cabinet/party went to prison?

I'm sure just because of those criminals you would not want everybody to think all Tories are crooks, would you? I don't think that.

Cheers

Dreaming of a better Canada...yes... (Hold enough seats to control the minority gov't...)

Canadians are messed up right now in their political leanings, but I just don't see them turning to the NDP as a way to recover the country from turmoil! If we wanted to go into a recession, we'd all vote NDP, if we want to keep this country on track we need to go with a right of center or centrist party and the Liberals have show that they cannot be trusted! I see the CPC as the only clear alternative to Canada's future. The lefty media needs to back off a bit. Mulroney is not a good example of today's Conservative voter. Mulroney was a wingnut at best!

Canadians as a whole are fed up with politics and feel that no politicians can be trusted, so I see a very low turnout for the next election which will work well for the NDP, because no matter how many people vote 100% of NDP supporters will make it to the polls, because they work for a union that allows 2 hours of that day to vote! Their union basically tells them that they have to vote NDP and if they don't they will be blackballed! So for all the righties calling NDP's communist, I say you are way off base!!! This is very much a democratic party!! HAHA!

Dreaming of a better Canada...yes... (Hold enough seats to control the minority gov't...)

Canadians are messed up right now in their political leanings, but I just don't see them turning to the NDP as a way to recover the country from turmoil! If we wanted to go into a recession, we'd all vote NDP, if we want to keep this country on track we need to go with a right of center or centrist party and the Liberals have show that they cannot be trusted! I see the CPC as the only clear alternative to Canada's future. The lefty media needs to back off a bit. Mulroney is not a good example of today's Conservative voter. Mulroney was a wingnut at best!

Canadians as a whole are fed up with politics and feel that no politicians can be trusted, so I see a very low turnout for the next election which will work well for the NDP, because no matter how many people vote 100% of NDP supporters will make it to the polls, because they work for a union that allows 2 hours of that day to vote! Their union basically tells them that they have to vote NDP and if they don't they will be blackballed! So for all the righties calling NDP's communist, I say you are way off base!!! This is very much a democratic party!! HAHA!

Dear Leader Circle

There is not a shred of evidence to suggest that the right is any better than the left at looking after government finances so you can remove that myth from your list.

As far as voting goes, the Canadian election act states that employess have to be allowed 4 hours to go and vote so if the polls close at 8 PM and the employee regularly finishes work at 5 PM, the employer has to allow the employee off at 4 PM, one hour early.

The union has nothing to do with how you vote as it is a secret ballot, so apart from making sure that the employer follows the law, the union has nothing to do with it. You can therefore remove that myth from your list as well.

Do you get some sense of satisfaction from union bashing with absurd and inaccurate comments about how unions function. Just because a union turned your membership application down is no reason for you to be upset.

Cheers

Dear Leader Circle

There is not a shred of evidence to suggest that the right is any better than the left at looking after government finances so you can remove that myth from your list.

As far as voting goes, the Canadian election act states that employess have to be allowed 4 hours to go and vote so if the polls close at 8 PM and the employee regularly finishes work at 5 PM, the employer has to allow the employee off at 4 PM, one hour early.

The union has nothing to do with how you vote as it is a secret ballot, so apart from making sure that the employer follows the law, the union has nothing to do with it. You can therefore remove that myth from your list as well.

Do you get some sense of satisfaction from union bashing with absurd and inaccurate comments about how unions function. Just because a union turned your membership application down is no reason for you to be upset.

Cheers

I have seen what unions tell their people about the NDP. They use scare tactics to get people to vote for the NDP. They urge union people to get active in the party, so that they can find out who is in support of the NDP. Don't tell me, they have nothing to do with the unions. They have 4 hours to go vote, so you think that most people wait for AFTER work to do this? Hell no, they go for 4 hours during work, because it is the UNION way!

As far as the union membership, I don't need one. I run my own business and am rich as hell. I try to run over an NDP or a union employee with my Hummer at least once a week!!!

Mirror, maybe where you live they allow 4 hours to vote but in Canada the election act states:

Time to Employees for Voting

Consecutive hours for voting

132. (1) Every employee who is an elector is entitled, during voting hours on polling day, to have three consecutive hours for the purpose of casting his or her vote and, if his or her hours of work do not allow for those three consecutive hours, his or her employer shall allow the time for voting that is necessary to provide those three consecutive hours.

And you must be a Canadian citizen and 18 years of age.

And if you don't have an employer, and have lots of time on your hands there is absolutely no reason for you not voting.

As far as proof that rights are better than lefts for running a fiscally responsible gov't...look at every province that was run into the ground and then try to tell me the NDP can manage money! It's that "welfare state" that makes the economy go to the shitter, because noone is working for themselves, they are dependant on their gov't to nurse them. NDP uplifts the poor, feeble & lazy, by spoon feeding them and taxes the shit out of the working man. How is this fiscally responsible? How do you help people who can't or are unwilling to help themselves?

5657438400-39093039490

Mirror, maybe  where you live they allow 4 hours to vote but in Canada the election act states:

132. (1) Every employee who is an elector is entitled, during voting hours on polling day, to have three consecutive hours for the purpose of casting his or her vote and, if his or her hours of work do not allow for those three consecutive hours, his or her employer shall allow the time for voting that is necessary to provide those three consecutive hours.

And you must be a Canadian citizen and 18 years of age.

And if you don't have an employer, and have lots of time on your hands there is absolutely no reason for you not voting.

If you don't have an employer you probably are NDP anyway! As long as that gov't cheque keeps rolling, they'll keep voting NDP. Why go to work when your gov't will look after you!

I have seen what unions tell their people about the NDP. They use scare tactics to get people to vote for the NDP. They urge union people to get active in the party, so that they can find out who is in support of the NDP. Don't tell me, they have nothing to do with the unions. They have 4 hours to go vote, so you think that most people wait for AFTER work to do this? Hell no, they go for 4 hours during work, because it is the UNION way!

As far as the union membership, I don't need one. I run my own business and am rich as hell. I try to run over an NDP or a union employee with my Hummer at least once a week!!!

Dear Leader Circle

And you wonder why Conservatives are doing so badly in the polls.

Keep up those impressive comments and the Conservatives will be back in the Kim Campbell era in number of seats.

Cheers

Mirror, maybe where you live they allow 4 hours to vote but in Canada the election act states:

Dear CES

It used to be 4 hours but perhaps it has been cut back to 3.

But what in the world are you on about?

If you finish work at 5 PM and the polls close at 8 PM, you have your 3 hours and there is no issue.

If a union has negotiated a collective agreement that provides for workers to be let off to go and vote during the working day and get paid for it as well more power to those employees. That soiunds more like what you are upset about. My only advice to you is to join a union where your work conditions will be protected. It sounds like you are jealous of unionized workers and I don't blame you. If you are in a good union like me life can be very good.

Cheers

In the last Ontario election the unions, OPSEU, CAW asked their members to vote Liberal, so that there would be no chance in hell that the Conservatives could get into power.

A lot of people would say that your are a real arsehole for your quoted comment, but I won't... Anybody who read your last paragraph can come to that conclusion by themselves....

"If a union has negotiated a collective agreement that provides for workers to be let off to go and vote during the working day and get paid for it as well more power to those employees. That soiunds more like what you are upset about. My only advice to you is to join a union where your work conditions will be protected. It sounds like you are jealous of unionized workers and I don't blame you. If you are in a good union like me life can be very good."

That's what I like about you brother,belonging to a uniion that's gloats when it rips of the employer for personal gain. Take 3 hours off,vote and get paid for 3 hours. Most people who vote,vote because they feel it's their duty...and they DON'T get paid to do it.What a social conscience you must have.Oh, I forgot,your NDP,your just full of it...social conscience that is. So what union do you belong to, COC-HED-(Canadian Organization of Conscience-Higher Education Division)?.I do belong to a union and your kind make me sick. Constantly talking about the NDP , but ripping off the system, like you have the right to.

MIRROR,go to work,get a life, and stop telling people 24/7 about the NDP. Brother, you are all the wrong things the NDP is hoping to stand for.

Dear CES

You should know how to use the quote system by now, you have been here long enough.

So what you are saying is that you are prepared to take all the benefits that you're union provides for you but you hate unions. Now that impressive logic! :lol:

PS Instead of thrashing on about other parties use some of that energy and go get a leader for your party that your party members and your candidates will support.

Cheers

In the last Ontario election the unions, OPSEU, CAW asked their members to vote Liberal, so that there would be no chance in hell that the Conservatives could get into power.

A lot of people would say that your are a real arsehole for your quoted comment, but I won't... Anybody who read your last paragraph can come to that conclusion by themselves....

That last line was a joke...but I guess you're to stupid to figure that one out!!

You must be a lefty!

Mirror, the more you post the less you make sense.

In this country, belonging to a unionized employer is NOT a matter of choice. Union dues are removed from your pay whether you like unions or not.

The more posts I see of yours the more I think you pretend to know about unions or anything union related,but in actual fact you could not possibly be a member of anything that involves work.

Keep posting brother, you,re going nowhere Monitor man.

Mirror, the more you post the less you make sense.

In this country, belonging to a unionized employer  is NOT a matter of choice. Union dues are removed from your pay whether you like unions  or not.

The more posts I see of yours  the more I think you pretend to know about unions or anything union related,but in actual fact you could not possibly be a member of anything that involves work.

Keep posting brother, you,re  going nowhere Monitor man.

Dear CES

Sorry that you are such a prisoner in Canada. Better call Amnesty International! :lol:

I didn't realize that unionized employees were not allowed to work elsewhere, oh actually they are. You can go to work anywhere you want in Canada. Stop with your moaning and leave all those wonderful union perks behind. Have the courage of your convictions, quit, and just try and get yourself a better job! But you won't I can tell. You're the type who just likes to complain about everything but won't do anything about it, because you have it so good in a union.

Cheers