Is canada In Danger Of Becoming A Police State?

Do you have confidence in the police?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Neighbours in rural N.S. town shocked by shooting death of man, 70, by police

I am not suggesting anthing about this particular incident as the details are not yet known, however it seems there has been a rising number of police incidents involving inappropriate behaviour by the police. Think of the missing women in Vancouver's East side for example.

Do you think we are admitting the wrong type of person into our police forces? Are we falling down somehow with our screening process when people apply for a policeperson's job?

I don't think that this is getting out of control or anything, I think it is just the odd number of police that are getting into the force that are corrupt I don't think it is an epidemic.

In order to solve this problem I believe we should be putting more funding to are police forces to hire more police and investigators to sniff out the bit of corruption we do have in are police deparments.

Lots of social programs. Lots of press bans. Can't take flagpoles into Skydome. That sort of thing. Actually, Canada is a nanny state.

Ontario is the only place I know that had an order on its liscence plate as its slogan.

"Keep It Beautiful."

Yah, or else...

I am not suggesting anthing about this particular incident

Then why are you posting a link to it?

as the details are not yet known, however it seems there has been a rising number of police incidents involving inappropriate behaviour by the police.

How many? Examples?

I am not suggesting anthing about this particular incident

Then why are you posting a link to it?

as the details are not yet known, however it seems there has been a rising number of police incidents involving inappropriate behaviour by the police.

How many? Examples?

If you read the link about the taser incident, there is so much more to the story. I was in Digby 2 weeks ago when this happened. I knew Paul Saulnier, and he was a big boy, but very harmless until 5 years ago when he had a nervous breakdown. After that, he was more like a mentally handicapped person. For the police to go to these lengths to subdue a man is silly. The cops in Digby have been posted there too long and have become corrupt. The one cop in this taser incident, Chris Thibodeau, has been involved in several of these incidents and truly is a piece of shit! I have a friend that watched this taser thing in Digby and he described it as murder! They had him shackled & tie strapped and were booting him in the face and tasering him like seagulls on a hotdog. Pathetic! I am sure many small towns are victims to such cops!

Because we want to protect Canada from your ilk who would let us slip in a Nazi state if we were not vigilant.

Look what happened to Grewal. The Liberals were caught with their fingers in the cookie jar possibly implicating PM Martin and the next thing you know Grewal is being investigated on some trumpted up tax wrongdoing charges.

Canada: Democracy or Police State?

For many of us, the people who have been victims of police and state violence are often "out of sight and out of mind" – and it is easy to avoid the topic. This is what Martin Niemoeller was speaking of, in a different place and a different time, but with increasingly disturbing parallels:

"In Germany, the Nazis first came for the communists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Catholic. Then they came for me... and by that time, there was no one to speak up for anyone." - Martin Niemoeller, Pastor, German Evangelical (Lutheran) Church

The guy had a gun according to the article. To me, if the cop said put it down and the guy didn't, that's enough to take him down in my eyes. It's a deadly weapon and nobody has the right to go waving that at anybody let alone the police.

Leave it to the investigators to decide if the shooting was justified or not. Until then, I give the cop the benefit of the doubt.

For many of us, the people who have been victims of police and state violence are often "out of sight and out of mind" – and it is easy to avoid the topic. This is what Martin Niemoeller was speaking of, in a different place and a different time, but with increasingly disturbing parallels:

"In Germany, the Nazis first came for the communists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Catholic. Then they came for me... and by that time, there was no one to speak up for anyone." - Martin Niemoeller, Pastor, German Evangelical (Lutheran) Church

Do you have a point, or do you just like posting nonsense?

You let me know when someone in Canada is being persecuted (imprisoned or otherwise beaten, tortured or murdered) for their beliefs and it is condoned by our government.

Otherwise, don't insult those out there that have emigrated to this country to get away from such horrible things.

If you read the link about the taser incident, there is so much more to the story. I was in Digby 2 weeks ago when this happened. I knew Paul Saulnier, and he was a big boy, but very harmless until 5 years ago when he had a nervous breakdown. After that, he was more like a mentally handicapped person. For the police to go to these lengths to subdue a man is silly. The cops in Digby have been posted there too long and have become corrupt. The one cop in this taser incident, Chris Thibodeau, has been involved in several of these incidents and truly is a piece of shit! I have a friend that watched this taser thing in Digby and he described it as murder! They had him shackled & tie strapped and were booting him in the face and tasering him like seagulls on a hotdog. Pathetic! I am sure many small towns are victims to such cops!

Whoa buddy! This is emotional drivel. Back up your statements before you slam the cops like this. I'll ignore this post if you want because it's more like coffeehouse slander than a productive post.

Otherwise, what was the guys mental state and did he resist arrest or was merely beaten to death as you say over a 'silly' subduction?

How long have the cops been posted there and how are they corrupt? Why are they still on duty if there is documented corruption?

The cop you named, what other incidents has he been involved in?

Your friend described an incident with very colorful language. You weren't there but take everything he said as factual enough to report here. Seagulls on a hot dog? Really.

Now you are sure many small towns are victims of such cops. Cops that you allege did certain things that you report second hand, allegedly corrupt with no facts to back it up.

Are you sure you don't want to maybe edit that post?

There are those bad egg cops; I've had personal experiences and many of my friends have also with the small town and city cops.

By and large though, our force is pretty good I think. Remember the things these guys are up against, and understand they are humans. Its my experience that these small time cops with attitudes can be curbed by a vocal township.

Do you have a point, or do you just like posting nonsense?

You let me know when someone in Canada is being persecuted (imprisoned or otherwise beaten, tortured or murdered) for their beliefs and it is condoned by our government.

Otherwise, don't insult those out there that have emigrated to this country to get away from such horrible things.

Ever hear of Mahar Arar?

One thing I have never understood is those police funerals where there are those massive dispalys of police presence. It is like the police are trying to say a police death is more important than any other citizen's death which is absolute nonsense.

We are all equal here and a policeman's death is no more, and no less, important than that of any other citizen of Canada! :ph34r:

We are all equal here and a policeman's death is no more, and no less, important than that of any other citizen of Canada!
I disagree - police, like firemen and soldiers, have chosen to do an essential job which regularly puts them at risk of death or injury. They are compensated for doing that job, however, they still deserve some degree of respect to choosing to put themselves in harm's way. Therefore, a policeman's death at the hands of criminal is more significant than the death of other citizens.

There are bad cops out there no doubt but I think the majority are good cops that serve us well.

Would you like to be a cop today? If a cop uses his gun in anyway he is off duty until an investigation is complete!

The cops put someone away and a few weeks later he's walking the sreets again this must be very frustrating for them.

You rough up a criminal and your in trouble.

Something wrong folks. Some cops are bad no doubt but hey ALL CRIMINALS ARE BAD!

HELLO!!!

Whoa buddy! This is emotional drivel. Back up your statements before you slam the cops like this. I'll ignore this post if you want because it's more like coffeehouse slander than a productive post.

Otherwise, what was the guys mental state and did he resist arrest or was merely beaten to death as you say over a 'silly' subduction?

How long have the cops been posted there and how are they corrupt? Why are they still on duty if there is documented corruption?

The cop you named, what other incidents has he been involved in?

Your friend described an incident with very colorful language. You weren't there but take everything he said as factual enough to report here. Seagulls on a hot dog? Really.

Now you are sure many small towns are victims of such cops. Cops that you allege did certain things that you report second hand, allegedly corrupt with no facts to back it up.

Are you sure you don't want to maybe edit that post?

I would not edit this at all. If you were to check the record for this guy, you would find a whole bunch of complaints about him. I know this guy and he is a scumbag! He has been punished by his superiors more than once. He is not the only one either. I have first hand knowledge of cops from this detachment and they treat this town like they own it. This is an opinion forum and if you can't take my word for it, then don't bother.

RE::I have first hand knowledge of cops from this detachment and they treat this town like they own it. This is an opinion forum and if you can't take my word for it, then don't bother.

So that makes all cops bad as far as you're concerned?

I've been to Digby my friend I was stationed in H.M.C.S. Cornwallis for boot camp training! Digby was a small town then so my question is how big is the police force there?

Is there a drug problem?

Hey I agree and I've stated that all cops are not perfect but I know for a fact THAT ALL CRIMINALS ARE BAD NEWS! :angry:

One thing I have never understood is those police funerals where there are those massive dispalys of police presence. It is like the police are trying to say a police death is more important than any other citizen's death which is absolute nonsense.
That's not true. An offence against a policeman is similar to an offence against a black or a gay. Too often, the crime occurs simply for being what the person is. Such crimes must be dealt with more severely.

The solidarity among police strikes me as normal too. They are telling potential offenders that they treat crime against a police officer differently.

With that said, there are obviously serious problems in the Digby RCMP detachments:

People living in a small village in southwestern Nova Scotia are struggling to understand how their neighbour, a 70-year-old retired bank manager, avid hunter and outdoorsman, ended up being gunned down near his home in a confrontation with police.
CTV